Mcat preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrianh00

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Im new to this and would like some feedback from experts like you. I’m planning to take the Mcat around March of 2021(yes still have plenty of time) and would like to begin studying now. This will be helpful for knocking out courses out, while studying. Recently bought the Kaplan 2018-2019 7 series books and wondering if it was a good choice(were cheap). I know there are new ones out, will I be fine with these, how does Kaplan compare to the berkley review, Princeton review(if anyone has had experienced with them). Also planning to buy some AAMC full length tests in the future , since practice is key. Really dedicated to get into medical school and want to take advantage of any useful resources out there. Is there any useful tools that you found helpful for a particular subject on the MCAT. Also is university research key or important for an applicant? What do you guys think? Will appreciate the feedback and good luck to all of you in your medical journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, and I think many others will agree that studying for over a year is pointless. Dedicate your time to doing well and understanding the material in your classes, and then plan a time to study for 3-6 months before your test date. Also, research is highly suggested for research intensive schools but not necessarily a requirement for schools that are more service-based.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback and yea you have a point. Just think that going with the Mcat prep books/and tests along the way will help me and motivate me more to understand everything.

Thank you for your feedback and yea you have a point. Just think that going with the Mcat prep books/and tests along the way will help me and motivate me more to understand everything.
Using the books to supplement classes may be fine, but I don't suggest using any of the AAMC material until right before the test. This is the most representative material of the MCAT and using it up many months before the exam would not be smart in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the review books are, for the most part, pretty similar. They all have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day, your score won't be dictated by the review book you bought. Also, older editions of your MCAT book are completely fine- they hardly change from year to year.

Be sure to use Khan Academy. Their videos are great for helping you understand material that might not be so clear from a review book, and the P/S document from MCATKINGS is one of the most utilized P/S resources out there. Towards the end of your studying (final 1-2 months) you should do the AAMC material.

I'd add that it's probably too early to begin studying. Unless you plan to study consistently for the next two years, there's hardly any reason to start now. And even if you do plan to study for the next two years, you're going to reach a point of diminishing returns.

As for research, it definitely helps. Some schools care more than others, but if you were to do research, you have to make sure it is significant. What that means is, make sure you are in a lab for a long enough time to make significant progress. If you were asked to talk about your research experience in an interview, you should be able to explain it forwards and backwards. If you are able to get publications/presentations from your research, it makes the whole experience look much better on an application.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

@Adrianh00 Don't do it, only study like 3-5 mo (6 max). The issue is people start to forget what they reviewed in the beginning. If you want to use those Kaplan books (which work well, those are what I used to score 95th-%ile on the MCAT) use them as a reference while you finish up the pre-req's to see how heavily the material in class will be featured on the MCAT. Find the high-yield topics and learn those really well for the class and you'll have a better time when the time comes to study full time for the MCAT. CHeers!