MCAT stamina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting very drowsy during the start of the Biochem/Biological section. This occurs during full length exams as well as when I took the actual test in January.

I've found keeping break meals extremely light and stuff like just resting my eyes helps.

I've tried caffeine and chocolate but the sugar crash during soci/psych does not feel worth it.

Was there anything yall did to stay alert during breaks? What is your morning routine like on test day?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep getting very drowsy during the start of the Biochem/Biological section. This occurs during full length exams as well as when I took the actual test in January.

I've found keeping break meals extremely light and stuff like just resting my eyes helps.

I've tried caffeine and chocolate but the sugar crash during soci/psych does not feel worth it.

Was there anything yall did to stay alert during breaks? What is your morning routine like on test day?
You shouldn't get a sugar crash from coffee, right? Maybe try espresso, and take another shot during the 10 minute break between B/B and P/S

Reactions: 2 users

this might sound bad, but I bring 3 kickstarts for drinking during practice exams. I drink one right before, and then during all the breaks except for the last.

Members don't see this ad :)
I brought caffeine pills, took 100mg or 200mg at each break.

Reactions: 1 users
You shouldn't get a sugar crash from coffee, right? Maybe try espresso, and take another shot during the 10 minute break between B/B and P/S

Not unless he loads his coffee with sugar or is drinking a packaged 'coffee' drink.

I've heard of people taking caffeine pills, it works for some people but I've never liked them. Perhaps it's just me but I don't like the idea of taking caffeine in pill form, would much rather intake it via espresso or energy shot/drink.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the MCAT is intense, long, and I have not sat through it yet. But do people really use several hundred mg throughout the test? That seems excessive. Any time I drink that much caffeine it becomes hard to slow down and think clearly.

I woke up at 12 am and spent the next seven hours eating cheesecake, drinking orange juice, and trying to calm my anxiety by listening to other people's problems online. Then I got on the bus for my test.

I'm kind of used to not having a healthy sleep schedule and staring at computer screens for hours on end. I think the best way to prepare is to do whatever you want the day before.

I know the MCAT is intense, long, and I have not sat through it yet. But do people really use several hundred mg throughout the test? That seems excessive. Any time I drink that much caffeine it becomes hard to slow down and think clearly.

Tolerance, man. Add that to caffeine's widely varying effects from person to person and I think it's quite understandable.

I woke up at 12 am and spent the next seven hours eating cheesecake, drinking orange juice, and trying to calm my anxiety by listening to other people's problems online. Then I got on the bus for my test.

I'm kind of used to not having a healthy sleep schedule and staring at computer screens for hours on end. I think the best way to prepare is to do whatever you want the day before.

This made me chuckle...in a good way.

First time I took it, I could barely sleep. Took a bike ride at 6am around campus before packing my meals and heading out to the testing center.

Completely understand how you could be used to your unusual sleeping schedule.

This made me chuckle...in a good way.

First time I took it, I could barely sleep. Took a bike ride at 6am around campus before packing my meals and heading out to the testing center.

Completely understand how you could be used to your unusual sleeping schedule.

I tried really hard to sleep, but I'm someone who sleeps like 4-5 hours on average. I went to sleep at 9 pm and woke up at 12 am, and couldn't fall asleep again because of anxiety. I always get anxiety before tests, but it goes away as soon as I actually begin my test.

Before I took mine, I conditioned myself to sleep for exactly 18 mins during the 30 mins break. I also found it impossible to remain focused throughout the psyc section. I decided it was better to give myself an unofficial break and do well, than to struggle the entire time and feel even more anxious about my performance. If everything, if all fails, take a break during the actual test, splash some water on you face and listen to a mental recording of Shia LaBeouf screaming DO IT!! JUST DO IT!! DO IT!!

I've heard of people taking caffeine pills, it works for some people but I've never liked them. Perhaps it's just me but I don't like the idea of taking caffeine in pill form, would much rather intake it via espresso or energy shot/drink.

Sadly, my bladder is the size of a walnut...

100mg is about the amount in 8oz of coffee - it's actually not all that much in the grand scheme. Nice thing about caffeine in pill form is that you can control exactly how much you take in, and know what effect you'll get from a given amount.

You're the first person I've heard who pops caffeine pills.

I didn't even know those existed.

I'm a huge fan! I started by keeping them in my car in case of sleepiness while driving. Now I use them a couple times per week on average. Way cheaper and more convenient than energy drinks or coffee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried really hard to sleep, but I'm someone who sleeps like 4-5 hours on average. I went to sleep at 9 pm and woke up at 12 am, and couldn't fall asleep again because of anxiety. I always get anxiety before tests, but it goes away as soon as I actually begin my test.

I also have test anxiety issues.

Sounds self-deprecating but whenever it gets bad, I just think to myself "Hey if I **** this up....I can go back to school and make another career out of building racecars or watching anime or some****"

Once you hit rock bottom....no where to go but up.

I also have test anxiety issues.

Sounds self-deprecating but whenever it gets bad, I just think to myself "Hey if I **** this up....I can go back to school and make another career out of building racecars or watching anime or some****"

Once you hit rock bottom....no where to go but up.

Interesting you say that. I often tell myself that the worst thing that can happen is that I die, and that's not all that bad either. So win-win situation no matter what I do.

Well you said 1-200 mg between breaks. And I know there are multiple breaks so I was imagining 5-600 mg or something like that.

I've tweaked with caffeine quite a bit and feel like 40-50mg gets me functioning optimally for tests. If I drink a large coffee or redbull sometimes I start moving too quickly making stupid mistakes that I otherwise never would. Too much stimulation.

For staying awake it's another story though...typically I drink about 300mg/day.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I did successfully:

1. Build up your stamina. The MCAT is a marathon. At first, I studied content in 45-minute chunks followed by a 10 minute break (no computer/cell phone) where I would walk my dog, do some yoga, or 20 push-ups and a few jumping jacks. Additionally, I did not study a single content subject for an entire day. On the MCAT, you're hit with 1.5 h blocks of Chem -> CARS -> Bio -> Psych. To prepare myself (and to keep myself engaged), my daily blocks of studying were scheduled in the same manner (45 min Chem. Break. 45 min CARS. Break. 45 min Bio. Break. 45 min Psych. Repeat.). By the end of my three months, my blocks of studying were 1.5 h long each. Voila! I was studying the content and preparing for exam conditions simultaneously.

2. Meditate. Learn to control your mind. It is a very useful practice that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. When a proctor stopped me to ask about my torn sheet of paper and took up 2 min of time of my Bio section, I could have been angry and distracted for the rest of the test. Instead, I paused and took 5 deep, deep breaths. Meditation and mindfulness practices will help you stay focused better than any red-bull or caffeine pill (and if you have coffee, it's a diuretic. See point #3).

3. Eat healthily & drink little. I went out and treated myself to a delicious, carbohydrate-rich meal the night before but avoided water starting at around 7 pm the day before the exam. I peed it all out the next morning. Had no 'bathroom troubles'. For lunch and for snacks, I had healthy and delicious foods: all-natural protein bar, dark chocolate (real dark chocolate... not the 50% garbage... almost no sugar), almonds, a banana, and a walnut salad. I brought a ton of food because I know I get headaches and my brain turns foggy if I am hungry. I also recommend to snack on a bit of something during every break.

4. Sleep. Sleep. SLEEP. A good night's sleep is the most important thing to have the night before the MCAT. Throw away points #1-3 if you must, but listen to me when I say again that having a good night's rest not only the night before your exam but also the entire week prior is incredibly important. To start, a month before the exam, I started going to bed at 10 pm sharp and waking up at 6 am every morning. 8 hours of sleep every night.

The night before the exam, I brought three things with my to the hotel room: earplugs (which you should bring to your exam anyway), melatonin, and NyQuil (Benadryl would work too). I was so anxious the night before like everyone else... I couldn't sleep. I took 2 tbsp. of 'the quil' and 5 mg of melatonin. Before bed, I did a 20 min guided meditation, and (surprise, surprise) I was out like a light within the hour. Anyone who tells you that you're going to be 'groggy' the next day is peddling fiction. If you get a full night's rest, the effects of NyQuil are going to be completely gone the next morning. For all you premeds out there, if you do not sleep the night before the MCAT, you're not going to do well (or not as well as you could do).

Reactions: 5 users

Are you retaking the test again to apply this cycle? Do you feel like the drowsiness contributed to a lower score?

I get yelled at whenever I tell people this but I knew when I was practicing the test that I would have a hard time sleeping before the test, and I would maybe have trouble concentrating. So what I did is only took half of the 30 minute lunch break and napped for the other 15 minutes. You just have to be careful that you don't completely fall asleep and sleep through the rest of the test lol. My mind was kind of foggy after CARS but felt really clear after the nap. I also finished bio a little early and napped for 10 minutes before the break and 5 minutes during the break. It worked for me but everybody's always like nooo when I tell them lol

I did a practice test once every week for the 6 weeks leading up to it, and every time treated it like it was the real thing. Getting to bed early/up at the time I would need to, having food ready, everything. It really helped me iron out the things that helped keep me awake vs. the things that made me tired.

For example, eating anything too heavy for lunch made me drowsy so I stuck more to high energy snacks. I also had coffee before and iced tea + apple in the middle, but I'm also a caffeine addict and don't crash :) I also need to stay hydrated, otherwise I get distracted. Getting on a regular sleep schedule also did wonders, and I figured out some relaxation techniques to do during breaks and even in the middle of the test when I got stressed.

Bottom line: pay attention to what does and doesn't work for you

I'll tell you what I did successfully:

1. Build up your stamina. The MCAT is a marathon. At first, I studied content in 45-minute chunks followed by a 10 minute break (no computer/cell phone) where I would walk my dog, do some yoga, or 20 push-ups and a few jumping jacks. Additionally, I did not study a single content subject for an entire day. On the MCAT, you're hit with 1.5 h blocks of Chem -> CARS -> Bio -> Psych. To prepare myself (and to keep myself engaged), my daily blocks of studying were scheduled in the same manner (45 min Chem. Break. 45 min CARS. Break. 45 min Bio. Break. 45 min Psych. Repeat.). By the end of my three months, my blocks of studying were 1.5 h long each. Voila! I was studying the content and preparing for exam conditions simultaneously.

2. Meditate. Learn to control your mind. It is a very useful practice that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. When a proctor stopped me to ask about my torn sheet of paper and took up 2 min of time of my Bio section, I could have been angry and distracted for the rest of the test. Instead, I paused and took 5 deep, deep breaths. Meditation and mindfulness practices will help you stay focused better than any red-bull or caffeine pill (and if you have coffee, it's a diuretic. See point #3).

3. Eat healthily & drink little. I went out and treated myself to a delicious, carbohydrate-rich meal the night before but avoided water starting at around 7 pm the day before the exam. I peed it all out the next morning. Had no 'bathroom troubles'. For lunch and for snacks, I had healthy and delicious foods: all-natural protein bar, dark chocolate (real dark chocolate... not the 50% garbage... almost no sugar), almonds, a banana, and a walnut salad. I brought a ton of food because I know I get headaches and my brain turns foggy if I am hungry. I also recommend to snack on a bit of something during every break.

4. Sleep. Sleep. SLEEP. A good night's sleep is the most important thing to have the night before the MCAT. Throw away points #1-3 if you must, but listen to me when I say again that having a good night's rest not only the night before your exam but also the entire week prior is incredibly important. To start, a month before the exam, I started going to bed at 10 pm sharp and waking up at 6 am every morning. 8 hours of sleep every night.

The night before the exam, I brought three things with my to the hotel room: earplugs (which you should bring to your exam anyway), melatonin, and NyQuil (Benadryl would work too). I was so anxious the night before like everyone else... I couldn't sleep. I took 2 tbsp. of 'the quil' and 5 mg of melatonin. Before bed, I did a 20 min guided meditation, and (surprise, surprise) I was out like a light within the hour. Anyone who tells you that you're going to be 'groggy' the next day is peddling fiction. If you get a full night's rest, the effects of NyQuil are going to be completely gone the next morning. For all you premeds out there, if you do not sleep the night before the MCAT, you're not going to do well (or not as well as you could do).

Numbers 1-3 are all solid that I currently do. I'm glad you mention meditation because not a lot of people consider it seriously.

I eat very healthy and hit the gym often so diet wise I've been on track. Lean protein, veggies, carb after a long cardio session (I bike as well as run a lot). I also did the water thing you do, and that was out of personal comfort more than anything.

The melatonin tablets seem to be a very good investment. Didn't even think of taking anything for sleeping aid. I'm also packing headphones this time. I've found having them in makes me concentrate more. May be a habit thing (usually have them in when I'm studying and working out) or lets my inner dialogue heard a little louder.

I was never a morning person so it didn't matter how much I slept before the exam, I would still feel very tired by morning time. So during breaks and lunch time, I just paced around to keep the blood moving and brain thinking. It's definitely really hard but I wouldn't start taking caffeine pills during MCAT day if you haven't done it before. In fact, I wouldn't do anything for the first time on MCAT day.

Are you retaking the test again to apply this cycle? Do you feel like the drowsiness contributed to a lower score?

The January one I took was failure on my part to focus on content and study long enough. Bluntly put, I was ill-prepared. I had the stamina (was taking 2 practice tests a week and had no trouble sitting down for that long) but the content review was what was getting to me.

I was also working and schooling at the same time. Putting in the hours to review content played a primary role more so than drowsiness.

Walking out of the testing center knowing I would score where I eventually scored was not a good feeling.

Now that I've got the content locked down, I'm trying to address other issues that are popping up while I'm studying/taking practice exams.

I did a practice test once every week for the 6 weeks leading up to it, and every time treated it like it was the real thing. Getting to bed early/up at the time I would need to, having food ready, everything. It really helped me iron out the things that helped keep me awake vs. the things that made me tired.

For example, eating anything too heavy for lunch made me drowsy so I stuck more to high energy snacks. I also had coffee before and iced tea + apple in the middle, but I'm also a caffeine addict and don't crash :) I also need to stay hydrated, otherwise I get distracted. Getting on a regular sleep schedule also did wonders, and I figured out some relaxation techniques to do during breaks and even in the middle of the test when I got stressed.

Bottom line: pay attention to what does and doesn't work for you

Very helpful.

I had to decrease heavy carb foods for the past few months when I realized they were getting in the way of studying.

I'd sit there staring at the screen like a beached seal without anything actually going through my head.

Before I took mine, I conditioned myself to sleep for exactly 18 mins during the 30 mins break. I also found it impossible to remain focused throughout the psyc section. I decided it was better to give myself an unofficial break and do well, than to struggle the entire time and feel even more anxious about my performance. If everything, if all fails, take a break during the actual test, splash some water on you face and listen to a mental recording of Shia LaBeouf screaming DO IT!! JUST DO IT!! DO IT!!

Beat me to it! I did the same thing but I didn't have the foresight to plan beforehand and condition myself to sleep for a certain amount of time

I get yelled at whenever I tell people this but I knew when I was practicing the test that I would have a hard time sleeping before the test, and I would maybe have trouble concentrating. So what I did is only took half of the 30 minute lunch break and napped for the other 15 minutes. You just have to be careful that you don't completely fall asleep and sleep through the rest of the test lol. My mind was kind of foggy after CARS but felt really clear after the nap. I also finished bio a little early and napped for 10 minutes before the break and 5 minutes during the break. It worked for me but everybody's always like nooo when I tell them lol

I too am guilty of napping when I finish early.

During the 30min break, all I wanted to do was lay down for a few.

Was too paranoid of going over time to do it and didn't bring a watch or anything to keep track of time.

The January one I took was failure on my part to focus on content and study long enough. Bluntly put, I was ill-prepared. I had the stamina (was taking 2 practice tests a week and had no trouble sitting down for that long) but the content review was what was getting to me.

I was also working and schooling at the same time. Putting in the hours to review content played a primary role more so than drowsiness.

Walking out of the testing center knowing I would score where I eventually scored was not a good feeling.

Now that I've got the content locked down, I'm trying to address other issues that are popping up while I'm studying/taking practice exams.

I see…so you are applying this cycle? When are you re-taking your test?

Am very seriously considering a short "nap" during the breaks.

If anything, I've found having the focus to stay awake and alert has helped me score higher than reviewing content right now.

A lot of the questions I missed was simply because I couldn't stay alert enough to get the whole gist of the text they give us on the Bio section.

I see…so you are applying this cycle? When are you re-taking your test?

Yes, I'm applying as soon as AACPM opens in August.

My test is scheduled June 18th. This upcoming Saturday.

I've been in cruise control mode this past week, mostly reviewing and doing blocks of sections for 1.5 hrs.

Yes, I'm applying as soon as AACPM opens in August.

My test is scheduled June 18th. This upcoming Saturday.

I've been in cruise control mode this past week, mostly reviewing and doing blocks of sections for 1.5 hrs.

Oh, alright. I thought you were applying to MD schools lol

Though otherwise fit and healthy, my genetics screwed me with pre-diabetes, so I have to be extremely careful with my meals to avoid post-meal fatigue. I think I could offer some insight here.

My routine for all practice tests & real MCAT was the following:

Breakfast: ~630am I ate a PB&J sandwich (whole grain bread), one packet of Banana Nut Protein oatmeal by Quaker, 1/2 a small bottle of Powerade (too poor for Gatorade, lolz), and one small sip of 5 Hour Energy (like 1/5 of the bottle, barely anything). I did several minutes of stretching here too.

Lunch Break: I ate another PB&J sandwich (whole grain bread and very lightly spread jelly to avoid excess sugar), a few sips of Powerade (just enough so I'm not thirsty so I can avoid that polyurea), and another small sip of that 5 Hour Energy. Again, I made sure to stretch out during lunch break too.

This always worked golden for me and helped me avoid excess fatigue through 6 simulated practice tests and my real MCAT with one small mishap on test day...

I was feeling super exhausted during lunch break and drank like a 1/3 sip of 5 Hour Energy instead of my normal 1/5 I'd always practiced with. HUGE MISTAKE. My right hand was vibrating and heart palpatating through the first 30 minutes of B/B. I had to clasp my right forearm with my left hand just to steady and be able to click my answers.

Make sure you find a routine that works for you and stick to it. Everyone's different, so obviously YRMV.

Hopefully you can take something away from my experience. If anything, it's to never underestimate the effects of adrenaline and caffeine ;)

The week leading up to the exam I tried to train myself to go to bed earlier and earlier, and that worked...sort of. I used melatonin the night before the exam, because I react badly to NyQuil (even a half dose puts me out for easily 14 hours), and I wanted no chance of me sleeping through my alarm.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't drink any on exam day. I had a glass of water with breakfast, but that was it for fluids until the first break. I didn't pay attention to what I had for breakfast--I knew not to go sugar-heavy, but I think I had a breakfast sandwich and half a banana? I was limited to what my hotel's free breakfast offered since I couldn't afford to buy breakfast after shelling out for the hotel...

1st break: A few sips of gatorade
2nd break: More gatorade, a little water, carrots and some cheese-and-herb dip, some trail mix (dried cranberries, almonds, cashews) and a few dark chocolate-covered espresso beans.
3rd break: A little bit more water, some more espresso beans

I was having the same problem with falling asleep/dozing off during bio/biochem on my practice tests but I did not have that problem on test day. Nerves helped a little, too.

EDIT: I knew my nerves would be in full gear during the exam so I purposefully wore some jewelry I could fidget with. I always wear a ring, which was easy to fiddle with and didn't cause any concern with Prometric staff. Just a way to dissipate some of those extra nerves/that extra caffeine jolt.

Everyone's test strategy is a little different.

Over the years of major computer based tests, I've settled on "drink so much coffee that I almost die, go into battle-trance, only take breaks for drinking more coffee and urinating it out again if absolutely needed".

It does wonders for the length of the test, but perhaps not so much for healthy heart rates. I probably can't recommend it to anyone.

Am very seriously considering a short "nap" during the breaks.

If anything, I've found having the focus to stay awake and alert has helped me score higher than reviewing content right now.

A lot of the questions I missed was simply because I couldn't stay alert enough to get the whole gist of the text they give us on the Bio section.
You should if it's that bad. Even if you don't want to leave the room, close your eyes and take deep calming breathes. Good luck, I hope you exceed your goal!

Beat me to it! I did the same thing but I didn't have the foresight to plan beforehand and condition myself to sleep for a certain amount of time
I learned by eating a potato and sleeping through songs for exactly 18 mins. My mom thought I was going crazy

Part of it is practice. On test day, energy is a lot higher. I drank a fruit and veggie smoothie during lunch along with a iron/protein heavy salad and a chocolate for some sugar. I drank water and ate almonds every break while walking a lap around the testing center trying to keep my head as empty as possible.

I was feeling super exhausted during lunch break and drank like a 1/3 sip of 5 Hour Energy instead of my normal 1/5 I'd always practiced with. HUGE MISTAKE. My right hand was vibrating and heart palpatating through the first 30 minutes of B/B. I had to clasp my right forearm with my left hand just to steady and be able to click my answers.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh out loud. Mostly at the thought of a proctor watching you fight a rogue arm while attempting the MCAT lol.

I guess one's level of anxiety plays a role, here. I drank coffee the morning of, then just had some juice and a footlong from subway for lunch. I was surprisingly chill the whole time. Sat outside under a tree and ate my lunch, calmly finished my exam with tons of time left and drove 1.5 hrs home.

From my experience -- FL practice exams. Lots of them. Don't worry so much about the timing bollocks. Work steadily and calmly during your practice tests so you'll be steady and calm during the real thing. Build that stamina. Get used to it. Maybe you won't have to hype up on so much caffeine, then ;)

I don't really drink coffee or caffeine. Just got a good nights sleep and did it. I think having 3-4 hour long tests for most science classes in college helped a bunch with stamina. By the end of it I felt like I could do another couple sections if I had to, since a lot of it wasn't super difficult calculations (which slow me down), just logical thinking and applied knowledge

I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but for lunch I had jimmy john's and a cookie, it was delicious. Looking around it seems like I was the only one that brought real food - which I recommend doing.

Though otherwise fit and healthy, my genetics screwed me with pre-diabetes, so I have to be extremely careful with my meals to avoid post-meal fatigue. I think I could offer some insight here.

My routine for all practice tests & real MCAT was the following:

Breakfast: ~630am I ate a PB&J sandwich (whole grain bread), one packet of Banana Nut Protein oatmeal by Quaker, 1/2 a small bottle of Powerade (too poor for Gatorade, lolz), and one small sip of 5 Hour Energy (like 1/5 of the bottle, barely anything). I did several minutes of stretching here too.

Lunch Break: I ate another PB&J sandwich (whole grain bread and very lightly spread jelly to avoid excess sugar), a few sips of Powerade (just enough so I'm not thirsty so I can avoid that polyurea), and another small sip of that 5 Hour Energy. Again, I made sure to stretch out during lunch break too.

This always worked golden for me and helped me avoid excess fatigue through 6 simulated practice tests and my real MCAT with one small mishap on test day...

Make sure you find a routine that works for you and stick to it. Everyone's different, so obviously YRMV.

Hopefully you can take something away from my experience. If anything, it's to never underestimate the effects of adrenaline and caffeine ;)

I'm a big fan PBJ sandwiches. I pack these regularly during work/school and it worked very well during test day/studying. Its enough to keep me not hungry but a lot lighter than meals I actually prefer to eat.

As for Powerade- completely understand. Broke grad student here. More inclined to water so drinks aren't much of an issue.

What I've gotten from your post and others is that a small amount of caffeine is sufficient. I might start trying that.

I find after a cup of coffee, my legs can't stay still.

The week leading up to the exam I tried to train myself to go to bed earlier and earlier, and that worked...sort of. I used melatonin the night before the exam, because I react badly to NyQuil (even a half dose puts me out for easily 14 hours), and I wanted no chance of me sleeping through my alarm.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't drink any on exam day. I had a glass of water with breakfast, but that was it for fluids until the first break. I didn't pay attention to what I had for breakfast--I knew not to go sugar-heavy, but I think I had a breakfast sandwich and half a banana? I was limited to what my hotel's free breakfast offered since I couldn't afford to buy breakfast after shelling out for the hotel...

1st break: A few sips of gatorade
2nd break: More gatorade, a little water, carrots and some cheese-and-herb dip, some trail mix (dried cranberries, almonds, cashews) and a few dark chocolate-covered espresso beans.
3rd break: A little bit more water, some more espresso beans

I was having the same problem with falling asleep/dozing off during bio/biochem on my practice tests but I did not have that problem on test day. Nerves helped a little, too.

EDIT: I knew my nerves would be in full gear during the exam so I purposefully wore some jewelry I could fidget with. I always wear a ring, which was easy to fiddle with and didn't cause any concern with Prometric staff. Just a way to dissipate some of those extra nerves/that extra caffeine jolt.

Nice. I guess I don't realize how lucky I am to be so close to the testing centers here. Glad you managed to get some breakfast after bending over for hotel costs and other expenses.

Expresso beans....interesting.

I don't wear jewelry, but I do twiddle with the pencil they give us. Thanks for the tip!

Everyone's test strategy is a little different.

Over the years of major computer based tests, I've settled on "drink so much coffee that I almost die, go into battle-trance, only take breaks for drinking more coffee and urinating it out again if absolutely needed".

It does wonders for the length of the test, but perhaps not so much for healthy heart rates. I probably can't recommend it to anyone.

If there's a diagnostic for "Post Test Trauma"....I think you've covered it.

Part of it is practice. On test day, energy is a lot higher. I drank a fruit and veggie smoothie during lunch along with a iron/protein heavy salad and a chocolate for some sugar. I drank water and ate almonds every break while walking a lap around the testing center trying to keep my head as empty as possible.

Dat veggie/fruit smoothie doe.

I used to chug those things straight from the bottle (buying in bulk was cheaper than individual small bottles....Naked is expensive as hell).

It grossed the girlfriend out but hey, I'm not getting scurvy any time soon.

I guess one's level of anxiety plays a role, here. I drank coffee the morning of, then just had some juice and a footlong from subway for lunch. I was surprisingly chill the whole time. Sat outside under a tree and ate my lunch, calmly finished my exam with tons of time left and drove 1.5 hrs home.

From my experience -- FL practice exams. Lots of them. Don't worry so much about the timing bollocks. Work steadily and calmly during your practice tests so you'll be steady and calm during the real thing. Build that stamina. Get used to it. Maybe you won't have to hype up on so much caffeine, then ;)

I always crash after a foot long meatball marinara....but its so yummy.

Will do. Right now I'm just pushing blocks of 1.5 hrs for sections. Should probably do at least 1 more full length before exam day.

I don't really drink coffee or caffeine. Just got a good nights sleep and did it. I think having 3-4 hour long tests for most science classes in college helped a bunch with stamina. By the end of it I felt like I could do another couple sections if I had to, since a lot of it wasn't super difficult calculations (which slow me down), just logical thinking and applied knowledge

I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but for lunch I had jimmy john's and a cookie, it was delicious. Looking around it seems like I was the only one that brought real food - which I recommend doing.

A lot of my classes are 2-3 hours long at night.

It definitely helped me figure out where my weak points were and how long it took me to get out of focus.

Real food would work wonders instead of something cold.

I brought a sub but only ended up taking a few bites of it. Mainly had Cheetos and candy for lunch. IMO, there's a time to be healthy, and there's a time for comfort food...

I thrive on stress, anxiety, and little sleep, so I was set.

I just didn't eat much and only ate nonbulky foods (banana, yogurt). Being bloated is the only thing that would've thrown me off my game.

Dat veggie/fruit smoothie doe.

I used to chug those things straight from the bottle (buying in bulk was cheaper than individual small bottles....Naked is expensive as hell).

It grossed the girlfriend out but hey, I'm not getting scurvy any time soon.

It's the only super easy breakfast I can drink as I go that I like. I've tried protein shakes but they have all tasted gross to me