Help with school list- problem might be ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peyerpatch23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time ever posting on SDN after years of lurking so please bear with me!
I want to make my school list now that way I can prepare over this semester for the 2018-2019 app cycle. I have used the LizzyM (76.4) and WARS (88) scores but I feel like my stats put me at a higher tier of schools than I have a chance at. My ECs are super interesting to me and I’m dedicated to them/have learned a lot about medicine and myself. But to an adcom, I’m not so sure. Here’s my breakdown and my current preliminary school list (open to allll suggestions for adding/deleting):

Year: Junior
State: Michigan
cGPA: 3.94
sGPA: 3.94
MCAT: 520

Research: same lab since I started freshman year, main author on 1 poster (variable timing but ~8 hours weekly on avg, this year it’s kicked up a notch)

Clinical Volunteering: Fall risk volunteer and volunteer director at Hospital 1 (50 hours over 1.5 years, 2 hours weekly)

Shadowing: OB/Gyn 1 (60 hours), internal med (100 hours), pulmonologist (50 hours), pediatrician (DO) (30 hours), OB/Gyn (20 hours)

Non clinical volunteering: place of worship/youth group (100 hours over 3 years), volunteering in my campus’s city through my dance team (40 hours over 2 years, 4 hours monthly), blood bank at Hospital 2 (60 hours over 2 years), this semester I’m adding transitional home for homeless families (30 hours over 1 semester, 2 hours weekly)

Extracurricular Activities:
-Pre-SOMA (leadership: website and social media)- 6 hours monthly (weaaaak I know)
-RotarACT - rotary club for college age, monthly meetings and volunteering here and there
-Mentor for pre-DO program I’m in- 3 hours a week
-Dance team (leadership: captain for 2 years)- literally takes every breathing second I have. I can’t even put a number on how many hours I put in a week. At least 30 with practices and dedicated time for planning/choreo/administrative stuff, but like I said. Literally always doing stuff or thinking about stuff for the team. Started a “volunteering” department- coordinate service opportunities in the area for my team members to attend. There’s so many of us and many who love to get involved, I just provided the means for that.
-Another dance team- based in a different city so time commitment depends on if we have upcoming competitions. Regularly I’d give 3 hours a week, max about 15-20 during comp season

Employment:
-Undergrad Lab Assistant (3 years by the time I apply)
-Patient Sitter (200 hours so far, probably around 400 hours by the time I apply)
-Online tutor for a strictly tutoring website (recent, haven’t racked up any hours yet)

No immediate fam members in medicine

Specialty of interest: right now, OB/Gyn but trying to stay open to everything

Not interested in rural health. In fact, I’d really like to go to a med school on an urban campus with a very diverse patient population. I don’t particularly want to apply to any safety schools out of state.

School List: (in no particular order except region)
University of Michigan
MSUCOM
Wayne State
OUWB
-
OSU
Case Western
CCLCOM
Northwestern
Mayo
UChicago
-
Yale
University of Pittsburgh
Boston University
NYU
UPenn
Columbia
Icahn
-
Keck
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
-
UNC at Chapel Hill
Baylor
Washington University
Emory
Duke

Members don't see this ad.

You need more patient contact experinxe, like 100 hrs more, and then you're golden.
I’m working as a patient sitter throughout this semester and by the time I apply, I should have about 200 more hours. Is it okay that it’s work and not volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m working as a patient sitter throughout this semester and by the time I apply, I should have about 200 more hours. Is it okay that it’s work and not volunteering?
That's great! Then you'll be golden! I recommend swapping out Baylor with a school that's friendlier to OOSers, like any of the four Manhattan Titans. Also consider having on the list Pitt, Vandy, Hopkins, Emory, Einstein, or Harvard

That's great! Then you'll be golden! I recommend swapping out Baylor with a school that's friendlier to OOSers, like any of the four Manhattan Titans. Also consider having on the list Pitt, Vandy, Hopkins, Emory, Einstein, or Harvard
Sounds good, I’ll research all of those a little more deeply. Thanks for your help Goro!