MCAT (Prereq) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamiller13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first time posting but I am looking for some solid advice, and I haven't been able to find a question similar to mine.

I know that medical schools let you apply without all of the prerequisites done, but, for lack of a better phrasing and due to my increasing frustration, how on Earth am I supposed to take the MCAT without them??? Why can I apply without them, but be expected to know the knowledge that I should gain from them already? I am a non-traditional student who is also graduating in three years instead of four to save money, with a BS in pre-health biology. I took a few post-secondary courses in high school, then went to our local college campus for two years, again, to save money. I am now at Ohio State University main campus for my final year, and commuting three hours a day so that I don't have to move. (I am a first generation Bachelors degree seeking college student and my parents never could have afforded to pay for any of my education. Then on top of that at the beginning of my freshman year they got divorced.)

The problem is, with needing to apply to medical school very soon if I want to start next fall, I still have yet to finish Ochem, Physics, or Biochemistry. I don't really don't think it is possible for me to do well on the MCAT without those, and I likely need a good score because I don't have the greatest GPA or experiences, as I was working so much and going to a campus with little opportunities.

Any advice? I really, really don't want to take a year off but I am afraid that is looking like it is my only option. On one hand I am afraid to spend the $300+ on the MCAT only to have an awful score on my record and be out the money.. On the other hand I am afraid to not at least try and take it, for fear I would have done okay enough to get into at least one school... Any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated, even if harsh.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. This is my first time posting but I am looking for some solid advice, and I haven't been able to find a question similar to mine.

I know that medical schools let you apply without all of the prerequisites done, but, for lack of a better phrasing and due to my increasing frustration, how on Earth am I supposed to take the MCAT without them??? Why can I apply without them, but be expected to know the knowledge that I should gain from them already? I am a non-traditional student who is also graduating in three years instead of four to save money, with a BS in pre-health biology. I took a few post-secondary courses in high school, then went to our local college campus for two years, again, to save money. I am now at Ohio State University main campus for my final year, and commuting three hours a day so that I don't have to move. (I am a first generation Bachelors degree seeking college student and my parents never could have afforded to pay for any of my education. Then on top of that at the beginning of my freshman year they got divorced.)

The problem is, with needing to apply to medical school very soon if I want to start next fall, I still have yet to finish Ochem, Physics, or Biochemistry. I don't really don't think it is possible for me to do well on the MCAT without those, and I likely need a good score because I don't have the greatest GPA or experiences, as I was working so much and going to a campus with little opportunities.

Any advice? I really, really don't want to take a year off but I am afraid that is looking like it is my only option. On one hand I am afraid to spend the $300+ on the MCAT only to have an awful score on my record and be out the money.. On the other hand I am afraid to not at least try and take it, for fear I would have done okay enough to get into at least one school... Any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated, even if harsh.
You could probably get by self-teaching yourself these subjects, but it would require a lot of effort. You say you want to matriculate to medical school next fall, but you're just now asking questions about the MCAT, so I'm assuming you haven't studied at all yet. Without taking the pre-reqs and without doing any studying so far, there's a very slim chance you'll be able to start med school next fall. You said you have a low GPA, so applying early would be best in your case. The latest you would realistically be able to take the MCAT would be June...but there's no way you can study and do well enough in ~1 month.

Not trying to be a downer, but realistically this doesn't seem possible.

The degree that you cover Organic Chemistry in your college courses is beyond the scope of the MCAT (at least from my experience). I believe that typically students don't grasp the concepts of Organic Chemistry and Physics well, and MCAT prep material does a fair job in helping you learn the material you need to know.

As for biochemistry, I won't lie, it is a big portion of the MCAT; however, much of it you have already been exposed to in your general biology classes - you just need to take the next step in learning the amino acids, glycolysis, all things metabolism.

I agree with the above poster - if you're planning on applying this cycle, I'd heavily recommend against it. You need to focus on doing well on your MCAT, which can definitely be a redeeming factor when it comes to your subpar GPA/ECs. My recommendation would be take a year off, earn some money working as a scribe or something and before then sign up for an MCAT prep course if necessary and then ace your MCAT. I know money seems like a big deal now, but think about it, what's a few thousand bucks when it comes to investing in your future?