MCAT score: Practice vs. Real Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foreigner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does a practice test score (and which one, ie Kaplan, AAMC,...) compare to your actual MCAT test score. I am trying to decide how much to rely on my practice scores, and I would appreciate any input on this matter.

THANKS! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Foreigner said:
How does a practice test score (and which one, ie Kaplan, AAMC,...) compare to your actual MCAT test score. I am trying to decide how much to rely on my practice scores, and I would appreciate any input on this matter.

THANKS! ;)

I had always heard that the Kaplan tests are harder and you generally score lower. But my last two practice tests were the same as my actual MCAT score.

I took two AAMC practice tests right before I took the MCAT last april. On the practice tests I got a 28, and then a 29. Also, both times I was very close to scoring a few points higher if I only had answered two more questions right.
On the real thing I got a 27. I was pretty disappointed with that.

The tests show your progress, but you never know what you'll get asked when it really counts!

Members don't see this ad :)
kenmc3 said:
I had always heard that the Kaplan tests are harder and you generally score lower. But my last two practice tests were the same as my actual MCAT score.

Yeah, I had one point higher on my real exam; but my numers were all screwy. PS was always my highest, and VR my lowest. That switched, annoyingly.

I scored 3 points higher than my average Kaplan score. I think it's pretty common.

crazy_cavalier said:
You will undoubtedly be interested in this thread:
"Practice Tests vs. Real MCAT Scores for April '04"
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=128666

Seems most people typically go up 3 or 4 points from the Kaplan tests!! Hopefully we will experience this trend :luck:

I almost put the same title :) Thanks for the info.

Good luck!

My score went down 3 points. from 38 at kaplan to a 35 on the real thing

Down from a 31 on a Kaplan-administered practice test to a 28 on the real thing. Kaplan and AAMC exams I took at home were putting me at 29/30. Boo on practice tests.

AAMC 5 and 6 put me at a 33. It was the same with my PR practice tests leading up to the test date. A kaplan test put me at like a 32. I got a 30 on the real thing.. booo

38, 39, 40 on practices

35 on the real thing. for the first time in my life while taking a test i was pretty flustered, though, which certainly contributed.

I'm going to work for Kaplan, so maybe I shouldn't say this, but: Kaplan practice tests are not a 100% facsimile of the real thing. Kaplan slightly de-emphasizes factual knowledge on the science portions, IMO, when in reality factual knowledge is all that matters on the discrete, non-passage questions, and factual knowledge is critical on many of the passage questions as well. They start off in the big book by decrying the belief that "The MCAT is a test of science knowledge" as a myth when in fact, hard knowledge is fundamental to doing well in 2 of the 3 main sections. Reasoning is king only on the verbal section. If you're better with factual knowledge, Kaplan exams will understate your score.

I highly recommend the "real" practice exams from the official AAMC MCAT site. Yes, they are ridiculously expensive but well worth the price. I did the deal for 3 exams for $80. That plus the freebie meant 4 exams. I used #3 as a pre-test, #4 to help hone my review strategies, #5 a couple weeks before and #6 as a dry-run a couple days before the real thing. Look up all your missed answers from your books, and for the science sections identify which were the result of faulty reasoning and which were the result from not knowing the material.

FWIW, I bombed my first two practice exams, scoring ~24 on each. Then I just decided, hey, screw being intimidated by this thing. I'm going to see it as an opportunity... a way to show the admissions committees just how much I should be a doctor. The Kaplan approach is right on this key point: An aggressive attitude toward the test is the most important thing you need to beat it. Confidence is 90% of how well you do. Sort of like on a first date ;)

I know so many people who get nothing but A's on classroom exams, but bomb standardized tests such as the SAT, MCAT or LSAT. The only reason is that they let themselves get intimidated.

both times i took the MCAT my score was VERY close to the practice tests, +1 or -1 point. i think if you were consistant on your practices you can count on getting about the same score on the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreigner said:

THANKS! ;)

lets see, practice tests 35-39

real test, 32. both times. i flip flopped scores between the two.

Kaplan tests: 31-32
Real thing: 28
:mad:

Kaplan 35-41, real thing 39... but they are different in some ways, especially the emphasis on PS which on Kaplan is just skipping the ones you don't know and making sure you can get like 50 of them right, but on the AAMC and real thing the questions are easier and you need to get more right. Passages on the Kaplan ones also tend to be longer in length and more compicated I think.

ranged from 29 - 33 on AAMC practice tests (33 on 7R, scores increased from 29 each test or stayed same). Real thing = 31. So the average score. But, my friend that I studied with, we each had within 1 point of eachother on every practice tests we took, studied same stuff, etc. So, he had a similar range of like 30-34 and he got a 38 on real thing. Just goes to show how a good form can really help out.

Practice tests: steadily increased over 1 1/2 months from 27 to 33 an old AAMC test from just 2 years ago. Real thing: 27.

I ranged from 26-30 on the practice tests - real thing was 26

i took princeton review. First tests from princeton 22-25, last practice from AAMC a 28, then on the real thing a 6 point move to a 34.

kaplan, practice range 25-28, MCAT - 30, no aamc's

31-34 on practice tests. 37 on real test. Found real test to be easier than practices

rugirlie said:
AAMC 5 and 6 put me at a 33. It was the same with my PR practice tests leading up to the test date. A kaplan test put me at like a 32. I got a 30 on the real thing.. booo

Hey hey rugirlie. How are you? I am wondering how you like UPenn, from your visits and other time there? It is my first choice (I am not applying until next year), so any info. would be greatly appreciated!!

Princeton Review and AAMC exams

Actual Exam

I'm not exactly sure what all of practice exam scores were, but I believe It went some thing like:
AAMC5,6,7: 30, 32, 35

real mcat: 27!!! (im still a bitter)

i think AAMC test 4, 5, and 6R are good indicators of what you'd get on the real exam, while 3R gives you inflated scores.

I scored 1 point higher on my PS section on the real exam compared to the 5 and 6R (but when i was doing the practice, i was only one question off from getting the higher score anyway).

I think Princeton Review tests are really hard. I never did well on those. bleh.. :confused: but their study materials are quite good. i like'em. :thumbup:

one 29, 1 30's and 2 31s on 5 practices...30 on real thing; one point higher in bio than usual, one point lower in physical and about average performance on verbal. aamc 4-7 are great indicators as mentioned, aamc 3 is much too easy.

premyo, that SUCKS...did you retake? poor thing.

Thanks for all the comments :) I guess there are no real trends, but even at the very worst, it's only a couple (more liek 2-3) points down (not like 5 or 6).

:eek:

27-29s on the practice, 32Q on the real thing... of course i've seen vice versa as well.