MCAT for Veterinary School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently took the MCAT but decided to switch my path to veterinary school. What schools accept the MCAT and what are their averages or ranges?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I recently took the MCAT but decided to switch my path to veterinary school. What schools accept the MCAT and what are their averages or ranges?
Cornell does. I don't know their averages, I'm not sure if they publish stats or not.

Very few schools accept the MCAT, so it will really limit your options if you choose not to take the GRE. I'm not sure if/what other schools accept the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bite the bullet and take the GRE. It isn't that bad of an exam and it opens you to be able to apply to basically all of the schools. The vast majority of veterinary schools do not accept nor care about the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to stay in America, take the GRE. Someone is welcome to correct me as I haven't researched it but I believe some Canadian schools take the MCAT and possibly the carribean does? But still that's really a far cry from "some". Take the GRE, it's certainly not science intense as the MCAT is.

If you want to stay in America, take the GRE. Someone is welcome to correct me as I haven't researched it but I believe some Canadian schools take the MCAT and possibly the carribean does? But still that's really a far cry from "some". Take the GRE, it's certainly not science intense as the MCAT is.
OVC used to require the MCAT, but I think they stopped looking at it as of this year. It was optional for Ross, not sure about the other Caribbean schools.

OVC used to require the MCAT, but I think they stopped looking at it as of this year. It was optional for Ross, not sure about the other Caribbean schools.

Ahh okay! OVC was the one I was thinking of. And I knew Ross would accept both, but wasn't sure about the others :)

Mizzou accepts either the MCAT or the GRE, but it looks like they're moving towards just requiring the GRE. From their website: "For the 2015-2016 application, results from only the old MCAT (one taken prior to spring 2015) will be accepted." Seriously, just take the GRE, you're really limiting yourself otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Seconded.
I did the same thing, took the MCAT then the GRE to keep my options open. The plus side is that the GRE will be a breeze compared to the MCAT, haha.

For real, I'm just echoing what's been said in this thread. Take the GRE. It's not that bad at all.

Well I sure hated the GRE. If Tim was x-7 years old when Bob was 5x. Oh, **** you Tim.

Reactions: 6 users
I did the same thing, took the MCAT then the GRE to keep my options open. The plus side is that the GRE will be a breeze compared to the MCAT, haha.

I always laugh a little when I hear this. I took both and ended up scoring significantly higher on the MCAT (~97th composite percentile {36} vs. 86th {324}). I will admit that the amount of studying required for the MCAT far exceeded what I did for the GRE, but at the end of the day I found the MCAT to be the much more predictable test. The GRE kinda felt like an IQ test, to be honest.

Anywho, only a couple of vet schools are willing to look at the MCAT (makes no sense to me, but such is life), while all schools accept the GRE. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by refusing to take the GRE.

Ohio state accepts both the MCAT and GRE! Is also much more expensive OOS compared to most other schools, though. I think Mizzou accepted MCAT for this past year if you had taken it before spring 2015 (so I'm assuming they're phasing it out). Western University also accepts the MCAT, I believe. It may be better in the long run for you to take the GRE so you have more options, but if you are really against taking it, there are a couple places where you'd still be able to apply :)

Ohio state accepts both the MCAT and GRE! Is also much more expensive OOS compared to most other schools, though. I think Mizzou accepted MCAT for this past year if you had taken it before spring 2015 (so I'm assuming they're phasing it out). Western University also accepts the MCAT, I believe. It may be better in the long run for you to take the GRE so you have more options, but if you are really against taking it, there are a couple places where you'd still be able to apply :)
Ohio State allows you to switch to IS tuition after first year. As I recall their first-year OOS tuition is pretty outrageous, but from what I've heard pretty much everyone is able to gain residency, so then it's not so bad.

Ohio State allows you to switch to IS tuition after first year. As I recall their first-year OOS tuition is pretty outrageous, but from what I've heard pretty much everyone is able to gain residency, so then it's not so bad.
I didn't know that! That's actually really good to know, so thank you! I was considering applying there because it's relatively close to where I'm from (Michigan) so I could potentially stay closer to home, but I was not really wanting to go there mostly because of the 68k a year part....

Sorry that you need to take a different test, OP - but you need to take a different test. Not taking the GRE will make things a huge pain in the rear. :shrug:

Buy a Kaplan book somewhere and spend a month or so going through it, then sign up for a test date.

I didn't know that! That's actually really good to know, so thank you! I was considering applying there because it's relatively close to where I'm from (Michigan) so I could potentially stay closer to home, but I was not really wanting to go there mostly because of the 68k a year part....

Ski, can confirm what Lyra said. You pay OOS the first year and then jump through hoops (become OH resident, can't be out of the state for more than 30 days and no more than 2 weeks at a time, financially independent, etc) to pay IS the remaining time. I don't know of anyone denied but there were some that almost were denied.