MCAT + Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubberToe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I put off working on my secondaries until after the August MCAT? Thanks in advance for the advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

docbyxmas said:
Should I put off working on my secondaries until after the August MCAT? Thanks in advance for the advice :)

No, why should you? Just fill your first one out and save all of your answers so that you don't have to keep writing new stuff. Just taylor your answers to each school. It is extremely important to get your application in as soon as possible. The MCAT and GPA requirements to get an interview increase as the year goes on.

If you are a first time MCAT taker then just keep studying for the MCAT. You will not be able to get interviews until they get your score. This is what I did last year. Don't slack off on it once the MCAT is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about it you are retaking the MCAT? Can you still get interviews based on your first score or will the schools wait until they get the second score?

docbyxmas said:

You should send the secondary in soon. No real advantage in waiting till your MCAT scores come out.

dr.z said:
You should send the secondary in soon. No real advantage in waiting till your MCAT scores come out.

That is definetly the general consensus here, and I generally agree.

However, it should be noted that MOST (not all) schools dont consider your application at all until its complete--your application just kinda gets filed in a group of applications to be reviewed pending receipt of a valid MCAT score, so that raises a possible issue:

If you already sent your application in and you bomb the MCAT, you are pretty much out of all the money you spent as opposed to saving the money, studying and taking the MCAT in computer format in the early part of next year and apply with a good (or relatively better) score.

I just wanted to bring to light POSSIBLE issues that could arise from an application sent in with no MCAT score.