Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT retake?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 777, Nov 6, 2000.

1. 777

777 Member

I was wondering if one were to take the MCAT more than once do med schools average the scores, or do they only look at the highest score?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KMorris3

KMorris3 Senior Member

It depends on the school. Some schools average the scores. Some schools take only the highest score. Some schools take only the most recent score. My advice would be to call the individual schools you want to apply to and ask them.

4. Athens

QUESTION QUESTION:

I took the MCAT on May 1st and I think I bombed it.
    I'm thinking of retaking it on July 30th (receive score back around August 30th) but fear that it will be TOO late (adcoms won't send me secondaries until my new score is in, will they?).

5. alibai3ah

Pre-Medical
    Very few schools average/take highest in each section, majority take highest/most recent (i think it mentions it on their website)

6. saqrfaraj

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some schools will send you secondaries while waiting on your new MCAT score and some won't. Occasionally a school will even decide they don't want to wait for your new score and reject you outright. It all depends.

7. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus

It is very rare that an allopathic school would average your reported scores or pick and choose among the subsections to take the best ones. Though they will likely wait for your new score to make a decision on your file, be aware that they will still be able to see your old score and may consider you in light of your testing history.

8. witness23

Medical Student
    agree with all above. just to add a couple of pennies, you should plan on improving significantly on the retake. you would not want to go down. do not blindly/hastily retake.

9. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus

And to add to this, I would also strongly caution about the risks of retaking and getting the same score or improving by only a point or so.