MCAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if one were to take the MCAT more than once do med schools average the scores, or do they only look at the highest score?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Some schools average the scores. Some schools take only the highest score. Some schools take only the most recent score. My advice would be to call the individual schools you want to apply to and ask them.

QUESTION QUESTION:

I took the MCAT on May 1st and I think I bombed it.
I'm thinking of retaking it on July 30th (receive score back around August 30th) but fear that it will be TOO late (adcoms won't send me secondaries until my new score is in, will they?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few schools average/take highest in each section, majority take highest/most recent (i think it mentions it on their website)

QUESTION QUESTION:

I took the MCAT on May 1st and I think I bombed it.
I'm thinking of retaking it on July 30th (receive score back around August 30th) but fear that it will be TOO late (adcoms won't send me secondaries until my new score is in, will they?).

Some schools will send you secondaries while waiting on your new MCAT score and some won't. Occasionally a school will even decide they don't want to wait for your new score and reject you outright. It all depends.

It is very rare that an allopathic school would average your reported scores or pick and choose among the subsections to take the best ones. Though they will likely wait for your new score to make a decision on your file, be aware that they will still be able to see your old score and may consider you in light of your testing history.

agree with all above. just to add a couple of pennies, you should plan on improving significantly on the retake. you would not want to go down. do not blindly/hastily retake.

agree with all above. just to add a couple of pennies, you should plan on improving significantly on the retake. you would not want to go down. do not blindly/hastily retake.

And to add to this, I would also strongly caution about the risks of retaking and getting the same score or improving by only a point or so.