MCAT expiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012er

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took my MCAT on Sept 1st 2011. I did no apply these past two cycles but wanted to in 2013. Some programs state that they consider scores no more than three years prior to application while others say matriculation.
Do any of you know exactly how strict they are with this?
I did okay, 10/10/10 L, and wouldnt mind re taking it but I'd rather not. But I also figured that since by the time i apply I'll be 2 years removed from school, showing that I can still perform well academically would be a good idea.
I can definitely either repeat my score or perform better, especially considering my study habits last time.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My 2 cents (may not apply in your case),

I took my first and only MCAT in Sept. 2010. I'd like to apply in 2013 to matriculate in 2014. My first score was very acceptable, but my reasons for retaking are as follows:

1) score will be ~3 years old while applying, ~4 years old when I matriculate. So part of it is I'm simply worried about score expiration. Also, regardless of expiration, I do not feel my score accurately represents my current test taking abilitiy anymore. I am a more mature person than I was when I applied initially.

2) I am confident I can increase my score (mainly through improving BS section through review and practice). I know my first score was not a fluke, and in fact was on the low end of my practice tests. Recent GRE tests in chemistry and verbal have gone favorably, leading me to believe I can score higher.

3) My first MCAT score, while extremely acceptable, is not exceptional or even competitive at top schools. I would like to apply to selective MD schools without my MCAT (especially BIO) holding me back.

Again, this is my own personal case and may not apply. Everyone should weigh the pros and cons for themselves and make their own decision.