mcat computer freezing

Started by globy321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

globy321

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I experienced a computer freezing problem when I was doing my real mcat. can I write to aamc and ask them for a refund and to void the test?
 
I experienced a computer freezing problem when I was doing my real mcat. can I write to aamc and ask them for a refund and to void the test?

Were you able to continue your exam? I'm assuming not because you probably would have voided it.

I would certainly call aamc and get some money back in my pocket, or at least register for a new date on their dime. Everyone deserves a fair shot at this exam.
 
I had a friend who's computer was freezing, and the people running the testing center were extremely rude to him. He definitely filed a complaint, he ended up with a 31 though. So I'm not sure what came of it, but definitely tell AAMC.
 
I managed to continue the exam but I lost so much time. Also the timer did not work so there was no way for me to see how much time I had left. This freaked me out and it has effected my performance on the test. Should I ask AAMC for a refund?

Were you able to continue your exam? I'm assuming not because you probably would have voided it.

I would certainly call aamc and get some money back in my pocket, or at least register for a new date on their dime. Everyone deserves a fair shot at this exam.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You definitely should!!! If it were me I would've stopped right there and badgered the test center people into reporting it to AAMC directly for me, or at least let me take a picture. You should have been more assertive in this case especially since this was probably the biggest exam of your life.

Definitely let AAMC know (call them if you have to). Hopefully they don't dismiss it because of an inability to go back and check if it did happen, but I hope it all turns out in your favor. Good luck.
 
I showed the problem to the test administrator who witnessed the problem and he said he will make a report of the problem. He is also gave me his full name and phone number. Should I include the contact information of the test administrator in the letter to aamc?

You definitely should!!! If it were me I would've stopped right there and badgered the test center people into reporting it to AAMC directly for me, or at least let me take a picture. You should have been more assertive in this case especially since this was probably the biggest exam of your life.

Definitely let AAMC know (call them if you have to). Hopefully they don't dismiss it because of an inability to go back and check if it did happen, but I hope it all turns out in your favor. Good luck.
 
I showed the problem to the test administrator who witnessed the problem and he said he will make a report of the problem. He is also gave me his full name and phone number. Should I include the contact information of the test administrator in the letter to aamc?

U still haven't answered why u didn't void if you felt like u were cheated on time...
seems awfully suspicious... seems like u just checked some guesses and got them wrong, and now feel like voiding...
 
I am applying this cycle so I didn't void the test. I encountered computer problems which were beyond my control and I want to report them to aamc.

U still haven't answered why u didn't void if you felt like u were cheated on time...
seems awfully suspicious... seems like u just checked some guesses and got them wrong, and now feel like voiding...
 
You should have been more assertive in this case especially since this was probably the biggest exam of your life.

Whoa there buddy. Our dance has just begun. :laugh:

OP, if I were in your shoes I would have promptly voided and sat at the desk of the test crew to file paperwork to get my money refunded or get a new test date paid for by aamc.

I'm fairly certain that it's in writing that if you have the chance to void and not do so, AAMC will not void the test under any circumstance.

Either way, you should be able to get your money back. Your test will probably be scored, though.
 
He was deprived of time involuntarily and out of his control. Even if he wanted to continue with his exam (which is understandable so he doesn't add the extra cost of delaying his application a year), the exam was not fair to begin with, so he should automatically get to write a new exam. He has to maximize his benefits after being hit like that so continuing writing and seeing if it turns out good seems to me as the right thing to do (if you're not waaay out of time), since it doesn't matter what he does, time was taken away without his control.
 
Last edited:
Whoa there buddy. Our dance has just begun. :laugh:

OP, if I were in your shoes I would have promptly voided and sat at the desk of the test crew to file paperwork to get my money refunded or get a new test date paid for by aamc.

I'm fairly certain that it's in writing that if you have the chance to void and not do so, AAMC will not void the test under any circumstance.

Either way, you should be able to get your money back. Your test will probably be scored, though.
If AAMC decides to score my test and not void, would they be able to make an adjustment to my score or indicate that it was taken under non-standard conditions?
 
If AAMC decides to score my test and not void, would they be able to make an adjustment to my score or indicate that it was taken under non-standard conditions?

My understanding is that AAMC doesn't choose whether to score or void, the test taker does. You chose to score.

No, there will be no adjustments made that I can see.

I'd get on the phone with them. The longer you wait the more leverage they have.