MCAT: Earliest you would start studying (if you could do it again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you could go back and start studying again, how early would you begin and why. Anybody think there's an advantage to studying physics and g chem before you even take bio and orgo?

Members don't see this ad.

Crake said:
So if you could go back and start studying again, how early would you begin and why. Anybody think there's an advantage to studying physics and g chem before you even take bio and orgo?

Doing it a second time, I would spend way less hours studying. Maybe only 10 weeks. It's an exam that it doesn't matter how much you study or how many facts you know, it's about knowing how to think and to integrate information. I would focus more on practice exams. It would be a waste of time to study any more or for long hours in a day, especially if you already prepared for it the first time around.

Crake said:
I would want 3 months. 1 for review and 2 for practice practice practice.

i think about 2 months is good. i couldn't change my verbal score for the life of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i wouldn't start way way early because then you'll peak too soon and start going downhill when you're supposed to be taking the exam. it's just not possible to keep up that kind of intensity for too long.

i studied 4 months and used every bit of it. i felt that at the end of 4 months i was at the top of my game. any more and i would have started to panic. if i did it again, i might do less, because i've already done it once, but for a first-timer, 4 months is perfect.

I think I did a solid three months in the kaplan program. And I don't think it was enough for me, or maybe it was just too crammed. I was too bogged down that spring semester and the last thing I wanted to do was four hours of MCAT a night and practice tests all weekend. If I could start over I would study the summer beofre and if I felt ready take the August MCAT (a year early). I had a lot more time during the summer and I wouldn't have been so burnt out :sleep: . If I didn't like my score I would study up on the sections that needed improving and take it in April (calmly).

Anyways, I would definently had spent more time with practice tests and less with review.