MCAT test day Procedures: What to Expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm kind of freakin' out about my May 10th MCAT. It's more about the procedure than the actual MCAT. I've heard that they search you, and fingerprint you. It seems kind of intense. Is this true? What happens when you get there? How much noise is there during the MCAT? What separates you from other MCATers? Or, do you sit right beside each other? It seems like it would be sort of distracting if they start you all at different times. Are people walking in behind you when your taking the MCAT? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I arrived early, so I started early. I wasn't searched, but I was finger printed. It's a little finicky biometric print scanner. You just place your thumb on there. I think I had my photo taken as well. Then I had to sign some paper and put my stuff in a locker. They give you a key. I also showed my two forms of ID. Finally, I was led into the chamber of death...cough cough... MCAT testing area. It's separated from the log in room by a sound proof window. There's only one exit in the room so you don't skip out or something. You'll see lots of security cameras around you to make sure you don't cheat. There's usually the horrible headphones next to your station. The station consists of a desk that's separated by a 2-3 footish wall on three sides (to your sides and in front of you), a keyboard, and your old flicker happy computer screen. Yes, I had people walking in and then typing during the BS section. It wasn't a big problem for me.

At my testing site they didn't pat us down or anything, but they had us put everything into lockers. We were called in the order we signed in, and could begin as soon as we showed our ID, got our finger print done, and were in the testing room.

Also, not just people taking MCAT will be there. At this site there were a lot of people taking the test to become a stock broker, as well. Once you're done with a section you can get up and take a break. You have to use the finger print thing and sign out, and I guess you could take more than 10 min but the test will start counting down your time for the next section even if you aren't there.

I thought the test experience was pretty nice. My first break I talked with the staff about how many people they get and what kind of tests they give.

For the two forms of ID, I have my driver's license and my university id...will they accept the university id for a 2nd form? if someone could answer this asap id appreicate it because my father is about to make a 3 hr trp 2 drop off my passport!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the two forms of ID, I have my driver's license and my university id...will they accept the university id for a 2nd form? if someone could answer this asap id appreicate it because my father is about to make a 3 hr trp 2 drop off my passport!

I am pretty sure you only need 1 form of ID, as long as it has a picture and a signature. I, for one, only needed my DL.

My testing experience was great. I was super nervous because of the horror stories I had heard on here, but I had no issues.

The center was small, only 15 computers, all MCAT people. I got there early and started at 730. I took every single possible break---seriously, I was one of the last ones to leave, but first to arrive. It felt very mellow, despite being finger printed and having your pic taken. The room was very very quiet, and I had no distractions.

There was this annoying fan or something that kept buzzing throughout the entire test. That didnt bug me out as much as the girl that was sitting next to me. She wasnt taking the MCAT and was typing the period I was doing my PS. :mad:

Hi,
I'm kind of freakin' out about my May 10th MCAT. It's more about the procedure than the actual MCAT. I've heard that they search you, and fingerprint you. It seems kind of intense. Is this true? What happens when you get there? How much noise is there during the MCAT? What separates you from other MCATers? Or, do you sit right beside each other? It seems like it would be sort of distracting if they start you all at different times. Are people walking in behind you when your taking the MCAT? :eek:

Expect a form of systematic rape torture.

I made it late to my testing site, I came around 745 and the administer said I was late but allowed me to take it anyway. I'm glad I came late becuz I never had a chance to wait around with the neurotic pre-meds who probably were nervous as hell. I started my test free of nervousness in a quiet secluded corner.