MCAT 30 GPA 3.4 sGPA 3.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2xd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so my over all GPA is a 3.4 this is because I fail two classes Music and Economics.I retook them and got an A but I know that for MD they get calculated.
Im hispanic and NJ resident.

I have shadow an MD and DO.
Done volunteer work in a 3rd World Country.(Hospital and teaching English)
Plan to volunteer in a hospice
Done a year of research.

What are my chances?What schools should I apply?Any Advices??

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

What was your MCAT breakdown? Are you considered URM? Any other volunteering? Are you applying this cycle? Need some more info.

Chances great for DO

Chances alright for MD with URM. Beef up your ECs a bit more. Also, apply early.

Low to mid-tier MD (with mostly low). I think you can apply to mid and upper level DO and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you failed two non-BCPM classes and not, say, organic chemistry, makes those failures a bit less worrisome.

Also, an Hispanic applicant with a 3.4 cGPA and a 30 MCAT has an 80.6% chance of MD admissions. That number is probably a bit inflated since that category is lumped with GPAs as high as 3.59 and MCAT scores as high as 32, but I think you'll still be good to go as far as AAMC is concerned.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

Hi thanks for responding ......I will be applying next cycle and as a URM. As far as my MCAT i have only done practice but Im pretty sure I can get a 30+.I plan to apply as soon as the application opens.
What kind of EC should I do??

Thank you

The fact that you failed two non-BCPM classes and not, say, organic chemistry, makes those failures a bit less worrisome.

Also, an Hispanic applicant with a 3.4 cGPA and a 30 MCAT has an 80.6% chance of MD admissions. That number is probably a bit inflated since that category is lumped with GPAs as high as 3.59 and MCAT scores as high as 32, but I think you'll still be good to go as far as AAMC is concerned.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

Thanks

What was your MCAT breakdown? Are you considered URM? Any other volunteering? Are you applying this cycle? Need some more info.
Hi thanks for responding ......I will be applying next cycle and as a URM. As far as my MCAT i have only done practice but Im pretty sure I can get a 30+.I plan to apply as soon as the application opens.
What kind of EC should I do??

Thank you

"Done volunteer work in a 3rd World Country.(Hospital and teaching English)"

In case you're ever in an interview or writing this on an application I would use the phrase "developing nation" or something of the sort as opposed to "3rd world". I've been told "third world" is less politically correct.

Try to get some more hospital / hospice (clinical) volunteering andsome non-clinical volunteering if you have the time.