MCAT problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calbears08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application should be okay because your ECs will make up for the drop in MCAT somewhat. Make sure that you apply broadly and smartly and you should be fine. If you are really worried, call the schools you are interested in and ask them what their policy is regarding retaking the MCAT. Some schools will look at both, some will take an average, some will take the better, some will take the best possible score combined, and some will use the second one alone. Depending on what they say, you might want to retake the test again after losing 2 points.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those schools that are sending you letters are just trying to get your money. A 30/31 with a 3.6 GPA is not good enough for most of the top 25 schools.

Thank you for your reply.

I think I'm receiving these letters because after taking my 1st MCAT the schools had access to my score through the Medical Minority Applicant Registry. I guess 30 is competitive for URMs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are going to be OK. You've got a whole lot going in your favor and and the only negative is that one verbal score. Schools will be able to see your are a very strong candidate. I definitely would not recommend that you take the MCAT again, you've been down that road already and you see what it got you. Good luck.

I've been told that people with good science scores and a low verbal simply have to have an english professor vouch for their reading comprehension and communication skills in a personal letter of recommendation to reassure med schools and not get screened out.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those schools that are sending you letters are just trying to get your money. A 30/31 with a 3.6 GPA is not good enough for most of the top 25 schools.
You forget that he's URM... That adds 7 points to his MCAT and .4 to his GPA*

* - I'm not being an ass, but URM does add weight to your application.

-_-; /sigh at reality. I love having to a lot harder for same consideration

Even as a URM, 30/31 is still not good enough for top 25. Maybe the lower end of that list (I haven't seen the latest rankings, so I don't know who is 20-25). 7 points is a lot. I think URM will add points to your application, but not 7 - thats quite a bit.

Thank you everyone.

I'm not feeling so bad about the score today. There's not much I can do to improve it, I just hope that the medical schools will take my previous score into consideration.

I really had no idea that being a URM would have this much influence. Nonetheless, I won't take anything for granted during this process.

FYI, I've received letters from 5 schools so far, all in the top 25, including a top 5 university.

Thank you everyone.

I'm not feeling so bad about the score today. There's not much I can do to improve it, I just hope that the medical schools will take my previous score into consideration.

I really had no idea that being a URM would have this much influence. Nonetheless, I won't take anything for granted during this process.

FYI, I've received letters from 5 schools so far, all in the top 25, including a top 5 university.

I wouldn't put any weight on the letters you are getting. I was in the same position and didn't even get interviews from them. They stole my money.

Lots of schools send out letters to students they have absolutely no interest in. They send letters just to try and get you to apply and take your $100. Don't put too much faith in those. Sorry.

ditto ditto ditto... dey took er jo...uhm moneyyyyyyyyy

Schools want your cash and that's pretty much it. Call me cynical but 10000 kids * 100 dollars? 1,000,000 thats' a nice chunk of change just to throw half of them in the trash cause they didn't meet the cutoff.

The letters I've been receiving are legit. The schools are paying for my secondaries, and just today I had a recruitment officer offer to hand my application to the dean of admissions. The top 25 schools have enough students applying without the need to steal money.

The letters I've been receiving are legit. The schools are paying for my secondaries, and just today I had a recruitment officer offer to hand my application to the dean of admissions. The top 25 schools have enough students applying without the need to steal money.

Jeez, I've never heard of such a thing! I'm not a URM, but I have to say I'm kind of shocked about the 'add 7 points to the MCAT score' for URM status. I presumed that there was some sort of incentive. Are you like actively contacting the minority offices or is it just a one way road of them contacting you? I'm just kind of shocked to be honest.
But, again, you'll be more than fine with the MCAT scores you have. Best of luck.

when i interviewed at duke, they said they had accepted a student with mcats as low as 23, and that person ended up being the top of his/her med school class... they also related a similar situation at harvard med... so you definitely have a chance to get in if u apply.

If this is true, then best of luck to you.

Don't forget that medical schools are non-profit. They need to bring in as much money as possible, and they are willing to do nearly anything to get applicants to apply to their schools just to waste the money. Running these schools is like running a business, and schools are always looking to get more money. Try not to dissolution yourself into thinking otherwise. Schools are more than happy to have applicants they can throw out because they are under the cut off just for two reasons - 1) It brings in the cash and 2) The low acceptance rate looks good on their next report card.

Status
Not open for further replies.