moocow012

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
8
0
Status
Is orgo a big part of the MCAT? Say, can I skip it completely and still get a 12 on the BS? Thanks
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
It all depends on your form. But I highly doubt that you would be able to get a 12 if you don't study it at all. It's a big risk to take, especially because the orgo on the MCAT isn't that complex, so most of it should be easy points.
 

jsol

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
155
0
texas
Status
Medical Student
about 25 questions are orgo. So there is no way you can make a 12 by skipping. You have to know the orgo, i know it sucks but theres no way around it.
 
About the Ads

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
1,476
0
35
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status
Attending Physician
luckycharms08 said:
It all depends on your form. But I highly doubt that you would be able to get a 12 if you don't study it at all. It's a big risk to take, especially because the orgo on the MCAT isn't that complex, so most of it should be easy points.
Agree on the easy points, plus i think its easy to study. Now Micro on the other hand :thumbdown:
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
moocow012 said:
Is orgo a big part of the MCAT? Say, can I skip it completely and still get a 12 on the BS? Thanks

No. Bad Idea. Spectroscopy questions are easy points if you have a basic understanding of NMR. You'll get at least 2-3 passages plus a few discretes. That's upwards of 20-25 questions.
 

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
8,469
1
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
dIvErDoC said:
Agree on the easy points, plus i think its easy to study.
After taking a couple AAMC practice tests, I have to agree. If things stay like this, I'm hoping for as much Orgo as possible on my form.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
I had two killer orgo passages, both on R&S isomers which I thought was odd. I guess it was making up for a relatively easy VR section on my form.

EDIT: I also had a synthesis passage, but they mixed in some questions on enzymes so it wasn't excusively orgo.
 
About the Ads