MCAT Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moocow012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is orgo a big part of the MCAT? Say, can I skip it completely and still get a 12 on the BS? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on your form. But I highly doubt that you would be able to get a 12 if you don't study it at all. It's a big risk to take, especially because the orgo on the MCAT isn't that complex, so most of it should be easy points.

about 25 questions are orgo. So there is no way you can make a 12 by skipping. You have to know the orgo, i know it sucks but theres no way around it.

luckycharms08 said:
It all depends on your form. But I highly doubt that you would be able to get a 12 if you don't study it at all. It's a big risk to take, especially because the orgo on the MCAT isn't that complex, so most of it should be easy points.

Agree on the easy points, plus i think its easy to study. Now Micro on the other hand :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
moocow012 said:
Is orgo a big part of the MCAT? Say, can I skip it completely and still get a 12 on the BS? Thanks

No. Bad Idea. Spectroscopy questions are easy points if you have a basic understanding of NMR. You'll get at least 2-3 passages plus a few discretes. That's upwards of 20-25 questions.

dIvErDoC said:
Agree on the easy points, plus i think its easy to study.

After taking a couple AAMC practice tests, I have to agree. If things stay like this, I'm hoping for as much Orgo as possible on my form.

I had two killer orgo passages, both on R&S isomers which I thought was odd. I guess it was making up for a relatively easy VR section on my form.

EDIT: I also had a synthesis passage, but they mixed in some questions on enzymes so it wasn't excusively orgo.