1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

mcat induced insomnia

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MyInitialsAreJC, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MyInitialsAreJC

Pre-Medical
    makes it hard to study during the daytime.

ive been taking melatonin but i think i pop awake as soon as it wears off, ~3 hours into falling asleep.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member

Medical Student
    Melatonin is not a sleeping pill; it regulates your sleep cycle. It really only works if you take it consistently.

I have acute insomnia and I take Melatonin. You need to get into the habit of taking it and going to sleep at the same time every night.

4. karlin009

karlin009 5 more minutes..

Pineal Gland, part of the endocrine system:
    Melatonin is regulated by the light and dark cycles. It also plays a role in regulating Circadian Rhythms.

lol..sorry had to say it

Try exercising, that helped me

5. suicidal cell

suicidal cell Following the TRAIL

Pre-Medical
    Yep, exercise works wonders. However, don't do it right before you sleep.

6. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I take Unisom, but I find that my limbs feel so weak the next day. Is there a better OTC sleep aid? Can you get melatonin OTC? I just lie in bed almost every night wishing I could go to sleep!

7. karlin009

karlin009 5 more minutes..

I don't know of any. I took Unisom last summer for my personal mcat inferno, but I quickly developed tolerance for it. Then took lunesta, again, my nerves resisted and wouldn't rest. The best thing to do, I think, is cut down on the caffine. If you need to have some... drink it in the morning. Even if you go to bed at 4 am, force yourself to get up at 6 or 7. Yeah! and no nap. If you are tired all day..just put in a good 4 hours and make up for it the next day.

And go to the gym everyday..you don't want to look busted after the test when you finally get to party..lol