MCAT balancing CC classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've read this thread on if a high MCAT "counteracts" a CC class, but I'd like some input on my specific situation.

So I'm a sophomore planning on applying this June. I'm able to graduate a year early due to my CC classes (mostly dual enrollment)+AP classes.
I've taken 43 total CC credits, 20 of which are prereqs (physics 1, physics 2, stats, english) and 35 of which contribute to my sGPA. I took physics 1 at cc the summer before freshman year and physics 2 at cc the summer after freshman year.

I'm worried about how bad that will look, considering I got a 132 on MCAT C/P (and a 522 overall [132/127/132/131]). My major thing is, I already have sort of a red flag as I'll be fairly young (21) when going on interviews (if I get any lol), and so I was wondering how much these cc classes would hurt my app. If the cc classes would hurt my app a lot, I plan on applying after junior year to minimize red flags/get more ECs).

Thanks so much!

Edit: if some more background would help determine if I'm ready to apply because of this, here is my wamc post

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no worries here. Most schools frown upon students at large universities using CC's to hide from prereqs. You started doing your prereqs before you started as a college freshman, a completely different story.

That 522 will leave no doubt in the mind of those reading your app that your educational foundation is adequate. Fill in the rest of your app (make sure your clinical experience says "I am a mature healthcare provider") and you should be very competitive even at your age.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I've read this thread on if a high MCAT "counteracts" a CC class, but I'd like some input on my specific situation.

So I'm a sophomore planning on applying this June. I'm able to graduate a year early due to my CC classes (mostly dual enrollment)+AP classes.
I've taken 43 total CC credits, 20 of which are prereqs (physics 1, physics 2, stats, english) and 35 of which contribute to my sGPA. I took physics 1 at cc the summer before freshman year and physics 2 at cc the summer after freshman year.

I'm worried about how bad that will look, considering I got a 132 on MCAT C/P (and a 522 overall [132/127/132/131]). My major thing is, I already have sort of a red flag as I'll be fairly young (21) when going on interviews (if I get any lol), and so I was wondering how much these cc classes would hurt my app. If the cc classes would hurt my app a lot, I plan on applying after junior year to minimize red flags/get more ECs).

Thanks so much!

Edit: if some more background would help determine if I'm ready to apply because of this, here is my wamc post

Are you applying June 2021 or June 2022? You say both in your post. Be aware and check on the acceptance of AP classes by med schools for preqs (if that even applies to you. )

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying June 2021 or June 2022? You say both in your post. Be aware and check on the acceptance of AP classes by med schools for preqs (if that even applies to you. )
Sorry for the confusion - I'd ideally apply june '21, but if the cc classes are a big red flag, then I'll apply june '22 so I have more time to add stuff

and yeah-I have checked out which med schools accept APs-I'm actually about to ask a question on SDN about it rn lol

Reactions: 1 user
There is no worries here. Most schools frown upon students at large universities using CC's to hide from prereqs. You started doing your prereqs before you started as a college freshman, a completely different story.

That 522 will leave no doubt in the mind of those reading your app that your educational foundation is adequate. Fill in the rest of your app (make sure your clinical experience says "I am a mature healthcare provider") and you should be very competitive even at your age.

Med School Tutors
Got it thanks! So having taken physics 2 after freshman year won't be an issue?

Got it thanks! So having taken physics 2 after freshman year won't be an issue?
I think not. You already took physics 1, it is reasonable to finish out a two-part class (even one like physics which isn't necessarily linear) at the same institution.

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users