MCAT third timers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walcrawl12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm about to take the MCAT for a third time in April, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how medical schools look upon a third mcat. My last 2 scores were 26, 27 and I'm hoping to improve it up to a 30-31 based on what I've been getting on the practice tests (although I was getting around the same practice scores the last time I took it, so who knows) but anyways is it looked upon badly if i take it the third time, even if i do get my target score. I currently have an acceptance to a DO school, so do guys think I'm wasting my time trying to go for an MD school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

any other stats in addition to breakdown you might feel comfortable giving out? gpa? homestate? specific MD schools you are looking to get into?

Hey everyone, I'm about to take the MCAT for a third time in April, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how medical schools look upon a third mcat. My last 2 scores were 26, 27 and I'm hoping to improve it up to a 30-31 based on what I've been getting on the practice tests (although I was getting around the same practice scores the last time I took it, so who knows) but anyways is it looked upon badly if i take it the third time, even if i do get my target score. I currently have an acceptance to a DO school, so do guys think I'm wasting my time trying to go for an MD school.

Thanks

You may still have the potential to get into a state school. I know it is hard to cross into the DO route..but you can still get a good residency that interests you. What you must consider is your scores for each section---do they make the cutoff for MD early app. interviews??? You can still apply this summer and see how things go. I know a doc who went from a 27 to a 29. Applied late, and got in. But, this process is so random at times that I would consider it to be a risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just had a meeting with the dean of admissions at Texas A&M SOM today and asked him about this. He told me that schools (in Texas) take your best score.....no averages, etc. Thus, for instance, you scored a 20 on your third attempt, the committee would still base their assesment on the 27. Not sure about schools in other states, but if your applying in Texas this is evidently the case.

Sorry been busy, forget to check this and saw some of you wanted my breakdowns, first of all thanks for the responses, my breakdown is 10 phys science both times, 8 and 9 in bio sci, 8 both times in verbal

Sorry been busy, forget to check this and saw some of you wanted my breakdowns, first of all thanks for the responses, my breakdown is 10 phys science both times, 8 and 9 in bio sci, 8 both times in verbal, also I'm from illinois so looking to apply to mostly illinois schools since i figure I don't have much of a shot at out of state schools

People will probably be able to give you more specific advice if you stated a general range for your gpa. I.e., if you don't want to give your exact gpa, perhaps a range? Like, above a ____?

Regardless, good luck. I'm in IL too. If you've got a good gpa, volunteering/clinical experience and a 29 on the MCAT, from what I've heard that would put you in a pretty good position to get into one of the IL MD schools. Keep in mind that it's fickle though, and nothing's for sure.

My gpa, both overall and science is about a 3.7, and I've had a lot of volunteer/clinical experience

Thanks

wait, i am confused. have you tried applying to MD programs yet? or only to DO programs? can you defer your DO acceptance? people may call me optimistic, but by the MSAR, IF YOU APPLY EARLY (I stress this, cause I didn't follow me own advice and all my friends did) I would say that you have a shot at SIU (2005/2006 medians 9V 9P 10B, 3.63 overall, 3.53 science). small class though 72 matriculated/281 interviewed/973 applied (in state stats, no OOS matriculated).

otherwise, if you REALLY think you can get your MCAT up (30-31), you have a really good shot at nearly all IL schools except maybe NW. anyone else think differently?

EDIT: also, i wanted to mention that i see that you are pretty consistent on your previous two MCATs. What has changed that would enable you to get a higher score? (just trying to be realistic so you don't waste your time, I am not trying to offend you)

Not offended at all, it's a reasonable question, and the reason is I have done awesome on my practice tests, kaplan and aamc tests, prolly avging around a 32... this was the case also before I took it the 2nd time I honestly think I just choked that day, and got really nervous, and I'm trying to avoid that somehow.... easier said than done!!! On the other note, yes I have applied to MD schools, got an interview at Rosalind Franklin (aka Chicago Medical School) but nothing has come of that even though I felt like it went pretty well!!!