MCAT 507 3.67c 3.34s where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbx-8995-1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am applying this cycle with a cumulative Gpa of 3.67 from UCLA + CC (I am a transfer student) and a science Gpa of 3.34. There is not an upward trend, if anything a downward trend. However, I have worked throughout my academic career and am 21 years old and will be applying with disadvantaged status because my family and I have received federal aid ever since we immigrated to the United states in 2000.

I have over 1000 hours of clinical and non clinical community service as well as shadowing and I just got a research position at UCLA.

just wondering what my chances are? I know my scores are a bit below average. Should I do a post Bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you interested in applying to for MD schools? Your chances for a MD acceptance are ~50%. I suggest applying to at least 10 DO schools also and you are competitive for all DO schools.

I also think you should do as above poster said

DO isn't a downgrade. GL man

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a CA resident so I have currently applied to every single CA MD school. I have no problem reapplying next year so I only want to do MD programs this time around.

I just would like to know which out of state programs would be worth pursuing.

also would doing a post bacc improve my chances significantly?

I also think you should do as above poster said

DO isn't a downgrade. GL man

I def don't have a problem applying to DO. I just feel given my age I can afford to reapply so I'd like to take advantage of it. I'm hoping my 25-30hrs of work every year will be taken into consideration when looking at my gpa. I think my mcat score shows that I definetly am capable of getting the grades

I am a CA resident so I have currently applied to every single CA MD school. I have no problem reapplying next year so I only want to do MD programs this time around.

You already have a good GPA so I do not believe you need to do a post bacc. Your weakness is your MCAT score. OOS schools you could apply to with your stats include:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth

is your sGPA include science classes taken at CC, and if so how many/what were they?

I would say you have an okay chance as long as youapply broad

It is often more difficult to gain acceptance as a reapplicant. It is always best to wait and apply when you have the strongest application. Since you have already applied to all CA MD schools, I highly recommend you add OOS MD schools and DO schools.

Out of 6,520 CA applicants, only 910 were able to matriculate to a CA MD schools this past year. Given your stats are below avg at most of these schools, you should add schools such as:
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
OUWB

Along with DO schools which others can recommend

Last edited:
My GPA in including CC
I only took 1 yr of Bio and 1 year of chem over there. As well as 1 calc class.
There is definetly a disparity between my CC gpa (straight As) to my UCLA gpa.

I do not want to fluff myself up at all. I just want a straight answer and what you guys are telling me makes me feel a bit better. I'm hoping The new med school in Elk Grove, Northstate will give me a chance.

My MCAT dist was
129 physics chem (idk how...)
125 CARS (I was scoring 128-129 on this...)
125 Bio
128 Soc and psych (i'm a Psych major)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take a look at the lists for years past of where some UCLA grads went to med school. Only about 10% of grads entered their info each year, but it will still give you some idea which OOS schools tend to like UCLA grads. St Louis and Ohio St seem to like Bruins. Check on the MSAR to see how well your stats fit for the schools that have accepted 3-4 UCLA grads in past years.

http://www.career.ucla.edu/Students/Resources-Reports-and-Media/Med-School-Stats

Google "medical schools with high out of state acceptances" and there should be a webpage from Amherst college that uses an objective rating to say how fairly they OOS or IS applicants. That may help you. UNLV is opening a medical school soon, may want to look into that. CU Boulder also has quite a few OOSers if I recall

With that sGPA, and a declining GPA trend, I can't recommend any MD school.

Well, the low sGPA and the downward trend is precisely why I asked about a post bacc. At this point my family conditions have stabilized to a degree that I might be able to quit working and focus just on school to show that I can get the grades if I have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile