MCAT : Comprehensive or weighted toward advanced studies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florida_style

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some questions about the MCAT test itself. Does the test keep away from elementary pre-med matter, concentrating instead on advanced pre-med subject matter, assuming a mastery of the former if the student can answer questions about the latter? I ask this because I did well in bio and chem several years ago, and if the MCAT material is weighted toward the more advanced subject matter, then I don't see any need to take these classes again. Instead I can round out my pre-med studies with classes in immunology, genetics, embryology, etcetera. But I have no doubt that if the MCAT is going to test me on the finer points of the elementary pre-med stuff, I'd better take these classes again.

John

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
The MCAT is basically uses relatively simple concepts from chem, o-chem, bio, and physics, but challenges you by applying them to unfamiliar situations (i.e. a compound that you've probably never heard of but one that is similar to one that you know). Advanced courses are good, but not necessary. I would recommend a comprehensive review course, especially if you need (or would like) the basic science review. I took a Kaplan course this past winter and improved my score 8 points from two years ago (when I was studying science subjects which I wasn't this past year). I guess to answer your question, you really only "need" the basics, but you have to know the concepts and be able to apply them. The only advanced courses that really helped me with the MCAT material were genetics and anatomy/physiology.

Hope this helps. Other suggestions? Good luck to you! :)

Oh, one more thing - I wouldn't necessarily take the basic classes over again, especially if you did well the first time, but a review course might be great for your situation. If you don't want to take it or cannot afford it, see if you can get your hands on the Kaplan review books - all of the science that you need is in those books so you wouldn't have to go over old notes, text, etc... I found this very helpful while reviewing. :) Hope this helps.

:) Liz

Thanks Liz, your comments are very helpful. I am in the very beginning stages and I need all the input I can get! I am planning an MCAT review while I do my premed studies, and at this point I am inclined to agree that I don't have to take bio 1 and chem 1 again. I'm going to see a pre-med academic advisor tomorrow at University of South Florida, and after her input on the matter, I'll be registering for classes...thanks again!
John