MCAT registration question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Searched but did not find this specific topic addressed. I want to register for a May date before I meet with my advisor next week, but i wasn't sure what to answer about the "release scores" questions. My inclination is to NOT release to schools and DO release to pre-health advisor. Any thoughts please?

also, thought this was appropriate for pre-allo....

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that's what I'm unsure about. It just says they will be seen by all us accredited schools.....I just don't know anything about the procedure as this is one of the first things i'm doing and I don't want to make a mistake. The two options are 1) release to all schools and/or 2) release to pre-health advisor.....so maybe yes to both? does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Yes. Release them to both. You will only need to go back and do it later if you don't - so save yourself the hassle and do it now!

Note: If you apply, you HAVE to release all of your scores - whether you like them or not - and choosing not to release them (when you register) does not change this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I did not release my scores to a pre-health advisor- because I didn't use the (useless) one at my post-bacc school (no committee letter available and he doesn't teach any of the pre-reqs) and I'm 12 years removed from my undergrad institution. To my knowledge, this has not been a problem.

However, if you're actively involved with your pre-health advisor, I would think you'd want it released to him/her for purposes of tracking their applicants' progress over the years.

Honestly I think too much importance is attached to this question. People think this question means whether your scores will be sent to the schools you applied to. If you apply via AMCAS (and you have to), all of your scores will be sent to your chosen schools then. If you choose to release your scores when you register, all this does (I think) is allow schools to "recruit" applicants. I said yes, release, and I did particularly well. One month after the release of my scores, I started getting a bunch of mailers from top tier med schools (that I didn't have a shot at anyway.) I don't think there is any other effect. Please correct me.