MCAT, Orgo, and so forth...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ran13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie and first time poster here. :) With the way my future schedules look (I'm currently a sophomore, double majoring in a B.S. and B.F.A.), I'd be finishing Orgo II in the second semester of my junior year. Unless I take Orgo I over the summer, but I've been advised not to do so by some. Would this be a big problem? I'm not too fond of chemistry, thanks to a certain high school experience, but I don't exactly think the material is uninteresting.

Secondly, I know the normal pre-requisites are Bio, Chem, Orgo, and Physics, all with lab, but are there any other recommended courses I should take and/or desperately need? Any habits I should develop right now?

Lastly, what's your opinion on the whole taking-a-year-off-before-med-school thing? It's not exactly related to the MCAT, but it sort of does depend on when you take the exam.

I hope I've given you enough to read ;) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey these are all great questions I will try to do my best to answer, hopefully some more SDN long time members can help.

At my university taking Orgo I in summer is a good thing because of usually no cumulative final. Although this is not the case for you, so I mean it all depends on what you are going to be taking that summer. If you are not taking a lot of classes in that summer, then why not take Orgo I much easier to focus on maybe. Believe me I'm not fond of chemistry also but Orgo is much more clearer :).
Other than pre-reqs required for MCAT and medschool, maybe go for anatomy that might help you with biology section on MCAT. This is considering when you finish those required pre-reqs. Also you could take biochem not necessary but also helpful.
Habits start reading articles (verbal section MCAT) this will help you to get ready for the verbal section on the MCAT. Maybe when you are reading books or articles try to think of the main idea or get the gist of what the author is saying.
I think it would be great to do the whole taking-a-year-off-before-med-school thing. I personally think lets say you get a good MCAT score 30+. This is pretty much a good guarantee you might into medical school if your other criteria is good (GPA, ec, and volunteering etc). Taking a year off is not bad because you MCAT scores are still valid when you get back and also you will be ready and charged for Med school. It all again depends on the person. GOOD LUCK

SL

I am also wondering if taking O-chem junior year would be a big problem. Would it negatively effect a review course if you took one? (i.e. kaplan)

There's no problem with taking O-chem in your junior year. The only issue that may arise is if you try to take the MCAT without a full year of O-chem. I strongly advise everyone to finish their pre-reqs before they take the MCAT.

About taking O-chem in the summer, I'd take the advice of your peers. They probably have a significantly better idea about what a summer O-chem course entails at your school.

The most helpful course you can take is probably Genetics. Other useful classes are Biochem, and Anat and Phys.

I think everyone, without exception, should take a year off before medical school. There are numerous benefits to doing so:

1. Less stress
2. Don't miss class due to interviews
3. Have plenty of time for the MCAT
4. Strengthen ECs
5. Gain experience and become a more well-rounded individual
6. Recharge after years of school
7. Spend time with family and friends
8. Travel
9. Most importantly, have some fun before medical school