MCAT in June vs July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moodybrownbear

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether I should take the mcat in June or July. Currently it's hovering around 508, I think I can get it to 512ish by June and maybe 518ish by July. My stats are

non-traditional
10 years in the industry, engineering + MBB (consulting) + FAANG (manager level)
4.0 GPA BS, 3.9 MS Engineering
500+ hours of shadowing at medical clinic
100+ hours of research way back in undergrad
1000+ hours of volunteering
Top schools are NYU, Harvard, UCSF, Colombia. Safety is Baylor

Let me know if June is good or I should wait until July for these schools

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

With a 508 None of those schools are particularly realistic, even with a 518 they’re going to be tough. My advice is to take as much time as you need to do as well as you can on the MCAT, then make a school list that gives you as high of a chance as possible for admission.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm trying to decide whether I should take the mcat in June or July. Currently it's hovering around 508, I think I can get it to 512ish by June and maybe 518ish by July. My stats are

non-traditional
10 years in the industry, engineering + MBB (consulting) + FAANG (manager level)
4.0 GPA BS, 3.9 MS Engineering
500+ hours of shadowing at medical clinic
100+ hours of research way back in undergrad
1000+ hours of volunteering
Top schools are NYU, Harvard, UCSF, Colombia. Safety is Baylor

Let me know if June is good or I should wait until July for these schools

Thanks for reading!

With acceptance rates for medical schools typically ranging from about 1-10%, there is no such thing as a "safety" medical school. Most of your top choice schools have MCAT averages in the 520s. A 518 would be on the low end for a school like NYU. My own school's MCAT average is substantially lower than Harvard's, yet we still reject 520+ scorers every year.

508 is fine for DO programs and state MD; you'll want to target a 513 or above for the best shot at an MD acceptance.

You should take the MCAT only when you are within your target MCAT score range after taking all four AAMC MCAT practice exams under timed, simulated testing conditions. This may require you to push your application back a cycle - a July MCAT (August score release) is already on the later side. Ideally, you'd have a competitive MCAT score in by July 1 to maximize your chances at interview invitations.