MCAT to be Competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevesme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated from undergrad in May, and have been on a delayed path for application (decided on med school late so i'm taking final pre-reqs). I have a sGPA of 3.30 (could go up a little with the completion of my last physics pre-req) and a cumulative gpa of 3.45. My undergrad major was in Clinical Lab Science (don't know if that helps) and am currently working in a medium size hospital lab. I have 700+ hours working as an EMT, and 100+ non clinical volunteering. I am planning on taking the MCAT in April and was wondering what I should shoot for? I would like to attend Midwestern's DO school, but am very willing to go other places.

Members don't see this ad.

While your GPAs are probably still below the median for Midwestern, with a good MCAT, say 507+; you have a strong chance there and really any other DO school you apply to

Reactions: 1 user
^ This

As long as you can break 500, you'll definitely get into a DO school (assuming interview goes well). Some even accept applicants with a lower MCAT than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Always aim for the highest! However, I heard Midwestern's average MCAT is on the high side. Can't give you an exact number but 505+ would look nice along your current stat.

An MCAT score of 500+ will be competitive for some DO schools, shoot for a 508 and you'll be competitive for all DO schools.

If it's any point of reference, I have an interview at Midwestern AZ on the 16th with a 3.35 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, and 508 MCAT.

Shoot for the highest score you possibly can. I believe when some people shoot for a score of 500, they may score sub-500 easier.

If you shoot for a 510 MCAT, then when you get a 503 MCAT or so, its not destruction to your application.

Reactions: 1 users