MCAT Physiology (intro course or upper div)

Started by triplebond
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

triplebond

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning my preparations for the MCAT and was wondering if it would be better to take an intro physiology class or an upper division physiology class, because the upper division class requires a prerequisite that I don't need for anything. How much in detail does the MCAT cover physiology? Also, is it necessary for me to take an anatomy class to prepare for the MCAT too?

Here are the descriptions of either physiology classes:

intro physiology class (4 units with lab): general introduction to the functional integration of human body systems; intended for majors in biomedical engineering, physical education, and the allied health fields

upper division physiology class (3 units no lab, prerequisite: ecology/physiology): function of various mammalian body systems, primarily of humans; emphasis on integration of homeostatic mechanisms of nervous, muscular, endocrine, cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, digestive, and reproductive systems

Thank you!
 
List of biology classes I had before the mcat:

Introductory biology.

...

Made a c. Got a 35 on the MCAT.

The new mcat apparently formally tests biochem though? Have a feeling it still wouldn't require a biochem course
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's very impressive. Yeah it does test the first semester of biochem.

Don't misunderstand the intent of my post. Not a brag. My point is the required content knowledge for the mcat doesn't much exceed what you'll find in review books. It's much more a test of applying that relatively small amount of core knowledge to learn new material and answer questions on that. Advanced classes and extensive content knowledge from those classes will undoubtedly help, it's just unnecessary and imo an inefficient use of time
 
My Intro Physio course was perfect for the MCAT, taught me the basics of respiration and cariovasular and a LOT about reproduction and endocrine.
 
If it should be covered in first year bio classes, I guess I'll just take the intro physio class.

You definitely don't need to take an advanced physiology class to learn material for the MCAT.

But the key thing Ill say is this; AAMC doesn't determine what is and isn't taught in a first year bio class. Your teacher does. The idea that my intro bio teachers taught even half the material on the AAMC list is laughable.

That said, anybody is capable of learning the extra material by themselves. It's just a matter of spending extra time and how much extra time you have. The MCAT isn't a test of content; it's reasoning and comprehension.Iif you are very good at those 2 skills you can still get a very good score with just an intro bio class that skips alot of that material even if you only give a cursory and brief review to whatever isn't cover on your own time. Biochem however is a harder class to learn by yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I showed my friend the "Worst advice you received as a premed" thread, he said that the worst advice he received was that you don't need to take physiology for the MCAT.
 
@triplebond I only took the intro physiology course in undergrad (along w the 2 intro bio courses) and I did fine on the mcat. I'd recommend taking physio over anatomy if you can only take one (I took both)
 
I guess it won't hurt to enroll for the intro physio class then and if it doesn't seem like a good fit, I'll just drop it within the first two weeks to avoid the W. Thanks though everyone!