MCAT review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this topic has been rehashed..

What are the best books out there for MCAT prepping? Are the review courses, such as those offered by Princeton Review, really that helpful? Also, would you suggest reviewing the book as you took the actual course in college? I'm an incoming college freshman this fall and was planning on getting a thorough MCAT review book and using it along with my classes as an additional resource. Is this a good idea? Which book(s) would be the most helpful for something like this? Also, are there any general books people have read that were helpful to their applying for med school, such as things med schools will look for, etc--sort of an overview of med school app book? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? i have no clue where to start or even to start looking for reviews. amazon doesn't have an extensive list of books or reviews..

W-

I give you my thoughts; others in this thread are going to flame you because you'll be able to find extensive discussion of this topic by looking through the other threads in this forum.

First, I used ExamKrackers Complete Study Package and ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis. I liked the breadth of the review, and that they were able to say "look, you don't need to know this for the MCAT", and they laid out MUST KNOW information on formulas to remember.

The Princeton Review and Kaplan are the other biggies that you'll hear about here. I also bought the big blue and green Kaplan complete review book. I liked that too - it seemed more formal and technical than EK, but I just liked the EK style better.

Some folks would quote me verbatim, some would say the exact opposite. Any one of the three will get the job done. Try the "Wanted/For sale" forum to get this stuff on the cheap.

Good luck.

dc

thanks, sorry, new user :)

So to sum what I found, get:

1. PR Flowers and Silver OR 1. Kaplan's-more go for Kaplan's--thorough review
2. Ek 101 - verbal
3. EK-entire set eventually for quick review
4. Nova-physics
5. a couple of aamc exams - are these realistic or not? I've heard both sides I guess

also, this i couldn't find on any of the sites-

are there any good "getting into med school" books? what medical schools look for etc...