MCAT not improving, test in 3 days, 3rd retake. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutralobserver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know this is a bit last minute, but at this point I am really frustrated and beyond livid with my progress so far. I'll get right into it.

I first took the new MCAT in 2016 scoring a 500. Retook a month later, since I realized I didn't have the practice time I needed, scoring 503. I used popular MCAT prep materials, videos, SDN contributor notes/hints, etc.

I gave myself about 1 year to finish up undergrad and now I have been studying for my third retake for January 25th, 2018 since the beginning of October 2017 using TPR resources and more online ones not to mention my previous resources from last year and have managed to only pull up to a 504. My first practice test in October was 501. How is that even possible?!

I took AAMC FL 1, 2, & 3 as well TPR FLs (which I know are much more difficult). The 504 is AAMC FL 3.

My goal is 515 or at least above a 510. I thought giving myself 4 months study time would allow for good pacing, adequate resource allocation/utilization, and time to take breaks without burning out. What is going on? Should I reschedule or just take it on the 25th and hope I can get it to a 510?

By the way, I had no job and no obligations. Literally studying ~6 hours a day with plenty of content review/practice passages. I felt much more effective this time around and feel I know more material as well....

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Although your scores aren't great, they truly are not terrible. Whats your GPA? If it is 3.8+, you are not in terrible shape with a 505+ Obviously that isn't ideal but don't feel like you can never be a doctor if you score in the same range again. Also, when youre applying to MD schools make sure you apply to a few of your top DO schools as well since either way, you would be a doctor. I had a 504 with a 3.86 GPA (i am an URM which might skew things a bit) and got in to 4 MD schools and a bunch of DO schools. I hope you do better but if for some reason you don't, it isn't the end of the world

I'd say take it on the 25th one last time and then apply this upcoming cycle. This is my advice I hope to hear what others think!

I would postpone unless you want to go DO, even then a 504 isn't that different from a 503 so I might not take it at all. What are you individual section scores?

Thanks for the responses so far.

FL section scores (on average):
P/C: 126-127 (usually my worst)
CARS: 127-128
B/B: 126-128
P/S: 127-128

Obviously I want to see 128 on all or most as my goal is 510+, but I can't seem to quite get there!

Right now, I am thinking of taking it, since the test day is so close, but possibly voiding the score.

The issue I am contemplating is: if I take the exam and void it and take it (scored) a month or two from now, what else can I do to improve? I have taken it 2 times now and have taken FL's from Kap, PR, EK, and AAMC as well as the official guide, the Qbank, and other resources. I am confident that my content knowledge is as close to mastery as it can get, with the obvious learning of a few more concepts always possible. Conclusion: my strategy must be lacking. I don't know how else to tackle this and I don't want to accept that I plateau at ~505 range or 75% percentile.

Is it worth taking the exam again and getting a ~506-508 or waiting and getting a 510 or higher, if that is even possible? Who knows, but I don't know if I can improve my strategy in the next 1-3 months to ensure that my score does improve. I have read, what seems, all the SDN posts on MCAT Strategies and Reddit as well as Kaplan and PR books/guides/strategies, what am I missing?

Why I believe, to be "safe", I need at least a 510+
Graduated state school
GPA: 3.6 (upward trend)
Ex. C.:
--2 pubs under review (2nd author: medium impact journals)
--Extensive Shadow, Volunteer, Service
--Good LOR
--Work experience clinical and non-

Any suggestions?
Thanks again everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about content knowledge! That is a crucial mistake many people make, especially when they reaffirm that approach by using videos and books like Kaplan. You need to focus on doing passages. The test is about mastering the art of taking their test; it's not about knowing and recalling tons of stuff. For me, I made sure I did passages and really understood what each question was asking. I got very good at seeing analogies to what they were asking and simplifying questions that way. That only comes from passages with great explanations. You listed all of your materials from multiple times studying, but you lack the materials know for high quality passages. I personally think that is where the problem stems from. You think you know it because you can recall the material, but the MCAT is about applying knowledge which comes from practicing with tough questions.

Reactions: 4 users
It's not about content knowledge! That is a crucial mistake many people make, especially when they reaffirm that approach by using videos and books like Kaplan. You need to focus on doing passages. The test is about mastering the art of taking their test; it's not about knowing and recalling tons of stuff. For me, I made sure I did passages and really understood what each question was asking. I got very good at seeing analogies to what they were asking and simplifying questions that way. That only comes from passages with great explanations. You listed all of your materials from multiple times studying, but you lack the materials know for high quality passages. I personally think that is where the problem stems from. You think you know it because you can recall the material, but the MCAT is about applying knowledge which comes from practicing with tough questions.

Thanks for the reply. What resources of the ones I suggested would you recommend or have seen work time and time again since you mentioned high quality passages?

For me, TBR passages were the most critical part of my materials collection. I used EK for CARS and TPR for psych/sociology. I pounded out TBR passages (literally, over a thousand science passages) and I sifted through their explanations, whether I got it right or wrong, to learn better and faster ways to answer questions. By the time I was done with all those passages, I felt ready for anything the MCAT could throw.

Reactions: 1 user
For me, TBR passages were the most critical part of my materials collection. I used EK for CARS and TPR for psych/sociology. I pounded out TBR passages (literally, over a thousand science passages) and I sifted through their explanations, whether I got it right or wrong, to learn better and faster ways to answer questions. By the time I was done with all those passages, I felt ready for anything the MCAT could throw.

Thanks! I will consider them in addition to EK. In terms of full lengths, since I used all my AAMC 1, 2, 3, which do you think are wise to use? Or should I retake AAMC (I have read this is a general NO).

I only trusted AAMC exams. I used (and liked) EK, Altius, and TBR exams, but they weren't as good as AAMC exams. I personally think FLs are overrated. As long as you are using ones you haven't seen before, you'll be fine.

Thanks! I will consider them in addition to EK. In terms of full lengths, since I used all my AAMC 1, 2, 3, which do you think are wise to use? Or should I retake AAMC (I have read this is a general NO).

FLs are good for 2 reasons
1. Build timing and stamina
2. Extra passage practice

#2 is negated by doing it more than once in a short time span. I would say min 6 mos between retaking an FL.

#1 can be achieved by grabbing your pool of practice passages and making your own practice FLs, and not really worrying about its "predictive" value.

Unsolicited advice below:
If I were you, I'd apply DO. Hard truth is that 3.6/505 is not going to get you anywhere MD unless you have a mitigating factor (connections, live in a forgiving state, disadvantaged status, etc). There is nothing wrong with DO, and I've met plenty of great DOs who seemed as competent (if not more so) than the MDs they worked alongside.

With a 3.6, you are correct in aiming for 510-515 for MD.

If you're not a purist, PA or NP is a great alternative to DO/MD.

Hard truth is that 3.6/505 is not going to get you anywhere MD

I know, that's why I am so adamant on getting that 510+ and willing to do anything for it!

you are correct in aiming for 510-515 for MD

510+, from what I have endlessly calculated (LizzyM, WedgeDawg, etc.) and read, is what would potentially allow me chances at various US MD schools given my GPA and E.C.'s.

I have always considered DOs, but never necessarily wanted to go that route due to my aspirations in certain fields of medicine that are best accomplished at an allopathic school.

Build timing and stamina

Those have never been an issue with me as I always end with around 5-10 min to spare if I choose to review. What that could mean though, is that I need to spend more time dissecting/understanding each question/passage more fully. I can't quite pinpoint my exact issue, which is part of the problem, but it would seem to be just getting past the last two answer choices I have narrowed down.

I wouldn't recommend taking the exam in 3 days. If you're only managing a 504 and your goal is 510+, you're not magically going to achieve that on the real exam. I would recommend the NextStep full length exams. I agree with what everyone else is saying. The MCAT isn't just about content, it's really about applying what you're reading. For that reason, you really need to do more passages and when you get questions wrong, really understand why you got them wrong.

Yeah I have decided to take it, because why not, but, VOID it. March 24th is my next goal. I am probably going to look into purchasing NS, EK, and TBR for some FLs and see what else they have to offer in the way of passages.

Those have never been an issue with me as I always end with around 5-10 min to spare if I choose to review. What that could mean though...

NO. This is the right timing. 5-10 min to spare on practice FLs is the perfect cushion for the actual exam. Because the following can and WILL happen on your exam:
-You get hung up on one or more Qs, and waste time
-You get question(s) you have to come back and review
-You get flustered, and need to literally take 30 seconds to shut your eyes, focus on your breathing, and slowly count to 30
-Your damn earplugs JUST WON'T STAY IN even though they were fine during the break
-Your brain decides to do a full restart for 15 seconds and you completely lose yourself for a bit
-You get a WTF moment when reading a question
-Other time killers

That 5-10 minutes is great because you have a cushion to protect yourself in case any of the above decides to strike

Yeah I have decided to take it, because why not, but, VOID it. March 24th is my next goal. I am probably going to look into purchasing NS, EK, and TBR for some FLs and see what else they have to offer in the way of passages.

Why void it? I don't get it. Voiding still counts against your take limit, you're already considered a retaker, why not just score it and see how you do?

If I were you, I'd take it. Don't do anything MCAT related the two days before the exam, and on your exam, try your best to nail it. Then get it scored. Who knows, you may have a breakout performance, completely overperform, and break 510.
I took last September, at the end I seriously considered voiding because I felt that there was no way I broke 510. I ran out of time on the C/P section because I fell for a trap question and got hung up on it. Then I rushed Bio because I had to pee BAD 10 minutes into the section, finished with like 20 min remaining, and bolted out of there. I decided that I might as well score it, I won't lose much for it.

Ended up with a 517.

If you have a super solid reason to void, fine. You can void it. But to me, since it counts as a take anyways, might as well have it scored. And if you have such a reason, and it proves me wrong, please post it so I can stop posting wrong advice.

NO. This is the right timing. 5-10 min to spare on practice FLs is the perfect cushion for the actual exam. Because the following can and WILL happen on your exam:
-You get hung up on one or more Qs, and waste time
-You get question(s) you have to come back and review
-You get flustered, and need to literally take 30 seconds to shut your eyes, focus on your breathing, and slowly count to 30
-Your damn earplugs JUST WON'T STAY IN even though they were fine during the break
-Your brain decides to do a full restart for 15 seconds and you completely lose yourself for a bit
-You get a WTF moment when reading a question
-Other time killers

That 5-10 minutes is great because you have a cushion to protect yourself in case any of the above decides to strike

Why void it? I don't get it. Voiding still counts against your take limit, you're already considered a retaker, why not just score it and see how you do?

If I were you, I'd take it. Don't do anything MCAT related the two days before the exam, and on your exam, try your best to nail it. Then get it scored. Who knows, you may have a breakout performance, completely overperform, and break 510.
I took last September, at the end I seriously considered voiding because I felt that there was no way I broke 510. I ran out of time on the C/P section because I fell for a trap question and got hung up on it. Then I rushed Bio because I had to pee BAD 10 minutes into the section, finished with like 20 min remaining, and bolted out of there. I decided that I might as well score it, I won't lose much for it.

Ended up with a 517.

If you have a super solid reason to void, fine. You can void it. But to me, since it counts as a take anyways, might as well have it scored. And if you have such a reason, and it proves me wrong, please post it so I can stop posting wrong advice.

I do agree with your timing statements; they were valid and made sense (earplugs :laugh: ) Just speculating as to my timing...

I know it still counts against the amount of tests I can take in the testing period, but I believe, from what I have been reading over SDN, that a void>bad score and that a void will not be sent to schools, but they may choose to see it on the score report (if they can even do that? still fuzzy on that). So I would rather balance probabilities and say that between taking the test this time or taking it in March, the latter probability is higher to get a better score than the former.

I see. In that case it's up to you. I have just always felt that with scoring, there's a chance you "get lucky" and for whatever reason, overperform. Like a one-hit wonder in music, or a break-out game in sports. Voiding your score means you never even get the chance to do that.

Of course, it's easy for me to say that in retrospect now that I have a great score (I first took the MCAT in 2012), but I respect your choice.