MCAT Test Prep. Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wilsonlaguna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I took a practice test from a prep company (I decided it shall not be named) and I thought it was harder than the actual MCAT itself. Did anyone else noticed this?

I got a 38S on the actual MCAT and similar scores on MCAT practice exams from AAMC, but scored a 27 on the practice test.

Just curious since my fiance will be taking her MCAT soon and she's freaking out about the her practice exam scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I took a practice test from a prep company (I decided it shall not be named) and I thought it was harder than the actual MCAT itself. Did anyone else noticed this?

I got a 38S on the actual MCAT and similar scores on MCAT practice exams from AAMC, but scored a 27 on the practice test.

Just curious since my fiance will be taking her MCAT soon and she's freaking out about the her practice exam scores.

There were a few threads about this a couple months back. The logical conclusion was that the purpose of such an exam was to scare people into taking prep courses. I believe SN2ed has a great post about the utility (or lack thereof) of diagnostic exams. It would be worth reading through that thread.

What do you think the reason is that although you got a 38 on the real thing, a promotional practice test from a commercial enterprise resulted in only a 27?

There were a few threads about this a couple months back. The logical conclusion was that the purpose of such an exam was to scare people into taking prep courses. I believe SN2ed has a great post about the utility (or lack thereof) of diagnostic exams. It would be worth reading through that thread.

What do you think the reason is that although you got a 38 on the real thing, a promotional practice test from a commercial enterprise resulted in only a 27?

Yup, thought the same thing myself. I just didn't want to bash the programs yet until I knew that it wasn't only me. Thanks:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, thought the same thing myself. I just didn't want to bash the programs yet until I knew that it wasn't only me. Thanks:D

Is it bashing or just stating the obvious? You didn't comment on test quality, just the scores. Others didn't comment on the test quality, just the motives. I have a feeling you'd be surprise at how candid some of the sales reps might be about some of the methods they use to promote their programs.

Is it bashing or just stating the obvious? You didn't comment on test quality, just the scores. Others didn't comment on the test quality, just the motives. I have a feeling you'd be surprise at how candid some of the sales reps might be about some of the methods they use to promote their programs.

Yeah, it's not a blatant bashing, but it's implied that these tests are not the best representation of the actual stuff.

Yeah, it's not a blatant bashing, but it's implied that these tests are not the best representation of the actual stuff.

I'd say it's more the scale that is of issue. Whether the test is representative or not would vary from test-taker to test-taker, given that the MCAT varies from test date to test date. So it could have been a realistic exam with an unrealistic curve. Only you would know your exact experience, and it may very well be different than the experiences of others.