MCAT Estimator Spreadsheet (w/ Poll: How accurate was it for you?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: New version uploaded with fixes to some issues below. This one should also give more accurate score reporting as I have recalibrated the algorithm slightly as it appears MCAT scores were being estimated too high (2 "4+ too high" scorers' scores were taken into account to make the changes -- the changes will fix those 4+s to about a 1-2 points higher than expected, which is about the target range -- within 1-2 points of correct).

This was previously a part of the now defunct Med School Spreadsheet. Since everything in this spreadsheet is (c) 2010 Yours Truly (apumic), I have decided to re-release the MCAT Estimator as its own, "stand-alone application." It is meant simply as a tool to help you estimate where your MCAT score might fall based upon prior academic and test taking performance. The data used include several studies correlating GPA and performance on various exams to performance on the MCAT. In addition, studies examining MCAT examinees as a population with other relevant populations were used.

This is meant as a general estimate and should not be taken too seriously. It may be useful in helping to determine whether or not retaking is likely to increase your score as well as when you are ready to take based upon how your scores on recent practice tests line up with what one would expect you could attain based upon previous performance.

Also, I would like to poll people to see how close their MCAT scores were to those predicted by this tool, so please vote. It should be interesting to see!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MCAT Estimator.xlsx
    94 KB · Views: 10,241
Last edited:
Pretty close for me...

GPA: 26
SAT: 31
GRE: 38 :confused:

Overall prediction: 35 (VR: 13, PS: 11, BS: 11)

Actual score: 34 (VR: 12, PS: 10, BS: 12)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got it to open. Interesting, but I feel the GPA throws everything off somewhat (it lowers). I haven't taken the actual MCAT yet, but it's off for my practice exams. The chart is only predicting the science scores and not verbal?

ACT 35
GRE 34
GPA 30

I then entered my last 3 pr exams and the chart showed 70 percent chance scoring 12 on Physics and 50 percent chance 13 on biology. It puts my step 1 estimate at 240, wonder how accurate is that..?

I got it to open. Interesting, but I feel the GPA throws everything off somewhat (it lowers). I haven't taken the actual MCAT yet, but it's off for my practice exams. The chart is only predicting the science scores and not verbal?

It does predict VR it just does not work as well, for some reason the VR trendline is not there at times.

okay I got it now it says 12 verbal,12 physics and 13 biology. I will add to the poll when I take the real MCAT.

Well, I'm only a freshman, but when I put my ACT in it predicts a 15/15/15 45. :laugh:
With my (one semester) GPA of 4.0 is goes down to 14/13/13 40.
Haha, while this was fun, I guess I'll just have to find out what I'm going to make on the MCAT the old fashioned way: by actually taking the MCAT (in 1.5-2 years).

Bump!
This MCAT Estimator.xlsx sp would be nice to have... however, it appears to have become corrupted on SDN's server! Does anyone have another copy of this they could respond with?

I've tried three computers w/different OS's and half a dozen different Office Suites. This file appears corrupted.

ACT - 37
GPA - 30
SAT - 35

Overall Prediction:
34 if I don't factor previous MCAT
31 if I do.

In reality, I got a 35 on my second take.

ACT - 37
GPA - 30
SAT - 35

Overall Prediction:
34 if I don't factor previous MCAT
31 if I do.

In reality, I got a 35 on my second take.

Okay, you didn't address my post! Are you suggesting the spreadsheet that's posted here worked for you... and that the problem I'm having with it is just me?

Damn, I hope it's not that accurate.
My ACT score was embarrassing. I took that with zero prep, just walked in and did it. Oops. (I also don't remember my subscores)

But based on what i entered (no AAMC FLs, yet) it gives me a range of 24-32. Which worries me, a lot.
It seems to think I'm doomed in verbal :(

Haha, my GPA is crap but my prior standardized test scores were 99th percentile...it's fun to watch it spaz between those. With just my test scores it tells me I will get a 45, no joke. With just my GPA it tells me a 24. With both I'm in the '28-43' range which is...probably true, but nonetheless unhelpful!