MCAT start approach suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a rising junior in college. I plan to take the MCAT in April or May of next year. I want to potentially start studying for it this summer, or at least have a plan in mind for when/how I should study. My issue is that I have not taken sociology, physics, orgo II, or biochem yet, and I know that biochem especially is very important for the MCAT and will be a huge portion of the exam.

I will take physics 2/orgo II next fall and physics 1/biochem (and maybe sociology; otherwise, I may just self-study that portion) in the spring (I know that's cutting it a bit close but I didn't have any other choice). I also have high school background in (AP) physics.

If I start studying now, there will be a lot of material that I haven't learned yet, primarily from biochem and orgo II. I guess I just don't really know how to even begin/what the smartest way to approach this is?

Should I just review the material that I've already taken courses for and not necessarily focus on doing, say, practice MCAT questions? (General bio, general chem, psychology, orgo I)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should plan out my MCAT studying, and especially if you've had similar experiences? What worked for you?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.