mcat end of july early august, applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthworkhard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my mcat August 2016 and got a 491. It was pretty discouraging for me. My cgpa is 3.57 and sgpa is 3.44. I graduated in april 2017. My activities on my app are good. I was so discouraged by my score I decided to look into dental. I worked in a dental office the past year I did not like it, it only made me want to be a doctor so much more. I decided I want to try to take the mcat this year end of july/early to mid august depending on how ready I feel. I was wondering if I submit my primary end of june is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. This is all very hap-hazard and rushed it sounds like. Hard to go from pre-dental to pre-med within a year. Take a year, do it right. That's coming from the guy who is all out against unnecessary 'gap' years, victory laps, or an extra year to 'boost' an otherwise solid application.

BTW, you give no other information. How on earth do you expect any advice which will help?

Agreed. This is all very hap-hazard and rushed it sounds like. Hard to go from pre-dental to pre-med within a year. Take a year, do it right. That's coming from the guy who is all out against unnecessary 'gap' years, victory laps, or an extra year to 'boost' an otherwise solid application.

BTW, you give no other information. How on earth do you expect any advice which will help?
what kind of information?
To clarify I was pre med from freshmen year to senior year did all the pre med stuff in college, volunteer research etc. I was pre med then pre dental to possibly going back to pre med? Took mcat August 2016 which was the starting of my 5th year of college and graduated in april 2017. Around October 2017, I had a serious sit down talk with my family and they pushed me into pre dental directon, my mom is a physician and didn't think I could handle med school/residency life. Also that year from june 2016 to may 2017 I did research in the ER and all the physicians I talked too discouraged me from pursing med. They all said if they could go back they would pick a different career. With a bad mcat score and negative feedback from physicians I started doubting my decision to go for med. I should have taken into account ER physicians are burnt out. So I started looking into dental last year and kinda forced myself to be ok with the idea of being a dentist. I figured the DAT would be easier then the MCAT. I have been studying for the DAT it has same subjects such as gen chem, bio, orgo, reading comp it terms of content I am ok with that. But I am becoming miserable because my heart is not in it. And would rather switch my focus to mcat. My first mcat was horrible, to be honest I was dealing with some personal stuff in my life and half assed the studying I should have voided it. My biggest regret is not taking it seriously the first time. I am aware I have wasted 2 years of my life. I just want to know what my chances are.