• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

MCAT in June or July?? Please help

dan123

7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
  1. Pre-Medical
    Before everyone says the obvious and tells me to take it in June, let me explain.
    I will be finishing my last semester of pre reqs up next semester and the closest date to take the MCAT is June 16. That would give me about 2 weeks to do any last minute studying for it. Even though I am slowly starting to study for it now, I don't think those two weeks will be enough, even if I study everyday for 8 hours straight during those two weeks, which was my plan. I am scared of getting burned out for the actual test. Anyone been in a similar situation?
    so should I postpone the test for a month later to get another entire month to study? I know this will hurt my chances based on rolling admission, but I am almost positive that extra time will help me probably increase a couple points on the test maybe. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance if I dont reply back

Richardh

10+ Year Member
    Jul 3, 2008
      I would postpone 1 month and study extra hard instead of taking it early. 2 weeks of intense focused MCAT study is not enough. You want to make sure to get a high score. But most importantly you want to make sure that you take the test only once (although there are many applicants who take it 2 or 3 times but it's really best to take it once). So study intensely and achieve a great score. Good luck and your extra 1 month of studying will definitely help you in my view :thumbup:

badb100d

Jedi Master
      10+ Year Member
      Oct 23, 2008
      City of Dreams
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I actually had the same debate with myself last year, but ended up opting for the first July date. While I was disturbed that my application would be later, I knew I'd perform better given more time and that's exactly what happened. The few extra weeks does not seem to have harmed my application cycle at all (it probably helped in fact) it only pushed my time line a bit farther out ie. waiting longer for invites, no decisions by 10/15. All in all, I have no regrets. Good luck with your decision.

About the Ads

1fastmedic

Thankful for my life
        Nov 30, 2010
        South Carolina
        1. Medical Student
          It's never good to rush taking the MCAT! Take the extra month and study as much as possible and take lots of practice tests. You want to be as prepared as you can be. I had to take it twice because I rushed it the first time, and I don't recommend it. Good luck!

spiderpete

dontstartalandwarinasia
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Dec 6, 2008
          Chicago
          1. Medical Student
            Don't take it till you are ready. 2 weeks is not enough. Have you done some preliminary prep while taking classes? Even still, the risk of being a 'late' applicant (and mid August isn't that late), you are better off getting a stronger MCAT score by studying longer. July.

dan123

7+ Year Member
            Sep 1, 2010
            1. Pre-Medical
              The ruling seems to lean greatly towards waiting until July, so that is what I will do. Kind of had a feeling I should, just wanted to get that extra reassurance. Thanks everyone.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.