MCAT studying diary Exam 8/2/2013. Journey to a 45? ha?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedirection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made public accountability stuff in the past in order to get things done and keep up with what I have to do

Anyway I'm going to graduate 2014 from College. I have taken nearly all of the pre-med requirements. I only became recently interested in medicine and basically crammed 7 pre-med classes into the past 3 semesters I had. That was not fun...needless to say I only did alright in my classes. I'm a social sciences major. I think talent/intelligence wise I might be a bit better than what's normal? Memory wise, I might be a bit worse than what's normal?

I'm going to post daily what I'm doing. Obviously the goal is to get to the 45

Took my first diagnostic, kind of took it spur of the moment on some Saturday morning, it was given by Examkrackers. I had gone out the previous night and it was early. Got something like a 20 on it. From that point forward I knew I had some work cut out for me. Honestly the exam frustrated me and I found myself walking out partway through biology

Overall Goal: Go big or go home. 45!! (15/15/15)

Tests taken so far
05/01/2013 Diagnostic Exam Krackers: 20: 6/9/5
Started Studying: 5/8/2013
6/07/2013 AAMC 3 Composite: 31: 10/11/10
6/17/2013 Princeton Review Hyperlearning Practice test: Composoite: 33 12/12/11

Other AAMC Scores: 37/39/36

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck tomorrow OP! From your earlier posts, it seems you were aiming for a 45 in order to push yourself towards the best you could do, not necessarily to actually get a 45. So, even if you don't get a 45, it seems like you're on track for a great score!

I failed guys

probably didn't even break a 13/45

I averaged 13-14s in PS

I doubt I even broke a 5 on that, it was impossible. I usually finish PS with 20 minutes to spare, I almost ran out of time

Verbal was whatever like normal, but I was so frustrated with PS that I probably screwed myself over here

BS: It was easier than what I expected, but I had to take a huge piss the entire time. I wanted to take a piss during my break before, but some dude went to the bathroom and occupied it the whole time. I was about to piss my pants...seriously

Orgo on BS was so random

No shot at becoming a doctor, I don't even know what to do with myself right now

Might as well become a Hooker

Probably got a 5/6/5 on that test

I hate everything

Waste of 3 months

I don't even know, i'm even second guessing god's existance

God damnit

I was too frustrated to do the experimental section

My mouse wasn't working, it wouldn't scroll...what the hell

Excuse me as I go cry right now

That was harder than any AAMC I had taken in my life

On the bright side, at least I won't have to take Orgo II and Biochemistry anymore!!

I was about 30 seconds away from voiding my scores, i decided last second in that 5 minute timer think to have it graded

If it went terrible, you can always retake it at another time (and its not as big a deal as you think). I hope it went better for you than you think. als

Members don't see this ad :)
You're being WAY too hard on yourself, in my opinion. But If it really was that bad, I agree with what the above post suggested.

A lot of people come out of the test, freak out and think they'll get a 21 or something and end up getting 34s and stuff. You'll be fine.

It's okay, guys. Drama queen here will roar back into action when his scores are released. Expect to hear a score that's way higher than his average and some scattered posting about "omg how did that happen" :rolleyes: Then this thread will explode with people calling out all the naysayers from previous pages. :rofl:

:troll:

It's okay, guys. Drama queen here will roar back into action when his scores are released. Expect to hear a score that's way higher than his average and some scattered posting about "omg how did that happen" :rolleyes: Then this thread will explode with people calling out all the naysayers from previous pages. :rofl:

I pray this is the case

Hahahaa, good to have you back. Were you banned or did you just take a break from SDN?

I pray this is the case

Don't worry, it will be. Not saying that your actual score will be what it is, but at least you'll have the propensity to report it as such to make this thread seem like less BS than it really is.

Either way, I'm sure you'll find a way to make a post that'll attract attention.

Haha I totally called this a couple pages back. I fully expect OP to come back and claim a 45.

Okay not fully, but I wouldn't be surprised, and I wouldn't believe it either.

Haha I totally called this a couple pages back. I fully expect OP to come back and claim a 45.

Okay not fully, but I wouldn't be surprised, and I wouldn't believe it either.

Many of us also made the same call. It's not a hard call........... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously guys? :rolleyes: Why do you care so much about OP? If he wants to keep a diary of his studying, who cares...I don't really see why you're practically discouraging him from doing so for no good reason. And even if dude is trolling, again, who cares?. Apparently you guys, since you keep coming back to put OP down, even after you've expressed your apparent apathy for his antics. :rolleyes:

No thread on SDN has endured so much fail as this one.

Doubt he'll score anywhere near a 35, let alone a 45. He must be a troll. If he's not a troll, then be probably has bipolar disorder or some other issues he needs to address asap, along with his awful taste in music.

Honestly deep inside I really want him to succeed seeing how he handles the negative replies. But he gives off a very cringe-worthy vibe. It's almost as if he's trying too hard to impress and gain popularity among the anonymous members here at SDN by lying about his progress and scores lol.

No thread on SDN has endured so much fail as this one.

Doubt he'll score anywhere near a 35, let alone a 45. He must be a troll. If he's not a troll, then be probably has bipolar disorder or some other issues he needs to address asap, along with his awful taste in music.

Honestly deep inside I really want him to succeed seeing how he handles the negative replies. But he gives off a very cringe-worthy vibe. It's almost as if he's trying too hard to impress and gain popularity among the anonymous members here at SDN by lying about his progress and scores lol.

That's exactly the point. Also why it's funny. Also why it's sad. Also why we "care." :)rolleyes:) Also why it's funny.

I don't know why everyone keeps assuming that the OP is trying to impress. Don't overestimate the impact of your own opinions, people.

I don't know why everyone keeps assuming that the OP is trying to impress. Don't overestimate the impact of your own opinions, people.

He is trying to impress others because he has been lying about his practice AAMC scores. He reported 2 different scores for his practice AAMC 4. He also go through great lengths to provide proof of his practice scores when any member sheds some doubt it. Also, he gets really defensive when members bring up how his practice scores are nowhere near his goal of a 45.

It's blatantly obvious that he is trying to impress people here and has some insecurity issues. Hence why this thread has been a failure and instead morphed into a satire of pre-med gunners. We are torn between OneDirection being a troll or somebody who needs serious guidance.

You are either being blind to his antics or you are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, it can't be denied that you are gullible.

He is trying to impress others because he has been lying about his practice AAMC scores. He reported 2 different scores for his practice AAMC 4. He also go through great lengths to provide proof of his practice scores when any member sheds some doubt it. Also, he gets really defensive when members bring up how his practice scores are nowhere near his goal of a 45.

It's blatantly obvious that he is trying to impress people here and has some insecurity issues. Hence why this thread has been a failure and instead morphed into a satire of pre-med gunners. We are torn between OneDirection being a troll or somebody who needs serious guidance.

You are either being blind to his antics or you are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, it can't be denied that you are gullible.

Gullible? No, I just don't care. It has exactly zero impact on my life whether OP is doing well or not...he's under no obligation to 'prove' his scores to me, and he had some explanation for the AAMC4 thing....a BS explanation? Maybe. But I 100% just dgaf. The only one OP would hurt by posting lies is himself, because our advice would be tailored to a case that does not accurately reflect his own. Our advice would be accurate for that situation, so it doesn't worsen the forum advice or anything (besides, let's face it, the people who would assume the OP's stated case was 100% accurate and that they should therefore do exactly as he does Don't. Use. The. Friggin'. Search. Function.)
So...why would I bother working myself up into a frenzy trying to prove how smart/non-gullible I am? I choose not to; s'not worth my time. Troll-hunting is way more of a waste of forum time (and way more annoying) than any non-spambot troll I've yet seen, and I feel no desire to participate. I am waay more likely to post against troll-hunters than trolls for exactly that reason: one diminishes my forum experience and the other is harmless at worst, entertaining at best.

Gullible? No, I just don't care. It has exactly zero impact on my life whether OP is doing well or not...he's under no obligation to 'prove' his scores to me, and he had some explanation for the AAMC4 thing....a BS explanation? Maybe. But I 100% just dgaf. The only one OP would hurt by posting lies is himself, because our advice would be tailored to a case that does not accurately reflect his own. Our advice would be accurate for that situation, so it doesn't worsen the forum advice or anything (besides, let's face it, the people who would assume the OP's stated case was 100% accurate and that they should therefore do exactly as he does Don't. Use. The. Friggin'. Search. Function.)
So...why would I bother working myself up into a frenzy trying to prove how smart/non-gullible I am? I choose not to; s'not worth my time. Troll-hunting is way more of a waste of forum time (and way more annoying) than any non-spambot troll I've yet seen, and I feel no desire to participate. I am waay more likely to post against troll-hunters than trolls for exactly that reason: one diminishes my forum experience and the other is harmless at worst, entertaining at best.

What I have bold from your comment best summarizes why I even post in this thread.

SDNers go out of their way to give some solid advice for OneDirection, but he blows their advices off and instead devises more weird study methods. He regularly makes threads with questions that have been answered hundreds of times before.

OneDirection's latest thread is advice on how the best way to study for the MCAT is using college textbooks and class notes. Of course he has never tried this method himself and has posted that advice thread as a result of his post-MCAT disappointment, which he attributes to studying from prep books that he considered inadequate. He puts blame on that instead of the plethora of asinine study tactics he has utilized despite constant advice from other on how his methods are ineffective and foolish (such as using only physics to answer all the MCAT sections). Disregard our advice and instead once again formulate a novel disastrous plan.

Makes a lot of sense, right? lol

What I have bold from your comment best summarizes why I even post in this thread.

SDNers go out of their way to give some solid advice for OneDirection, but he blows their advices off and instead devises more weird study methods. He regularly makes threads with questions that have been answered hundreds of times before.

OneDirection's latest thread is advice on how the best way to study for the MCAT is using college textbooks and class notes. Of course he has never tried this method himself and has posted that advice thread as a result of his post-MCAT disappointment, which he attributes to studying from prep books that he considered inadequate. He puts blame on that instead of the plethora of asinine study tactics he has utilized despite constant advice from other on how his methods are ineffective and foolish (such as using only physics to answer all the MCAT sections). Disregard our advice and instead once again formulate a novel disastrous plan.

Makes a lot of sense, right? lol

Did you miss the part of my post where I explained why I don't find those things as big of a problem as annoying s#!t like trying to prove how smart and non-gullible you are?

Awesome stuff guys. I just wish somehow, someway everyone in this thread could end up at the same med school and I would video tape it all.

Okay I may have overreacted a bit about my MCAT performance

I was going in gunning for a 45 and I usually go take practice tests thinking that I aced the PS Section

Then came a PS question that I was having difficulty solving...the math was just not coming to me and that let me to start freaking out ridiculously because I couldn't figure it out

That in the back of my mind during the rest of the test made the test suck as well as two "discrete-like" orgo passage questions in BS

I feel like my head wasn't in the right place when I took the test and I'm not sure why because I never have that type of problem with standardized exams

Although i have taken countless standardized tests AP, SAT subject tests, SATs, etc thinking I failed and actually not failing

but nothing is to say that the trend will continue because at the end of the day, every exam is difference

At this point all I can really do is expect the worst and in the back of my mind, hope for the best

Those questions are still making me bug out when i think about them and I'm afraid that my emotions from those questions may have ruined me throughout the rest of my test

Throw in the fact that I lack recollection of everything during the test except for those few questions and the issue is exacerbated

Not sure why people are still posting on this though because to be honest I don't really read what everyone is posting because I preferred to study my own way versus following a rigid schedule like SN2. This is not to diss that schedule, it's just my life was a bit too chaotic this summer to go about following that schedule that involved having so much free time. My studying this summer involved days of hardcore work combined with days of minimal work. I pulled quite a few all-nighters studying knowing I had a flight or something the next day where I could have slept

I will be posting my scores
Part of me is contemplating a retake because I know I didn't take the test to the best of my abilities and that's what annoys me the most. I would have been fine if I simply didn't know the answer. But that question in PS was a normal math problem and something was going on when I was calculating stuff during it.

I don't want to sign up for a another exam prematurely however. I did it for the SAT where I subsequently freaked out realizing I got a math problem wrong and wanting to retake. I then signed up for a 2nd exam as soon as I got back to my house, only to discover that I scored a 2370 with a 770 in math. Albeit, the retake brought my superscore up to a number that helped make college admissions probably a lot easier for me, I know that the MCAT has no superscoring. So I decided it's best to wait it out.

Unfortunately this means that I won't be able to take the test until January and by then I still won't have Orgo II under my belt as a formal class, so there's that, unless I want to take it post graduation

It's kind of an annoying situation right now contemplating among a few choices such as applying for schools even though I don't know what I could've scored, submitting my resume to places for a job for after graduation (finance or consulting), and spending next year doing research/volunteering

it's a difficult situation that I put myself into honestly because i decided on this whole medical school thing late [during junior year, leading to taking 5 pre-med classes in 2 semesters (Bio I/II, Chem II, Physics II, Orgo I)]

Whatever I assume the best will happen. I just have to maneuver this correctly. I guess it did make me realize one thing. I stopped caring where I end up in medical school now. Having gone to a top private high school and then harvard for undergrad. I had that elitist mindset. But with a 3.6 gpa with a 3.17 sgpa with an uncertain MCAT score at this point. I really have no idea where I could end up if anywhere

So I'm keeping my options open.

I'll leave you guys with this because you guys love my music tastes

[youtube]o_v9MY_FMcw[/youtube]

Last edited:
I did it for the SAT where I subsequently freaked out realizing I got a math problem wrong and wanting to retake. I then signed up for a 2nd exam as soon as I got back to my house, only to discover that I scored a 2370 with a 770 in math. Albeit, the retake brought my superscore up to a number that helped make college admissions probably a lot easier for me, I know that the MCAT has no superscoring. ans that I won't be able to take the test until January and by then I still won't have Orgo II under my belt as a formal class, so there's that,

it's a difficult situation that I put myself into honestly because i decided on this whole medical school thing late [during junior year, leading to taking 5 pre-med classes in 2 semesters (Bio I/II, Chem II, Physics II, Orgo I)]

Having gone to a top private high school and then harvard for undergrad. I had that elitist mindset.

Damn, son...those are some nice brag lines and excuses! I picked out my favorites for you.
That must be my problem, I didn't go to a private high school :( Good to know that my SAT is considered, at least by you, as a 'superscore' though, whatever that is. Too bad med schools dgaf :rolleyes:
The bolded is funny, though...even if I refuse to watch the vid!

I don't want to sign up for a another exam prematurely however. I did it for the SAT where I subsequently freaked out realizing I got a math problem wrong and wanting to retake. I then signed up for a 2nd exam as soon as I got back to my house, only to discover that I scored a 2370 with a 770 in math. Albeit, the retake brought my superscore up to a number that helped make college admissions probably a lot easier for me, I know that the MCAT has no superscoring. So I decided it's best to wait it out.

Whatever I assume the best will happen. I just have to maneuver this correctly. I guess it did make me realize one thing. I stopped caring where I end up in medical school now. Having gone to a top private high school and then harvard for undergrad. I had that elitist mindset. But with a 3.6 gpa with a 3.17 sgpa with an uncertain MCAT score at this point. I really have no idea where I could end up if anywhere
Bold is where my skepticism FINALLY kicks in... I spent a lot of time believing in OP, but now...

There's more bull**** in that one post than I've read in Fox News, but one thing stands out.

You don't go to Harvard. In the thread where you complain about the number of credits needed for a "premed major," you cite all the classes needed and said that at your school it would be 51 credits (or something like that). Harvard does not count credits like this. Neither does Yale. Neither does Princeton.

But I'll speak on behalf of us HYPers and express how flattered we are that you are trying so hard to emulate us.

P.S. You don't know how low/bad a 3.1 sGPA would be at Harvard, do you? LOL. Like, bottom decile low.

There's more bull**** in that one post than I've read in Fox News, but one thing stands out.

You don't go to Harvard. In the thread where you complain about the number of credits needed for a "premed major," you cite all the classes needed and said that at your school it would be 51 credits (or something like that). Harvard does not count credits like this. Neither does Yale. Neither does Princeton.

But I'll speak on behalf of us HYPers and express how flattered we are that you are trying so hard to emulate us.

P.S. You don't know how low/bad a 3.1 sGPA would be at Harvard, do you? LOL. Like, bottom decile low.

Wait, so the vast majority of science course grades at Harvard are above a 3.0? Jw.

Wait, so the vast majority of science course grades at Harvard are above a 3.0? Jw.

It's speculation at best, but probably. Many professors follow the 40/40/20 A/B/C curve. You'd have to actively and purposely ignore your responsibilities to get consistent B-/Cs. It's not as inflated as it sounds, though. Difficult material + super hard-working/already bright students = high grades. Makes enough sense to me. :shrug:

It's speculation at best, but probably. Many professors follow the 40/40/20 A/B/C curve. You'd have to actively and purposely ignore your responsibilities to get consistent B-/Cs. It's not as inflated as it sounds, though. Difficult material + super hard-working/already bright students = high grades. Makes enough sense to me. :shrug:

Makes sense. People who may squeak by with a D other places would probably fail out, and there would/should be a higher proportion of students who would get A's anywhere because they're bright enough and good enough students to rise to the occasion.

Okay I may have overreacted a bit about my MCAT performance

I was going in gunning for a 45 and I usually go take practice tests thinking that I aced the PS Section

Then came a PS question that I was having difficulty solving...the math was just not coming to me and that let me to start freaking out ridiculously because I couldn't figure it out

That in the back of my mind during the rest of the test made the test suck as well as two "discrete-like" orgo passage questions in BS

I feel like my head wasn't in the right place when I took the test and I'm not sure why because I never have that type of problem with standardized exams

Although i have taken countless standardized tests AP, SAT subject tests, SATs, etc thinking I failed and actually not failing

but nothing is to say that the trend will continue because at the end of the day, every exam is difference

At this point all I can really do is expect the worst and in the back of my mind, hope for the best

Those questions are still making me bug out when i think about them and I'm afraid that my emotions from those questions may have ruined me throughout the rest of my test

Throw in the fact that I lack recollection of everything during the test except for those few questions and the issue is exacerbated

Not sure why people are still posting on this though because to be honest I don't really read what everyone is posting because I preferred to study my own way versus following a rigid schedule like SN2. This is not to diss that schedule, it's just my life was a bit too chaotic this summer to go about following that schedule that involved having so much free time. My studying this summer involved days of hardcore work combined with days of minimal work. I pulled quite a few all-nighters studying knowing I had a flight or something the next day where I could have slept

I will be posting my scores
Part of me is contemplating a retake because I know I didn't take the test to the best of my abilities and that's what annoys me the most. I would have been fine if I simply didn't know the answer. But that question in PS was a normal math problem and something was going on when I was calculating stuff during it.

Unfortunately this means that I won't be able to take the test until January and by then I still won't have Orgo II under my belt as a formal class, so there's that, unless I want to take it post graduation

It's kind of an annoying situation right now contemplating among a few choices such as applying for schools even though I don't know what I could've scored, submitting my resume to places for a job for after graduation (finance or consulting), and spending next year doing research/volunteering

So I'm keeping my options open.

[youtube]o_v9MY_FMcw[/youtube]

I agree.

Every exam is difference.

Makes sense. People who may squeak by with a D other places would probably fail out, and there would/should be a higher proportion of students who would get A's anywhere because they're bright enough and good enough students to rise to the occasion.

Yup. Good to know that people can get that. Too many times on this site talk of artificial inflation and other trash of our grading policies has really made my blood boil.

For me, it's gotten to a point where I would definitely believe someone worked hard but only managed to attain a C or lower at another college, but if an HYPer has that grade (note the distinction from other Ivies like Cornell), especially in a non-science class, I know that bitch slacked off like hell or had other extremely serious issues to deal with. No way am I gonna believe that they did all they could do and got screwed by a professor or whatever and ended up with that kind of grade. It's curious to say the least.

Yup. Good to know that people can get that. Too many times on this site talk of artificial inflation and other trash of our grading policies has really made my blood boil.

For me, it's gotten to a point where I would definitely believe someone worked hard but only managed to attain a C or lower at another college, but if an HYPer has that grade (note the distinction from other Ivies like Cornell), especially in a non-science class, I know that bitch slacked off like hell or had other extremely serious issues to deal with. No way am I gonna believe that they did all they could do and got screwed by a professor or whatever and ended up with that kind of grade. It's curious to say the least.

Yeah I recall reading a thread a few years ago (though they pop up every few months it seems) where everyone was complaining and attacking people who went to ivies, saying that their grades were inflated and that all you had to do was get in and you're golden, etc.

Everyone would like to think that they're really effing smart. There are at least a couple highly intelligent students at (most) colleges, but at ivies there are a **** ton more of them. You don't need to go to an ivy to be smart, or to get into med school, and people seem to think it's a huge golden star on the app.

While the reality is, IMO, that students who get into ivies and want to do med school have a great overall package when they apply, and great resources to draw upon. But that's because they're typically very high caliber students and work hard. This breed of student can exist at any college, but they will likely be fewer in number. Innumerable consistently hardworking and successful alumni strengthen the name of your degree.

One of my really good friends went to an ivy and then on to med school. The name on his degree helped, I'm sure, but the rest of his app was exceptional. You can get in no matter what UG you went to if you work your a** off. People hate on ivy students out of jealousy, but come on...it's not like they were handed that ivy league acceptance (except in rare instances) or degree...they worked to earn them. I'm not mad I didn't go to an ivy, I'll be a doctor in the end anyway. I feel like people on sdn worry way too much about other people instead of improving their own chances at admission. You can't blame the "evil" HYPers like inycepoo when you get rejected!

Just out of curiosity, is this dude still alive? Haven't seen his point-less threads popping up on SDN lately.

Hi OP, did you get sqrt(2025)? :p

Don't let these buggers get ya down. I don't care whether you are lying or telling the truth. No one is perfect and it seems like you just wanted some support either way. Regardless of your score, what school you went to, or whether you took 3 SAs in 24 hours, I support you as a human. We are all just trying to move around in this silly world... seems like you at the very least provided these folks with days and days of entertainment! :laugh:

Best,
C

I know the post is from over a month ago, but it's still inflated. Ivy league means you were smart/tried hard in high school, which entirely disregards the fact that some people decide not to try until they are already in college. The fact that some classes have a strict 40/40/20 A/B/C curve is absurd.

First term freshman English in a 22-person class, my professor was the director of the English Major. Since it was first term, our school assigns the classes to the students rather than students signing up. My class was half Bio majors, half screenwriting & playwriting program students. 3 people received As, 13 Bs, 6Cs. We did a survey amongst ourselves because we all thought it was BS (half of us got Ds on our first paper).

English isn't my strong-suit, so I'm happy with the B. But I worked damn hard for that class because I knew it wasn't my strong suit. I had a full length (6 page paper) due every other week, and had an online post (minimum 600 words) due every Monday and Friday with 5 responses to other posts every week. To this date it was still the hardest class of my UG, easily taking up 15 hours a week for a 3 credit course. I Now how does my 3.0 compare to a HYPer? You're right, I sure as hell didn't work off my ass for it. You deserve the easier A.

And it is also obvious in non-arts classes. In my Evolution of Vertebrates class, I was easily in the top 15% of the class (with an average of 94% on every test and a 90% on my final group project) with a class average of 78% final grade. I ended with a 92 and received an A-, uncurved.

I'm not complaining about the fact that I feel wronged, my GPA is still solid and I know which teachers to avoid and which to take. And to all the people that bust there ass to do well in HYP, they deserve the A as well. Just because you tried hard in high school doesn't justify having an easier grading scale.

Obviously you are curved against harder-working students, but that shouldn't constitute more As and Bs than any other school just because you got curved into the top 80% of the class.

EDIT: I don't raise these points out of "jealousy" for anyone convinced that I want to be in the group of HYP (HighlY Pretentious). And stop using the excuse "it's so much harder than at regularschools" when you do poorly. According to Inycepoo you have to try to fail in order to get a C.

Last edited: