MCAT BEFORE your junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone just take the MCAT in August right after their sophomore year? I'm now in my junior year and I went ahead and took it. All the subjects were fresh in my mind, and my advisor suggested that I should go ahead and get it over with. Did anyone else do that, or are all you August takers applying to medical school right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, I took it between my soph and junior year too. It makes sense to me to take it then if you have the necessary classes. I did decent on the practice exams, so we'll see in about a week or so and I'll let you know about my decision then.

I'm with you kids. I'm already somewhat sadistically enjoying hearing other people complain about taking it in april. :) i think it was a great idea, although I'm going abroad for a year so I kind of had to get it over with. It feels good, but it's kind of hit or miss.

Yeah -- I took it this August and I'm a junior now too. I thought it was a good idea since we wouldn't have to worry about classes at the same time. I think it paid off--I focused a lot on the test and we'll see if it worked or not in a few days!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know that I'm not alone! I'm so relieved to have it over with so early, and I think I did pretty well. But the best part about it is that (hopefully) we'll get to relax as all our friends bust their butts next semester and even next summer taking the MCAT. Good luck to all!

yeup, took it after my sophmore year, however, with summer classes, i am now a senior, so i'm applying too.......

nero

yeah- i just took it and i am a junior- i think it was a good move. hopefully it will be the last time i take it! i think it would have been really hard to get all the prep in while taking a full load of spring classes. we'll see on oct 3 !!!!!
kristin

i agree with all of u that taking it after sophomore year makes sense, since the major subjects are sitll fresh; but its surprising that some of ur pre-med advisors encouraged you to take them summer before junior year, mine was against it....not that i listened to him

Actually, my advisor's the one that's encouraged us to take it summer before junior year. She thinks it's best. I'm surprised your advisor discouraged you from doing so.