-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mcat And Sat
Started by visualwealth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
SAT: 1480
MCAT: 36
So your statistical thing fit me pretty close!
MCAT: 36
So your statistical thing fit me pretty close!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sat: 1270
Mcat: 40
Mcat: 40
ACT: 32
SAT: 1510
MCAT 🙁: 28
I WISH I'd had as good an MCAT as the others...
SAT: 1510
MCAT 🙁: 28
I WISH I'd had as good an MCAT as the others...
SAT designed to predict how a person will perform during the first year of undergraduate. MCAT designed to perform how well someone paid attention during the first year and a half of a life sciences major. Actually I kind of enjoyed the essay question on the MCAT.
The MCAT is the first and least of the hurdles involved with getting an MD / finishing residency and fellowship training. Take a practice test. If you need to then study for the MCAT. Lastly forget about your SAT /ACT, because nobody will ever ask you about them, ever. All the admissions people care about is that you went to college.
The MCAT is the first and least of the hurdles involved with getting an MD / finishing residency and fellowship training. Take a practice test. If you need to then study for the MCAT. Lastly forget about your SAT /ACT, because nobody will ever ask you about them, ever. All the admissions people care about is that you went to college.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Furrball said:Lastly forget about your SAT /ACT, because nobody will ever ask you about them, ever. All the admissions people care about is that you went to college.
Though this seems to be generally true, Wash U does in fact ask for SATs on their secondary app......kinda weird.
SAT: Verbal: 590 Math: 580 Composite 1170
MCAT: Verbal: 7 Bio: 10 Phys: 10 27R
I know this seems really inferior on this thread, but who's gonna care ten years down the line? I certainly won't...
MCAT: Verbal: 7 Bio: 10 Phys: 10 27R
I know this seems really inferior on this thread, but who's gonna care ten years down the line? I certainly won't...
lizbjrddnr said:ACT: 32
SAT: 1510
MCAT 🙁: 28
I WISH I'd had as good an MCAT as the others...
You have to realize that this survey has a sampling bias. Those with low scores are less likely to post them, while those with high scores have no problem bragging about what they got. You will never get a good survey of what SDN users actual scores are.
visualwealth said:List your MCAT and SAT...
I want to see the correlation...
SAT: 1270--640V,630M (1990, i.e. Pre-recenter)
ACT: 28
GRE: 630V (89th %tile), 690Q (78th %tile), 730A(91st %tile)
MCAT: 11V, 9P, 10B, P
Go nuts with the stats 👍
visualwealth said:List your MCAT and SAT...
I want to see the correlation...
Holy freakin...I just posted my scores before looking at the rest of the thread 😱 . We either have a bunch of brainiacs or a bunch of liars! Why don't all you smart people get together and cure cancer or something 😉
SAT 1460 pre-recentering, converts to 1520 post-recentering (I think)
MCAT 39
Predicted MCAT 36, which is what I got on my first practice test before studying. I didn't study for the SAT. So I guess that's a pretty good prediction. 👍
I'm a believer. I'll bet we could predict 90% of MCAT takers with this formula to +/- 2 points.
MCAT 39
Predicted MCAT 36, which is what I got on my first practice test before studying. I didn't study for the SAT. So I guess that's a pretty good prediction. 👍
I'm a believer. I'll bet we could predict 90% of MCAT takers with this formula to +/- 2 points.
Working...working...working...Done. Please enjoy your cure, and come back soon!BOHICA-FIGMO said:Holy freakin...I just posted my scores before looking at the rest of the thread 😱 . We either have a bunch of brainiacs or a bunch of liars! Why don't all you smart people get together and cure cancer or something 😉
Predicted: 32
Actual: 30
Actual: 30
BOHICA-FIGMO said:SAT: 1270--640V,630M (1990, i.e. Pre-recenter)
ACT: 28
GRE: 630V (89th %tile), 690Q (78th %tile), 730A(91st %tile)
MCAT: 11V, 9P, 10B, P
Go nuts with the stats 👍
liverotcod said:Working...working...working...Done. Please enjoy your cure, and come back soon!
Glad folks have a sense of humor!AStudent said:Predicted: 32
Actual: 30
Hmm...I guess I must be an underachiever 🙁 That's okay, I got accepted to a few places so I'm happy 🙂 This is a neat intellectual exercise though. In fact, someone out there could probably do a statistically analysis using SPSS or (God forbid!) SAS and get published somewhere. Any takers?

I already submitted these, but adding the GRE because other people have
ACT 31
GRE (pre-essay) 2110 (800,770,540)
MCAT-38 (13,13,12)
I think the GRE is easier overall, but the Verbal section includes analogies and antonyms of word I've never even heard of, so that section is way harder.
ACT 31
GRE (pre-essay) 2110 (800,770,540)
MCAT-38 (13,13,12)
I think the GRE is easier overall, but the Verbal section includes analogies and antonyms of word I've never even heard of, so that section is way harder.
SAT: 1410 (1995)
MCAt: 36 (2004)
MCAt: 36 (2004)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SAT: 1550 (1X)
MCAT: 32 (1X)
Predicted MCAT: 36.322
Hmm....maybe this will bolster my claim that I had a really bad day. The predicted is more in line with how I was doing on the practice tests (avged about 35.5)
Maybe you should take your formula to AMCAS. Or, better yet, start up a company "predicting" MCAT scores for neurotic premeds right out of HS.
MCAT: 32 (1X)
Predicted MCAT: 36.322
Hmm....maybe this will bolster my claim that I had a really bad day. The predicted is more in line with how I was doing on the practice tests (avged about 35.5)
Maybe you should take your formula to AMCAS. Or, better yet, start up a company "predicting" MCAT scores for neurotic premeds right out of HS.
I certainly hope there's a correlation. My predicted MCAT would be 34-35 (sat 1420). Here's to wishing I were as good at physics/chem as I used to be at algebra/geometry!
I'll get back to you in August 😉
I'll get back to you in August 😉
There have been (actual) studies done that demonstrate a strong correlation between SAT verbal and MCAT. I don't recall that anyone has looked too closely at SAT math.
liverotcod said:There have been (actual) studies done that demonstrate a strong correlation between SAT verbal and MCAT. I don't recall that anyone has looked too closely at SAT math.
sweet. that's even better news, in theory.
Furrball said:SAT designed to predict how a person will perform during the first year of undergraduate. MCAT designed to perform how well someone paid attention during the first year and a half of a life sciences major. Actually I kind of enjoyed the essay question on the MCAT.
The MCAT is the first and least of the hurdles involved with getting an MD / finishing residency and fellowship training. Take a practice test. If you need to then study for the MCAT. Lastly forget about your SAT /ACT, because nobody will ever ask you about them, ever. All the admissions people care about is that you went to college.
USUHS asks for your SAT score in their secondary application.
SAT 1st try: 640V + 710M = 1350
SAT 2nd try: 670V + 790M = 1460
MCAT 1st try: 8V + 11P + 8B = 27
MCAT 2nd try: 10V + 13P + 10B = 33
SAT 2nd try: 670V + 790M = 1460
MCAT 1st try: 8V + 11P + 8B = 27
MCAT 2nd try: 10V + 13P + 10B = 33
Sit 1460
Mdog 36
Mdog 36
Bad SAT, Bad GRE, Bad MCAT... still got into good college and great grad school, made all A's, got into medical school
They are definitely correlated, but fortunately for me have little prediction for how I perform in school.
They are definitely correlated, but fortunately for me have little prediction for how I perform in school.
I am not reading this whole thread so I apologize if this has already been stated.
You can't really use percentiles to make a correlation b/c don't forget that SATs are for all college bound students and for the most part those taking the MCAT are students who are of the upper end of that group and are also highly motivated and well disciplined in hard work and perserverance.
As for myself I did better on my SATs than I did on my MCAT.
You can't really use percentiles to make a correlation b/c don't forget that SATs are for all college bound students and for the most part those taking the MCAT are students who are of the upper end of that group and are also highly motivated and well disciplined in hard work and perserverance.
As for myself I did better on my SATs than I did on my MCAT.
is there a formula for predictiong your MCAT score based on your SAT score?jdovez said:SAT: 1550 (1X)
MCAT: 32 (1X)
Predicted MCAT: 36.322
Hmm....maybe this will bolster my claim that I had a really bad day. The predicted is more in line with how I was doing on the practice tests (avged about 35.5)
Maybe you should take your formula to AMCAS. Or, better yet, start up a company "predicting" MCAT scores for neurotic premeds right out of HS.
Check out the top of page 3.Psycho Doctor said:is there a formula for predictiong your MCAT score based on your SAT score?
AStudent said:I did a quick excel. This is what I got: http://www.msu.edu/~boneadam/sdnmcatvssat.xls
y =.0139x + 14.688
y = mcat score
x = sat score ( or act score x 44.4)
Try it and see if you get about your MCAT score.
according to this a perfect SAT score will still only yield a 37 MCAT score
so how can one predict a score of 28-45 which many people do attain?
You didn't see the extra credit questions on the SAT?Psycho Doctor said:according to this a perfect SAT score will still only yield a 37 MCAT score
(I don't think anyone's claiming this is anything like good science)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Psycho Doctor said:according to this a perfect SAT score will still only yield a 37 MCAT score
I think the person that came up with the formula addressed this by stating that at low and high extremes, the formula breaks down and it is not linear (as the equation implies). However, there appears to be decent linearity at least in the small sample set between say 20-35 or 36 MCAT score. At least thats as it appears to me.
liverotcod said:You didn't see the extra credit questions on the SAT?
(I don't think anyone's claiming this is anything like good science)
oh ****, you mean I could have gotten an 1800? I want to retake it now
Update: Excel gives me:
MCAT = 0.0154 * SAT + 11.76
with the additional data. I threw out a single outlier (40 MCAT, 1270 SAT) for the sake of finding a trend. R-square 0.31, which is pretty high (right, stats folks?).
The MCAT folks admit that 15 point scale is compressed at the high and low end, which makes it unsurprising that we can't predict past 36 or so.
MCAT = 0.0154 * SAT + 11.76
with the additional data. I threw out a single outlier (40 MCAT, 1270 SAT) for the sake of finding a trend. R-square 0.31, which is pretty high (right, stats folks?).
The MCAT folks admit that 15 point scale is compressed at the high and low end, which makes it unsurprising that we can't predict past 36 or so.
you could fix the intersects at both ends and make the curve non-linear. My feeling is that would be a better model.
At one end, I fix 1600=45, right? But what about the other?dopaminophile said:you could fix the intersects at both ends and make the curve non-linear. My feeling is that would be a better model.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 444
D
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 623
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 648