MCAT too low for great MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you are applying next cycle:

Don't retake. You have a strong app for top- and mid-tier MSTPs. Anything is possible, and the general advice applies (apply broadly and early) but I'd be surprised if you didn't get a handful of top-tier MSTP interviews and an acceptance. I'd advise option (2).

If you makes it feel any better, I have several classmates that matriculated to our top-tier MSTP with similar stats.

No program will reject you because of your numbers. It all depends of your LORs ... Relax, but apply to all top 15 or 20 schools. Every program is competitive. You will have choices but like any other applicant, you will get rejections. Do not retake the MCAT.

Don't retake. 519 is good enough to be competitive for every program. Research experience will be the most important component in differentiating yourself from others. Some top MSTPs have medians above 520 (Hopkins, WashU come to mind) but that doesn't mean that you need a better score to be competitive for those programs...