MCAT Passages vs Stand-Alone Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to really struggle with the passages which is where the majority of my mistakes come from. From all the practice tests I've taken, I notice I rarely miss the stand-alone questions, which indicates that content is not my problem. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve on passages? Even the slightest tweak in strategy could make all the difference...

Members don't see this ad.

I seem to really struggle with the passages which is where the majority of my mistakes come from. From all the practice tests I've taken, I notice I rarely miss the stand-alone questions, which indicates that content is not my problem. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve on passages? Even the slightest tweak in strategy could make all the difference...

Well unfortunately man this signifies a potentially big issue with reading comp, which ultimately is basically what the MCAT is about.

Practice, practice, practice. Buy the question packs from AAMC.

One thing I experimented with was reading the passage through once, then going back and using the highlighting feature. Could be helpful for you.

Good luck.

Well unfortunately man this signifies a potentially big issue with reading comp, which ultimately is basically what the MCAT is about.

Practice, practice, practice. Buy the question packs from AAMC.

One thing I experimented with was reading the passage through once, then going back and using the highlighting feature. Could be helpful for you.

Good luck.
Haven't tried that yet and I'm desperate so I will give it a go. Aside from CARS I always finish with time remaining so I definitely have the time. Thank you