MCAT test time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Full metal alchemist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm currently a junior and I've taken all of my pre-reqs except physics 1 and 2. I'm most likely taking physics 1 next semester and physics 2 during the summer. I'm already planning on taking a gap year but the issue is I don't really have a good idea of when I should take my mcat. Would taking it in like May or July of 2018 be a bad idea if I'm trying to go to med school in 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend maybe taking it anytime between fall 2017 and Jan 2018 so the content is still relatively fresh in your mind and you can have some dedicated months to study for the MCAT. That will give you enough time to apply super early for the 2018-19 cycle, and if you don't do well on your first attempt you can still have enough study time to take it Apr/May 2018.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO, the last possible time that you should take the MCAT would be April 2018. You need to have your scores back by May so that you are ready to submit your application ASAP when the cycle starts. This will give you a leg up, even if it is just a small advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I'm currently a junior and I've taken all of my pre-reqs except physics 1 and 2. I'm most likely taking physics 1 next semester and physics 2 during the summer. I'm already planning on taking a gap year but the issue is I don't really have a good idea of when I should take my mcat. Would taking it in like May or July of 2018 be a bad idea if I'm trying to go to med school in 2019?
Hey! I am in the position as you are. The only difference is that I yet have to take Orgo I and II along with Physics I and II. I just started studying for the MCAT since I wanted to aim for Fall 2017.....it's a bit difficult since I can really review bio, chem, and soc/psych. I'm doing at least 2 CARS passages a day...and I don't know if I am doing good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I am in the position as you are. The only difference is that I yet have to take Orgo I and II along with Physics I and II. I just started studying for the MCAT since I wanted to aim for Fall 2017.....it's a bit difficult since I can really review bio, chem, and soc/psych. I'm doing at least 2 CARS passages a day...and I don't know if I am doing good enough.

I'm actually taking two gap years. Neither the MCAT nor my GPA is the reason why though. However, I do feel a bit of relief in that I now have more time to study for it(a summer is free for me now). Plus for the second half of my first gap year and the other gap year I'm going to be able to make money to pay for medical school and start med school with my SO. I would look into the best time to take it for you and not necessarily what everyone else does.

I'm actually taking two gap years. Neither the MCAT nor my GPA is the reason why though. However, I do feel a bit of relief in that I now have more time to study for it(a summer is free for me now). Plus for the second half of my first gap year and the other gap year I'm going to be able to make money to pay for medical school and start med school with my SO. I would look into the best time to take it for you and not necessarily what everyone else does.

If at all possible I think studying full time in the summer and then taking it in August/September would be the best timing. I'm taking it in a month and unfortunately have studied through most of the holidays!

If at all possible I think studying full time in the summer and then taking it in August/September would be the best timing. I'm taking it in a month and unfortunately have studied through most of the holidays!

With two gap years and a desire to get accepted at different possible locations for personal reasons I want to get a very high mcat to open more doors. So I'll do a majority of studying the summer before my mcat but also reviewing content and honing skills in the year leading up to it.