MCAT Goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSF16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to All,
I am currently a 4th year student in Chemical Engineering (with a Bio and Chem minor) in a strong engineering program. I plan on applying to Medical school for the 2013 school year (my first choice would be the Med School within my current university's system). I have a 3.7 GPA with a 3.9+ SGPA, and I am a varsity athlete in a major sport. That would be my primary EC, and I have alot of "small" volunteering in the form of hours of community service projects with the team. I plan on shadowing both team and local doctors within the next year and would like to get into a hospital for additional experience (however, my time is surely limited). Letters of Rec should be very solid with respectable figures in and around the university.

This brings me to my question. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I plan on taking one soon (have to really get the ball rolling for school and committee deadlines). What would be an acceptable goal for my score? I obviously would like to do the best that I can, as it's only my nature. However, it's a balance between obtaining my "good" score and then working to complete my curriculum and bolster EC and clinical experience.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why limit yourself?

That's been my attitude all my life, pretty much. I guess what I was trying to ask is: I have two major things to address on my application--my MCAT and my ECs/clinical experience. How should I go about establishing/improving them? Is it more important to spend the next year trying to get the highest MCAT possible or to get a "certain" score and use the rest of my limited time for shadowing/volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's been my attitude all my life, pretty much. I guess what I was trying to ask is: I have two major things to address on my application--my MCAT and my ECs/clinical experience. How should I go about establishing/improving them? Is it more important to spend the next year trying to get the highest MCAT possible or to get a "certain" score and use the rest of my limited time for shadowing/volunteering?

Well, both are things you need. Volunteering isn't like studying for the MCAT though, you only need to do it 1-2 times a week for a certain amount of hours. That said, try to balance both things out (studying for the MCAT and volunteering).
As a matter of importance, both the MCAT and ECs show Adcoms different things. Yes, the MCAT will play a larger role in your admissions decision, but that doesn't mean you should abandon all ECs to study for the MCAT.

Hello to All,
I am currently a 4th year student in Chemical Engineering (with a Bio and Chem minor) in a strong engineering program. I plan on applying to Medical school for the 2013 school year (my first choice would be the Med School within my current university's system). I have a 3.7 GPA with a 3.9+ SGPA, and I am a varsity athlete in a major sport. That would be my primary EC, and I have alot of "small" volunteering in the form of hours of community service projects with the team. I plan on shadowing both team and local doctors within the next year and would like to get into a hospital for additional experience (however, my time is surely limited). Letters of Rec should be very solid with respectable figures in and around the university.

This brings me to my question. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I plan on taking one soon (have to really get the ball rolling for school and committee deadlines). What would be an acceptable goal for my score? I obviously would like to do the best that I can, as it's only my nature. However, it's a balance between obtaining my "good" score and then working to complete my curriculum and bolster EC and clinical experience.

Thanks
You can look at the historical percentage of applicants accepted with various MCAT scores in this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625
Find the graph for your race or use the graph for all applicants, then use your GPA to look at the corresponding percentages for various MCAT scores

Your MCAT is important (a poster by the name of Knocked Up will stop by soon to tell you that the MCAT IS EVERYTHING but don't listen to him) but your EC's sound pretty weak when it comes to clinical exposure (essential for med school admissions) and other areas like research and even dedicated, long-term nonclinical volunteering. I would think that you could do weekly volunteering in a hospital along with MCAT studying but I don't know how busy your schedule is

Its nice to set a goal, but anything over a 28 and you'll get into an MD school. As long as you have more then 2 state schools and don't live in cali. Assuming you have good EC's, lors, research etc and can hold conversation. What state are you in? State is a HUGE factor.

Its nice to set a goal, but anything over a 28 and you'll get into an MD school. As long as you have more then 2 state schools and don't live in cali. Assuming you have good EC's, lors, research etc and can hold conversation. What state are you in? State is a HUGE factor.

That's quite an assumption considering the median for accepted applicants is a 32.

^No. 28 will NOT get you into an MD school. 28 is borderline WHICHEVER state you're in. With a 3.7 GPA a 33+ will get you into an MD school.

A 28 will get you into a DO school assuming everything else is in place.

ohio, texas, ny. There are plenty of 28s in MD schools. Check out mdapp if you don't believe me : )

OP I only have a 29 and I have 4 MD interviews invites. White male, no crazy ECs, 3.7 gpa. I only sent me app to 11 schools. But hey, maybe I'm an exception. AND I didn't even apply DO

Last edited:
lol clueless.

And how is that?

Keep in mind, I didn't say you MUST have a 33+ to get into med school, but a 3.7 paired with a 33 will give you a very high chance of acceptance. Now of course, I can't take ECs, LORs, Primary, etc. into account.

ohio, texas, ny. There are plenty of 28s in MD schools. Check out mdapp if you don't believe me : )

OP I only have a 29 and I have 4 MD interviews invites. White male, no crazy ECs, 3.7 gpa. I only sent me app to 11 schools. But hey, maybe I'm an exception. AND I didn't even apply DO

I wouldn't base admission chances on single isolated events such as those listed on MDapps.

And you also mentioned your 4 interviews with a 29 MCAT. You want another anecdote? I know a Ohio resident reapplying this year with a 30 mcat and a 3.6 gpa, no acceptance last year, 1 interview this year.

Really useless right? You don't and I don't know much more about him.

And as for tx, the school with the lowest acceptance stats in TX is TT, which has average stats of 31 MCAT and 3.7 GPA.

I wouldn't base admission chances on single isolated events such as those listed on MDapps.

And you also mentioned your 4 interviews with a 29 MCAT. You want another anecdote? I know a Ohio resident reapplying this year with a 30 mcat and a 3.6 gpa, no acceptance last year, 1 interview this year.

Really useless right? You don't and I don't know much more about him.

And as for tx, the school with the lowest acceptance stats in TX is TT, which has average stats of 31 MCAT and 3.7 GPA.

I'm shocked too. None of them are top 50 schools, but there still us md schools. I think its largely due to my LORs, gpa trend, submitted june 8th, and PS. Just realize its far less then a numbers game then this site suggests... You see a whole lot of bad from the average people and a whole lot of good from the people who fit the mold of a top 10% of applicants making it hard to see how it really is.

And I didn't mean to call you clueless, but I just get pissed when people basically say/hint that your screwed if your not 32+. I'm here to inspire the average white males with subpar MCATs : )

Last edited:
Hello to All,

Thanks

30 MCAT with 3.8-3.9 GPA, Biology major is a good medical school applicant

I don't think there are any "safe scores" under 32ish. I was told a 30 and I'd be safe as an IS Florida Student, however always better safe than sorry...

It's all about the MCAT in the long run... I may get ripped apart for saying that however. EC's and Volunteering are important, But MCAT is huge... but if you want to kill the MCAT (and you're a normal person like most of us) devote 2-4 months of 2-4 hours a day studying for the MCAT. Take a prep course, or do the plan that has been floating around on SDN (that's what I did with a variation). Spent every morning of last spring semester following the plan strictly, in hopes of getting a 30 and wound up with a 34. Not that I'm amazing by any means, but if you put the time in (and it needs a lot of time including practice tests and such) then you should get a great pay off...

Just my 2 cents...

If you're looking for a specific number, your goal should probably be somewhere near the 90th percentile MCAT score for your top choice school. You can find that info in the MSAR or maybe on the school's website. Not saying you wouldn't be able to get in with less than 90th percentile... but it certainly won't hurt to aim high.

The general line between "good" and "bad" scores is often reported to be 30. Aim for above a 30 and you should be in good shape. Anything below a 30 may keep you out of some schools. Above a 30 won't keep you out of anywhere, including the top ten schools.

The biggest advice I can give though is to take practice tests. You should know what you expect to get when you walk into that testing facility on test day. Do NOT walk in there without knowing what you are likely to get. It's a foolish thing to do. If you are not scoring above 30 on practice tests, do not take the test. It will be a waste of time and money to take it. Think about it, the median score is 28 or so, which means more than 50% of people taking the MCAT should never have taken it in the first place! Do yourself a favor and practice practice practice.

Anything above a 27 will get you an interview in some Allopathic Schools. Doesn't mean you'll get in (your ECs/Activities/Awards/GPA, etc. will be a bigger determining factor). The MCAT is just a reference to put you into a "paper pile" of other applicants that applied to that school. That being said, I agree shoot for a 45, cuz even if you don't get it you'll most likely end up with a high score and a good GPA to boot.:thumbup:

Honestly if you get above a 27 or so I think the most important thing is to choose schools that are good matches. I am a pretty average applicant (3.7, 33), didn't apply ultra early (I was complete most schools in mid-August), and I have five interviews already...including two of my top choices. I don't think I'm an outstanding applicant at all. I just applied to schools in my stats range that valued qualities I had. I have lots of clinical and volunteer experience but very little research, so I didn't apply to schools that focused on research. I chose schools that emphasize service, and I talked about that on my secondaries too. There is no magic MCAT that makes one competitive overall since each school views it differently.

That said, you should certainly aim for the highest score YOU can get, and schools do need to know that you are able to perform under the pressure of difficult exams.

I have to echo others by saying there is no reason to not do both. Study hard and aim for a 45 on the MCAT and volunteer or get a job in a hospital if you can. There is no reason to not do both.