MCAT Retake & Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mthncars

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wrote the MCAT on 1/18 and I got a devastating 490 and I am looking for some advice/guidance.

Background:
I am a graduating senior this semester and plan to apply this upcoming cycle.I used KAPLAN 7 book series and AAMC package for prep.

My overall score was quite shocking (except for CARS). I was averaging on all AAMC FL ~ 500-507. I'm not sure what happen, I felt confident in the material but I think I panicked during Test Day. My 2 questions I have are:
1.) How should I prepare differently for the retake? More questions/content review/FL's?
2.) Should I register for the 5/24 (score release: June 25) or 5/31 test day? (score release: July 2).

Thanks everyone for their input in advance. Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Slow down. You will need to take a second gap year IMO. You need to really study for the MCAT on nights and weekends, this upcoming year, while doing a job that you will enjoy and will give you additional insight and exposure to clinical medicine and volunteering a bit. And take the MCAT when you are ready, which might be a year from now!

You might want to be evaluated for pathologic test anxiety and if this is a problem, you will need to get strategies on how to manage that anxiety for test day.

For the rest of this semester, concentrate on keeping up your grades as you can not afford MCAT distractions that could further hurt your GPA. Your GPA is lowish, though it somewhat depends on where you go to college. But do a great job on your studies this semester and hopefully, pull up your GPA a little and show strong upward trend. Spend what little free time you have looking for great gap year opportunities that will give you time to do a great job on your retake.

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. I don't envy you taking 18 credits and worrying about the MCAT.

Since you've already given this one shot, have you thought about discussing your case with your school's pre-med advisor to see what they recommend? I remember my advisor being kinda meh, but if you're lucky enough to have one who cares and wants you to succeed, that would be super helpful.

I'll tell you this: I delayed my test, took a year off, and had some stressful things happen on test day. I developed test anxiety that continued into step 1. It's worthwhile addressing it now before you take a few more "life altering tests", which you will do in medical school.

You said you have 5 weeks to dedicate to studying. It's hard to say if that's too little or not, but it's doable depending on how well you already know the material. My advice, make a plan, stick with it, re-evalaute where you're at with practice tests, and be confident on test day knowing you've studied.

Last edited:
Slow down. You will need to take a second gap year IMO. You need to really study for the MCAT on nights and weekends, this upcoming year, while doing a job that you will enjoy and will give you additional insight and exposure to clinical medicine and volunteering a bit. And take the MCAT when you are ready, which might be a year from now!

You might want to be evaluated for pathologic test anxiety and if this is a problem, you will need to get strategies on how to manage that anxiety for test day.

For the rest of this semester, concentrate on keeping up your grades as you can not afford MCAT distractions that could further hurt your GPA. Your GPA is lowish, though it somewhat depends on where you go to college. But do a great job on your studies this semester and hopefully, pull up your GPA a little and show strong upward trend. Spend what little free time you have looking for great gap year opportunities that will give you time to do a great job on your retake.
This is golden advice

Status
Not open for further replies.