MCAT Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delf4660

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently set to write my MCAT in about 14 weeks while I am also working full time. I am looking for somewhere in my studies to "trim down." Does anyone recommend that I skim the chapters (as opposed to really spending 2 or 3 hours per chapter) and get right into practice questions and exams? I have taken: general chem, ochem, math, biochem, bio and other relevant courses already.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend to study hard now and start to take it easy before the MCAT. Last minute studying may do more harm than good as it is more important to be confident, well rested, and not burnt out before the exam.
I take the MCAT in 2 days and I'm lightly looking over things I need to review. Tomorrow, I'll not study at all. I'll just relax and try to not stress.

After you finish review, which should be about a month before the exam, start to do practice exams once a week. The last practice should be a week before the real MCAT.

On the skimming part, if you are saying you have not read all you need to yet, then I'd say it is better to get the gist of everything than to get really knowledgeable about a few areas. The MCAT requires a basic understanding of everything and the ability to reason with data to answer questions.
Keep in mind that college courses cover their own material. The MCAT may have other material that you did not see in those classes. This material is found in MCAT books.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
For biology and sociology which are very content heavy and memorization based, whats the best way to study? like in terms of specifics, do you think taking notes and condensing them (like how you would study for a midterm), then reviewing them closer to the test ,as well as doing practice questions is enough? how much do i have to know the prep books, like to what depth