Real life Doogie Howser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
what happened to him/her?
We offered (made them take) a PhD first. That slowed them down two years. They spent the entire time in medical school being picked up before and after class by their parents, with no real friends, eating lunch alone... Can you imagine taking a social/sexual hx at 14? Can you imagine the isolation of being a medical student this young, without regard to your facility with the content? Ultimately they became a pediatrician. In retrospect, I'm sure they would consider this behavior a form of child abuse. Luckily, they haven't sued us.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
We offered (made them take) a PhD. That slowed them down two years. They spent the entire time in medical school being picked up before and after class by their parents, with no real friends, eating lunch alone... Can you imagine taking a social/sexual hx at 14? Can you imagine the isolation of being a medical student this young, without regard to your facility with the content? Ultimately they became a pediatrician. In retrospect, I'm sure they would consider this behavior a form of child abuse. Luckily, they haven't sued us.

I don't see a problem.

We offered (made them take) a PhD. That slowed them down two years. They spent the entire time in medical school being picked up before and after class by their parents, with no real friends, eating lunch alone... Can you imagine taking a social/sexual hx at 14? Can you imagine the isolation of being a medical student this young, without regard to your facility with the content? Ultimately they became a pediatrician. In retrospect, I'm sure they would consider this behavior a form of child abuse. Luckily, they haven't sued us.

The biggest thing for the school would be do they have the maturity to handle what goes on in the wards? Obviously, if they are genius they can handle the work but some of the softer skills come into the play and just overall life experience.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest thing for the school would be do they have the maturity to handle what goes on in the wards? Obviously, if they are genius they can handle the work but some of the softer skills come into the play and just overall life experience.
It's not just the kid.
Show me a test for this level of maturity. ...and what about the patients?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Reactions: 6 users
Still sounds terrible. I hated doing AP classes when I was 15 so I can't imagine doing medical school at 15.
I would worry about her being able to get clinical experience given her age. But I am going to presume UAB med will do whatever it can to make sure she doesn't stumble.

I am going to presume UAB med will do whatever it can to make sure she doesn't stumble.
They can do everything possible (we did). Some things just cannot be accomodated given the nature of human development. Ask any pediatrician.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
It's not just the kid. What about the patients?
Show me a test for this level of maturity.

I’m sure patients will love being interviewed by someone old enough to be their grand child. Wonderful.

Also what happens if she gets sued? How do you sue a 15 year old? Will anybody insure her?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Super Impressive for her age. I feel like a 100% online undergraduate degree at a religious private school in a EAP program with a fairly low MCAT requirement (495) is a recipe for disaster though.

I wish her the best though, that is quite the accomplishment.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Sho Yano started medical school @ 13 y.o.

Let's think about detailing to a 14 year old that in taking a medical history you'll need to ask people in their 20s and 30s if they have sex with men, women or both. Ask, "Do you have oral, vaginal, or anal contact? Do you use condoms or dental dams? Do you have a history of x, y and z." Let's explain to a 15 year old that you'll need to use gloves and lube to make a rectal exam of a male patient or a trans female patient to examine the prostate gland and you'll be doing similar internal examinations of patients born female to examine vagina, cervix, uterus and ovaries.

It is one thing to study "science" and it is another to introduce topics related to sexual intimacy to a minor child. (Maybe I'm old fashioned and this is all taught in the 5th grade but for home schooled kids, I rather doubt it.)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Sho Yano started medical school @ 13 y.o.
And where is he now? A purple unicorn who graduated with a MD/PhD 10 years ago at age 21 doesn't seem to have set the world on fire since, based on a very quick Google search.

He's got his own Wikipedia page, with no information after 2012. Maybe the adcoms are right about giving people a chance to mature before throwing them into the deep end?

And where is he now? A purple unicorn who graduated with a MD/PhD 10 years ago at age 21 doesn't seem to have set the world on fire since, based on a very quick Google search.

He's got his own Wikipedia page, with no information after 2012. Maybe the adcoms are right about giving people a chance to mature before throwing them into the deep end?
Sho Yano is a physician-scientist studying genetic disorders of ion transport at the National Institutes of Health. His clinical and research efforts are particularly focused on disorders of the sodium-potassium ATPase (ATP1-genes) such as ATP1A3-alternating hemiplegia of childhood. He is using a combination of electrophysiological, cellular, and animal experimental systems to better understand the molecular pathogenesis of alternating hemiplegia of childhood. He is also performing research functional studies on variants in ATP1A1 and ATP1A4.

Dr. Yano completed an MD/PhD and child neurology residency at the University of Chicago, followed by medical genetics residency at the National Institutes of Health/Johns Hopkins consortium program. He is board certified in pediatrics, child neurology, and medical genetics.

Reactions: 5 users
Sho Yano is a physician-scientist studying genetic disorders of ion transport at the National Institutes of Health. His clinical and research efforts are particularly focused on disorders of the sodium-potassium ATPase (ATP1-genes) such as ATP1A3-alternating hemiplegia of childhood. He is using a combination of electrophysiological, cellular, and animal experimental systems to better understand the molecular pathogenesis of alternating hemiplegia of childhood. He is also performing research functional studies on variants in ATP1A1 and ATP1A4.

Dr. Yano completed an MD/PhD and child neurology residency at the University of Chicago, followed by medical genetics residency at the National Institutes of Health/Johns Hopkins consortium program. He is board certified in pediatrics, child neurology, and medical genetics.
I guess this explains why he has no patient ratings on healthgrades.com! :)

I take back what I said about him not setting the world on fire! Pretty darn impressive for a 31 year old!!!!!!