MCAT Study Materials Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lSnowman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been browsing through the 509+ study skills sub forum and it seems like everyone uses several different study materials for different sections. Generally, do people by a book set to review content, or different books for different sections. Same seems to go for practice tests, can you buy different practice test sets from say Kaplan or TPR without taking one of their courses?

I seem to have noticed that people often use Khan Academy for P / S and EK 1001 for CARS and then a mixture of other materials for the other sections.

Members don't see this ad.

It honestly depends; there's no correct answer.

For content review, I'd say it really doesn't matter much except for P/S, where I've seen most people recommend using TPR because it's pretty good. I personally bought the TPR box set, but it really depends on how much content review you feel you need. There are some companies that are much more detailed than others. For instance, I found TPR to be waaaay too much info, but I wanted thorough content review. So, that's kind of a decision you have to make for yourself based on your needs. I would definitely recommend TPR + KA for psych though (KA for topics that the TPR books leave out, like experimental design).

As far as practice exams: yes, you can buy different ones from different companies without taking the courses. If you buy a book or box set from a company, usually you'll get access to a couple of practice exams included from that. You can purchase additional ones on your own though. Kaplan and TPR practice tests are generally not super recommended because they aren't representative of the real MCAT-- they're harder and scores are severely deflated. Best exams are AAMC obviously, then ExamKrackers & Next Step. If you sign up for an account with NS, you get access to a free FL and a free 1/2 length diagnostic exam. Hope this helps! :)

Well thanks a lot for the input and the tip about next step. That does shed some light on the whole situation. There is just so many different companies and resources, it all gets pretty hazy.

Well thanks a lot for the input and the tip about next step. That does shed some light on the whole situation. There is just so many different companies and resources, it all gets pretty hazy.
I know, it can seem like a lot! But you'll figure out what works for you and be fine :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where can you buy full length practice exams? I've been looking around on Examkrackers and Kaplan and I can't find anything of the sort.

NEXT STEP PREP & AAMC HAS FULL LENGTH EXAMS

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thanks.

So do you guys think it would be adequate to review content with the Kaplan book set + EK 101 for CARS and then use next step+AAMC practice exams along with those included in the Kaplan set?

Okay thanks.

So do you guys think it would be adequate to review content with the Kaplan book set + EK 101 for CARS and then use next step+AAMC practice exams along with those included in the Kaplan set?
sounds good to me!!