MCAT question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stealth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having many different thoughts about the test and when to take it. I am a sophmore and was going to take it in august, study my ass off (im kind of neurotic already started studying...) and this way I have the option to take it again in april 2006 and this way I am complete early ratehr the later with the august. Only problem is I havent taken physics. I plan on just learning it on my own, since I have taken ap physics as well as general phyics just not in college. Any input would be great, and would love to hear from those who are thinking about doing the ame thing.

Members don't see this ad.

This question is always being asked- you should look for previous threads on the subject.

Anyhow, only plan on taking the MCAT once. Prep hard the first time after you have completed physics. Med schools don't look at scores the same way colleges look at SATs- if you do poorly the first time, they'll take that into account.

Take the MCAT in august if you really really feel you are ready for it after you have taken all the diagnostics and see that your scores are ok showing that you may be prepared for it.

If not, then I would wait to take it.

I think if you have taken physics in the past, it should come a bit easier to you.

I think Physics with calc is a little more useful even though people say otherwise

My reasoning behind that is that it is easier to understand where the formulas come from even if you are solving problems algabraically you can at least determine the formulas from integration/derivation.

You should ideally want to take it only once.

However, don't let the previous post let you think it is the end of the world if you take it a second time because if you do extremely well, some schools just look at the better of your scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stealth said:
I was having many different thoughts about the test and when to take it. I am a sophmore and was going to take it in august, study my ass off (im kind of neurotic already started studying...) and this way I have the option to take it again in april 2006 and this way I am complete early ratehr the later with the august. Only problem is I havent taken physics. I plan on just learning it on my own, since I have taken ap physics as well as general phyics just not in college. Any input would be great, and would love to hear from those who are thinking about doing the ame thing.

I advise against sitting for the MCAT until after you've completed ALL of the pre-requisite classes. If you won't be done with physics by August, wait until April of next year. The test is hard enough even when you're properly prepared. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go into it without truly giving it their 100% best effort! Sure, you can take it again if necessary, but you're much better off doing well on it the first time!

Stealth said:
You're studying 7 months in advance? And you haven't taken Physics? Just wait, take the courses, and take it next April. Sheesh.