Mcat And Sat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visualwealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
List your MCAT and SAT...

I want to see the correlation...

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno... maybe 900=20... It's a good question. I suppose you could do 200=0 but I don't think that'd be as solid as a mid-line estimate.

dopaminophile said:
I dunno... maybe 900=20... It's a good question. I suppose you could do 200=0 but I don't think that'd be as solid as a mid-line estimate.
I'm in over my head. Here's the data set I'm working with, please guide me:
SAT MCAT
1460 36
1405 30
1310 34
1220 31
1550 32
1330 31
1240 29
1430 35
1560 34
1170 27
1330 30
1550 39
1240 30
1410 36
1360 32
1450 31
1480 36
1380 30
1530 37
1270 28
1180 30
1410 37
1540 38
1480 35
1110 30
1270 35
1530 33
1420 37
1310 29
1330 39
1450 39
1390 36
1260 31
1350 29
1140 28
1210 30
1330 35
1580 33
1420 34
1300 32

I am reminded of how useless excel can be when you're trying to do this. I don't have a copy of minitab either. I guess you can't set more than one intercept on excel and it has to be at x=0. I tried doing 200=0 with a couple of different polynomial trendlines but it just isn't hacking it. The data isn't great and it's actually trying to force the MCAT down as the SAT approaches 1600. Oh well... seems there isn't a solid correlation at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forcing the line through, say, (1600, 43) would not be a good idea because most 1600s won't get 43s. Does anyone remember how to calculate standard deviation from the trendline in the y-values? That would be the best way to account for variations, because the data really look pretty linear all along the curve.

I don't see a trend, here is a copy of my excel sheets that I'm working with:

http://web.csuchico.edu/~jc230/screwball.xls

Also here are some equations, I didn't think it was right to have set a particular intercept. It would be more accurate if I showed the other part of the regression analysis besides the equation but it would just further demonstrate the lack of correlation. If there is a correlation I wouldn't expect it to be linear but I did a linear plot because I don't think any particular plot would fit the data very well:

MCAT vs. SAT: y = 0.0129x + 16.066

MCAT vs. ACT: y = 0.3967x + 20.502

MCAT vs. SAT Verbal: y = 0.0298x + 13.754

MCAT vs. SAT Math: y = 0.0265x + 15.528

Medikit said:
I don't see a trend, here is a copy of my excel sheets that I'm working with:

http://web.csuchico.edu/~jc230/screwball.xls

Also here are some equations, I didn't think it was right to have set a particular intercept. It would be more accurate if I showed the other part of the regression analysis besides the equation but it would just further demonstrate the lack of correlation. If there is a correlation I wouldn't expect it to be linear but I did a linear plot because I don't think any particular plot would fit the data very well:

MCAT vs. SAT: y = 0.0129x + 16.066

MCAT vs. ACT: y = 0.3967x + 20.502

MCAT vs. SAT Verbal: y = 0.0298x + 13.754

MCAT vs. SAT Math: y = 0.0265x + 15.528

The analysis is flawed based on SDN being a very biased sample. It would also be even better if you did Deming regression and linear regression to show deviations in the Y and X axes, respectively....but let's stop with this silly, silly nonsense prediction before it gets too nerdy.

Whitney said:
Though this seems to be generally true, Wash U does in fact ask for SATs on their secondary app......kinda weird.
Maybe that's a reason not to apply to Wash U. Life is too short for that kind of grief.

I think a big part of the problem is that the people who are willing to post their scores tend to have a reasonable SAT or MCAT. No scores were given under 27, nor were there SAT scores at or below 1100.

Medikit said:
I think a big part of the problem is that the people who are willing to post their scores tend to have a reasonable SAT or MCAT. No scores were given under 27, nor were there SAT scores at or below 1100.
it doesn't totally work that way either; I (and i'm sure many others also) had "reasonable" SAT and MCAT and didn't post it either.

Pembleton said:
What's 'pre-centering' of SAT?
In 1993 they tweaked the verbal scores. The new scores were considerably higher than the old ones. There's a conversion chart at ETS.

Members don't see this ad :)
neoncandle said:
SAT 1330
MCAT 35

So, I did better percentile-wise on the MCAT despite years of drinking my brain cells away. :)

same story...4 years of ruining my memory

SAT 1460
MCAT 35R

SAT 1330 and 1450 (1 year apart)
MCAT 32Q and 35N (3 years apart)

I think there is a correlation...

So, geek that I am, I took Liverotcod's data from above, added my own best scores of 1310 (from 1991, pre-adjustment) and 39, and did a Pearson Correlation analysis.

For 41 samples, and 39 degrees of freedom, I got a Pearson Correlation Coefficient of 0.582. The criterion value for 35 degrees of freedom is .325 for p<0.05, so we can conclude that this is a statistically significant correlation.

I don't have Pearson tables for p<0.01 or lower, so I can't really tell you what the actual p value is for this data set.

1450 sats (760 verbal)

so that predicts me at something like 35 that is, if I work hard in college and don't become a pompous bastard

Singing Devil said:
So, geek that I am, I took Liverotcod's data from above, added my own best scores of 1310 (from 1991, pre-adjustment) and 39, and did a Pearson Correlation analysis.

For 41 samples, and 39 degrees of freedom, I got a Pearson Correlation Coefficient of 0.582. The criterion value for 35 degrees of freedom is .325 for p<0.05, so we can conclude that this is a statistically significant correlation.

I don't have Pearson tables for p<0.01 or lower, so I can't really tell you what the actual p value is for this data set.

No you can't, the Pearson correlation forces a normal distribution and SDN is a biased sample. Analyis invalid.

Friendly said:
No you can't, the Pearson correlation forces a normal distribution and SDN is a biased sample. Analyis invalid.

Well, yes, I assumed a normal distribution, or at least close to normal, and I also assumed that we were looking at MCAT-SAT correlation for SDNers, not for the population as a whole (which is biased because not all people who take the SAT take the MCAT).

If anyone is really that concerned about the non-normal distribution, they can convert the data to a ranking and do a Spearman ranked correlation.

Sat: 1340
Mcat: 28 (B-10 P-8 V-10)

I find it hard to believe you could find any correlation based on the sizeable amount of variable involved. Obviously my numbers don't correlate well. I personally do much better in verbal/literary learning than numerical calculation/mathematics. It's an interesting theory, but would never be practical to study.

My Two Cents

1. If you are making a statistical analysis based on a data set of SDN posters it will be invariably biased and skewed. There is a propensity for only those who have a high correlation or good scores to report.

2. Though one cannot take an individual score and apply it reasonably to any conclusion, my numbers are as follows. I have always been competent at standardized testing. I went into the MCATS with a 3.97 GPA and failed to adequately prepare, portraying my level of immaturity at the time. Be it for a 12 day cram session I left the exam fairly stressed out and full of humility. With that being said, I scored a rather bland 26 on my MCATS. All you on your high and mighty horses, call out the firing squad, this guy cannot possibly cut it, I must be a ***** you are thinking right?

3. 1320 SAT, 3.97 GPA, 26 MCAT. Among the rest of my profile (not included) it is fairly obvious what stands askew. The predictive validity of such a test is fairly low unless an individual score resides outside one standard deviation from the mean. Though rather crummy, my score is within a SD, really had no bearing on my acceptance to medical school. I am currently very happy in medical school and excelling at the top ten% of my class in every examination. In summary, those of you who are stuck up on what you may score on your MCAT, it really is no big deal. Right now you cannot see beyond the immediacy of getting into medical school. However, that is only the very beginning of the journey. Trust me, you will all get in be it today, tomorrow or three years from now. There are bigger things to worry about. You are still going to have to work your butt off in Medical School/Residency/as a Clinician no matter what your profile may be. Really, is MCAT an aptitude test? Or...is it really a knowledge of baseline sciences; that needs to be feverishly studied for, however is flaunted (or sheapgoated) as a strict marker of sole aptitude? Is this the trap I fell into? Or…should I be stigmatized as inherently inferior and doomed for failure on boards?

4. So what is the purpose of the MCAT? The root of success in medical school is that you have the propensity to learn the material (as indicated by a high MCAT score) and that you are motivated to spend the time to learn it (as indicated by other factors). Therefore, solely having a high MCAT score tells me nothing. Gone is the lore of the medical student who rarely studies and does well. Sure I know a few "gunners" who try to pass off such a persona. However, such genius is not possible at this level. A student with a 4.0 undergraduate GPA shows me that they equally have the propensity to succeed in medical school no matter what their MCAT score within SD norms. "But where did they go to undergrad", blah blah, a mere bump in this rationale that I am not even going to address.

Does this sound strange and liberal? Has it been formulated in some dark corner of my psyche to make me feel better about myself? No! I flaunt such a rationale on a regular basis when I am discussing potentials such as you and yes you too. I am apart of the interview process at my medical school, something that I take great pride and effort in. Call me biased, but this is the approach I take when attempting the arduous task of determining a potentially competent physician

SAT: 1260 :oops:

Dont remember the breakdown. Took the test completely cold. Studied maybe one day. Had absolutely zero motivation and even less in the way of organizational skills toward the end of high school. This is a very old number as I am a non-trad returning for a second career.

GRE: 740 out of 800 on Verbal 720 out of 800 on Math :) :cool:

I took the GREs back when there were only two parts. Studied for three months non-stop. Back then the 740 verbal score was 96th percentile and the 720 math score was 94th percentile. I do not remember my numerical score on the subject matter GRE but I do remember the percentile rankings for the basic GRE scores bracketed the specialty score so I was in the 95th percentile on the subject matter GRE.

GMAT: 680 out of 800

This was in the 80th percentile. Studied and practiced with sample tests for three months. This test cannot have any correlation between the exam results and success in a graduate business management program. The math section is focused on high school geometry, a subject that almost every business manager uses constantly. :rolleyes: :mad: :confused: :thumbdown: The verbal section was equally well thought out. I have nothing but contempt for this test.

MCAT: VR 10 PS 13 BS 13 WS S

This is from the August 2004 administration of the MCAT. :D :cool:

To all of you young folks:

What is the ACT? :confused:

Never heard of that one.

Hmmm...

First and only attempt at each:

SAT I: V- 720 M-790 (Composite:1510)
MCAT: V- 8 PS- 13 BS- 12 (Composite: 33)

I royally screwed up my verbal on the MCAT and there is absolutely no way I can explain it. I was scoring in the 9-11 range on tests 5r-7r so kinda hard for me to understand but I'm not going to whine anymore since I'm going to USC !!! :D :D :D

I'll be taking the GMAT pretty soon (by June or July) and maybe I'll dig out this thread at that time and post what I got since there seem to be very few people who have taken/posted GMAT scores on this thread. I'm very interested by what I will score on the GMAT verbal...anyone who has taken it know how it compares to the verbal portions of GRE and MCAT (which one is it closer to) ?

Here's one to blow the correlation:

SAT: 1260
MCAT: 36R

00ps!

SAT 1510 (710 Math 800 Verbal or whatever the sections are)
ACT 34
MCAT 34 P (13VR 11PS 10BS)

Resistance is futile, and so is trying to make correlations from biased data!!!

josh81883 said:
Sat: 1300
Mcat: 32p

MCAT: 30
ACT: 30
SAT: Didn't take the dumb thing!

Any coincidence that the MCAT and ACT are both graded in Iowa City? Conspiracy perhaps?

ACT = 25
MCAT = 26
Predicted = 30

I might mention that I have a severe case of test taking anxiety...

The only thing I'm getting from this thread is I need to let one one of my sisters take the mcat for me.

;)

DantheMan05 said:
Sat: 1560 (v: 800, M: 760)
Mcat: 40q (bs: 14, Ps: 13, V: 13)
did you study really hard dantheman, or are you naturally gifted? Be frank, no need to be modest.

Hermit MMood said:
did you study really hard dantheman, or are you naturally gifted? Be frank, no need to be modest.

my guess...dan is very gifted! those are some scores

Hermit MMood said:

I don't have much of a work ethic, frankly, but I put in a few good hours taking three of the AAMC tests a couple weeks before the MCAT. I also took the $25 physical sciences course that my school offers (taught by students - screw Kaplan). But I didn't study per se so much as did a fair number of physical sciences problems (started out as a 10 on my first AAMC test) and took the AAMC tests 3-6. Didn't do any practice for the essay though, which showed, I guess.

bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb bumb

Not nessecarily

SAT: 1250
ACT: 26

MCAT: 33Q

I didn't prepare for the SAT or ACT at all. So that might have to do with it. Plus I think differently than most which catches me in many of the traps.

If you scored lower than 1300, I wouldn't be worried. I didn't study that hard for the MCAT and I hadn't taken O-chem II or O-Chem Lab. which would have been another point or two.

I dunno where this puts me:

SAT 750V, 800M = 1550
MCAT 11V, 13P, 13B, Q = 37Q.
That first equation put me at about a 36.something, so that's good!
Now if i could only get an interview, I might stop hanging out on these message boards...

SAT: 1320
MCAT: 32 N (don't ask about the writing seciton. I was so tired!)

SAT 1600
ACT 36 (w/ a 35 on the science section :rolleyes: )
MCAT 41O

...BUT...

GPA 3.24
BCPM 3.39

I think these standardized exams are all about the test-taking skills. In my experience, the MCAT seemed to be 75% logical reasoning-based and only 25% knowledge-based. Although, I could see how memorizing every bio/chem/phys/orgo fact on earth might allow someone to circumvent the need for logical reasoning in some problems.

On the other hand, classwork requires focus, discipline, knowledge retention, etc. over a long period of time. Totally different skills from logical reasoning and the ever-useful POE (process of elimination).

Hopefully, my 3.99 post-bacc GPA demonstrates I've learned that lesson... I'll be crossing my fingers until spring! :oops:

amandil said:
SAT 1600
ACT 36 (w/ a 35 on the science section :rolleyes: )
MCAT 41O

...BUT...

GPA 3.24
BCPM 3.39

I think these standardized exams are all about the test-taking skills. In my experience, the MCAT seemed to be 75% logical reasoning-based and only 25% knowledge-based. Although, I could see how memorizing every bio/chem/phys/orgo fact on earth might allow someone to circumvent the need for logical reasoning in some problems.

On the other hand, classwork requires focus, discipline, knowledge retention, etc. over a long period of time. Totally different skills from logical reasoning and the ever-useful POE (process of elimination).

Hopefully, my 3.99 post-bacc GPA demonstrates I've learned that lesson... I'll be crossing my fingers until spring! :oops:

Damn!!!! You are smart!! :)

SAT 1570
MCAT 34Q

...but, I studied a lot for the SAT and almost not at all for the MCAT.

People talking here just makes me feel so stupid in the world.. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

SAT was 1370 (although my PSAT, which they used for National Merit stuff was 1420)
MCAT was 25 and then 30.

Either I'm not as smart as I used to be, or there's just not much of a corellation. :D