MCAT Biology

Started by dartmed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dartmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, so I took my MCAT on 6/21 and needless to say, it wasn't what I wanted. My PS and VR were what my averages were, but I got an 8 in BS when my average was a 12. I don't know where I went wrong.

What's done is done- so how did the rest of you prepare for the BS section? I felt like I was breezing through the section and that's probably not a good sign. I am currently going through TPR Science WB.

How did you guys prepare for the monstrous passage that seems show-up on every MCAT? On mine, I had no idea whatsoever what the passage was talking about. None.
 
How did you guys prepare for the monstrous passage that seems show-up on every MCAT? On mine, I had no idea whatsoever what the passage was talking about. None.

Read dense, difficult research articles from online journals. Pick a topic you know you'll enjoy reading about, and really try to understand what's being done and what insights are offered. Look up all the acronyms and unfamiliar terms (the tough articles have plenty), pay attention to the lab techniques used, and attempt to interpret the graphs on your own.

Try to comprehend the article so well you could explain the gist of the research to somebody else. In fact, it'd be a good idea to do just that -- tell a friend or family member what the article was about, how the author(s) arrived at their conclusions, as well as what the conclusions themselves are.

It's tough and time-consuming (hours), but hard work like this should make that inevitable monstrous passage much more bearable.