MCAT Physics Equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panis et Circenses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just wondering to what extent you need to memorize all the physics equations. I'm about halfway done with studying for physics and I have about 30 equations already. Do you need to know every equation, and every detail of it? Do passages provide equations at all? I'm just wondering if it's worth the time to memorize every detail of every equation.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm just wondering to what extent you need to memorize all the physics equations. I'm about halfway done with studying for physics and I have about 30 equations already. Do you need to know every equation, and every detail of it? Do passages provide equations at all? I'm just wondering if it's worth the time to memorize every detail of every equation.

Take any advice you get with a grain of salt.

With that said, I don't think I memorized too many physics equations. I think (atleast it worked in my case) focusing on the concepts that the equations describe should help you when you actually encounter them on the MCAT.

If you want an example, you can look at Pouiselle's Law (as described in general terms on the AAMC content list) which describes flow. If you think about the factors that effect flow in an intuitive sense, you will have the information you need to reconstruct the equation to the extent at which you need it for the MCAT.

You know intuitively that flow (Q) is based on:
1. Wider (R) pipes allow more flow
2. Greater pressure (P) difference between the pipes end causes greater flow
3. Greater viscosity (N) (think honey compared to water) would decrease flow.
4. Greater length (l) of the pipe would exacerbate the effects of the viscosity so longer pipes = lower Q.

Putting these together in this example you might get something that looks like Q=P*R/N*l
The actual equation is Q=(pi*P*R^4)/8*N*l

So as you can see, most of the variables are placed properly as a result of intuition. This will usually be enough to solve many questions on the MCAT.

What is important is that you know what would happen to flow if one of the variable changes. The added constants if required will most likely be given to you. Based on this equation you may be asked for example (just making this up), what would happen to the flow of blood in an artery if it constricts itself to half the diameter. If they're looking for an exact numerical value, in my experience they will give you the equation.

I don't know, I found great success in looking at the "big picture" rather than the minutiae. Hopefully other people can give you some of their advice based on their experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Take any advice you get with a grain of salt.

With that said, I don't think I memorized too many physics equations. I think (atleast it worked in my case) focusing on the concepts that the equations describe should help you when you actually encounter them on the MCAT.

If you want an example, you can look at Pouiselle's Law which describes flow. If you think about the factors that effect flow in an intuitive sense, you will have the information you need to reconstruct the equation to the extent at which you need it for the MCAT.

You know intuitively that flow (Q) is based on:
1. Wider (R) pipes allow more flow
2. Greater pressure (P) difference between the pipes end causes greater flow
3. Greater viscosity (N) (think honey compared to water) would decrease flow.
4. Greater length (l) of the pipe would exacerbate the effects of the viscosity so longer pipes = lower Q.

Putting these together in this example you might get something that looks like Q=P*R/N*l
The actual equation is Q=(pi*P*R^4)/8*N*l

So as you can see, most of the variables are placed properly as a result of intuition. This will usually be enough to solve many questions on the MCAT.

What is important is that you know what would happen to flow if one of the variable changes. The added constants if required will most likely be given to you. Based on this equation you may be asked for example (just making this up), what would happen to the flow of blood in an artery if it constricts itself to half the diameter. If they're looking for an exact numerical value, in my experience they will give you the equation.

I don't know, I found great success in looking at the "big picture" rather than the minutiae. Hopefully other people can give you some of their advice based on their experience.
Thanks, that's good information. So was your strategy to memorize or at least understand the equations that are relevant for the test then? Do you remember if any equations were provided in passages?

Thanks, that's good information. So was your strategy to memorize or at least understand the equations that are relevant for the test then? Do you remember if any equations were provided in passages?
I received some incredible advice prior to studying for my MCAT that I will pass along:
1. Understanding equations is DEFINITIVELY more important than memorizing/knowing equations. As I am thick-headed, it took me a while to understand this.
2. The MCAT will rarely ask you to whip out an equation (I didn't have to).
3. Understanding relationships is CRITICALLY important (which plays off of point number 1). I probably didn't have to use any equations because I understood what happens when x or y changed/increased/decreased/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I would try to understand the equations which would help me remember them better. Obscure equations or non-intuitive constants may be given but there is no guarantee and I admit this is pretty frustrating. Let's just say that I wasn't at any point wishing I verbatim remembered an equation but that may just have been luck. Regardless, I still stand by the opinion that understanding the concepts underlying equations will be more important as it helps you "memorize" the equation anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies guys, that helps.

I have another question, not sure if I should post here or make another thread... But with the new MCAT it seems there still isn't quite as much practice material out there. I know they took some stuff out for the physics section, so some of the old material probably isn't as useful. So what are some resources one could use to get more practice with physics questions for the new MCAT?

Thanks for the replies guys, that helps.

I have another question, not sure if I should post here or make another thread... But with the new MCAT it seems there still isn't quite as much practice material out there. I know they took some stuff out for the physics section, so some of the old material probably isn't as useful. So what are some resources one could use to get more practice with physics questions for the new MCAT?
I used the old TBR books for the passage based questions along with Kaplan/EK for review. The new TBR books are likely even better for MCAT 2015 questions in terms of relevance. Check out "mcatjelly's" schedule.