mcat retake end of august, too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prehealthworkhard

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my mcat august 2016 and got 491, my cGPA is 3.57 and sGPA is 3.44 (including math) i heard DO schools don't include math? so it might be different then since I got Bs in calc 1 and 2. I want to retake the mcat end of august, early september. My activities section is good. If i submit my primary in july is this too late for DO schools? I have started studying some of the content for the science sections. I am aiming for around 506.
 
Well your MCAT score is almost 2 years old. Hopefully you didn't lose too much of what you studied before. The DO application cycle is longer than MD so applying in August or September is fine. The cut-off for effectiveness is usually Thanksgiving. Most schools have rolling admissions so you have an advantage when applying earlier. Just make sure that you get your secondaries done promptly and you'll want to make sure you have a 5 at the beginning of your MCAT score. Good luck.
 
I was in a similar situation but instead, my LORs did not get through until mid-September and still heard from a good amount of programs
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my MCAT end of August like you are planning to, but started applying for DO schools after the new year & ended up receiving an interview & waitlist spot (for the moment). Probably not the norm but anything is possible, although my MCAT was 505+. Since you already have a score of 491 on file & the schools will look at both scores (& obviously reward upward trend), do your absolute best to kill the MCAT this time around & look appealing (bonus: you'll have a kickass story to tell when you're in med school with a first-time MCAT of 491 lol). All the best to you!
 
I have a retake scheduled for the end of July and I'm also debating pushing it out a bit for security; thanks for asking and thanks everyone else for the input. 🙂
 
Use Berkley Review for the MCAT this time. Most people I know who have used it have have gotten no lower than a 508.
 
Wondering if September is too late also... Currently pending June 2nd MCAT score release on July 3rd and just wondering my options if I have to retake
 
I took mine the last September date and recieved 15 IIs. Given I did score a 515. But please everyone, dont take the MCAT till you are absolutely sure you are ready.