mcat 25Q :-/ what do I do?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smba17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the mcat twice and thought I did way better the second time, but ended up with a 25 (6 VR, 7 PS, 12 BS). The first time I got a 21 so I suppose this is an improvement.

I have a 3.69 cGPA from undergrad and so far a 4.0 in my masters program (MPH) at a top 10 university. I have tons of clinical/volunteer experience both here and in Africa. Some minimal lab research experience. I'm also from North Africa, so I guess race can make a difference...?

Nonetheless, I feel like I shouldn't even waste my money on MD applications..any thoughts? Should I even apply DO?

Members don't see this ad.

You take your time and study again and prepare for the retake. Use new strategies to study. Do not retake until you are consistently scoring above an 8 on every section. I cannot emphasize this enough. It's only January, you still have time for a retake for May. Enroll in a course. Study with a partner. Use new material. Do whatever you need to do to make sure you improve.Take a year off and study if you need to. You've already invested so much time into prepping for med school, what's another year? It is definitely possible to pull up that 6 and 7. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Even if you end up with an 8 and 8 in verbal and physical science, you'll have a shot at DO. If you want to be a physician, then definitely go ahead and apply! Unless your ECs are outstanding, I would limit MD schools to your state schools and lower tier schools unless you have extra money to throw away.

add Meharry and Howard perhaps?

Take a prep course. Princeton review is good. You obviously need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the mcat twice and thought I did way better the second time, but ended up with a 25 (6 VR, 7 PS, 12 BS). The first time I got a 21 so I suppose this is an improvement.

I have a 3.69 cGPA from undergrad and so far a 4.0 in my masters program (MPH) at a top 10 university. I have tons of clinical/volunteer experience both here and in Africa. Some minimal lab research experience. I'm also from North Africa, so I guess race can make a difference...?

Nonetheless, I feel like I shouldn't even waste my money on MD applications..any thoughts? Should I even apply DO?
I think you have a chance at a DO acceptance somewhere as you are.

Yes, by all means apply to DO schools. You'll be getting plenty of interviews based upon your numbers. Your MCAT is, alas, not competetive for any MD school.

You take your time and study again and prepare for the retake. Use new strategies to study. Do not retake until you are consistently scoring above an 8 on every section. I cannot emphasize this enough. It's only January, you still have time for a retake for May. Enroll in a course. Study with a partner. Use new material. Do whatever you need to do to make sure you improve.Take a year off and study if you need to. You've already invested so much time into prepping for med school, what's another year? It is definitely possible to pull up that 6 and 7. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Even if you end up with an 8 and 8 in verbal and physical science, you'll have a shot at DO. If you want to be a physician, then definitely go ahead and apply! Unless your ECs are outstanding, I would limit MD schools to your state schools and lower tier schools unless you have extra money to throw away.

add Meharry and Howard perhaps?

I agree. Take a prep course and take the exam by April. It would be worth giving it one more try for the chance to get an MD interview, or even multiple DO acceptances.

i agree. Take a prep course and take the exam by april. It would be worth giving it one more try for the chance to get an md interview, or even multiple do acceptances.

+1

Take a prep course and take the exam by April. It would be worth giving it one more try for the chance to get an MD interview, or even multiple DO acceptances.

i disagree with this. If your 21 MCAT on first attempt didn't already disqualify you from MD admission getting a 25 when you retook likely did. even if you get a 30 on your third try you'll have a very hard time convincing any adcom to take you over someone who got a 29 or 30 on their first attempt.

my advice is to apply DO right now and stop wasting your time ...i think you'd get in somewhere

as for race ...if by north african you mean arab then no, you are not URM, in fact you are ORM and putting "african american" on your app might be viewed as disingenuous when you show up for your interview