MCAT TUTORING and more.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniellevk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I know there are threads out there about tutoring, but I need detailed answers if possible.
Im now a senior, and haven't taken the MCAT yet. Im planning on taking it in the spring time.
I just bought my books and I really don't know how to study besides read the book, take notes and answer questions.
I was thinking of taking a tutor and was wondering who should i go too?

Also im considering DO schools. Im currently freaking out about everything. I'm a 3.33 total GPA but not 100% what my science gpa. (i haven't calculated it) My GPA is going up, slowly.
anyways for DO schools, which school takes the low of the low. I just want to set my minimum.

About me:
- Majoring in Biology with a Minor in Russian
- Senior at Wayne State University.
- part of a sorority
- part of PPMS ( preprofessional medical society)
- part of National honor society of leadership and success.
- part of the slavic club.
- 100 hours of volunteer work at a hospital.
- 50 hours of shadowing

I already received a Letter recommendation from a chemistry professor, and currently waiting on from a biology professor. Also have a letter from an MD.

i need someone to just push me into the right direction.

How should i start studying for the MCAT? For being part of organizations at school does it help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's a test. You study for it like any other - you go through the material, learn it, and memorize those specific things you think you can't otherwise grasp through a basic understanding. Then you do practice questions to gauge understanding.

Use the AAMC outline.

And this to decide what materials to get:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam

Kaplan is good for everything. EK is a solid supplement on everything but psych/soc. TPR is decent for psych/soc. Khan is a nice supplement for psych/soc. Most others had mixed/negative reviews for psych/soc.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you're not sure if you need a tutor. If that's the case, then I recommend you hold off that idea for now. It is quite expensive to have a private tutor (unless you have specific problems or concepts that needs discussion). Start studying using your books and see how you progress. If no progress made, then revisit the idea of private tutor.
You mentioned that you bought books. By which prep company?
As @StudyLater said, use the AAMC outline. Make sure you know everything they mention in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Kaplan course with my roommate and that didn't work well for us. I was advised to take a look at TBR by someone who scored 40+ and so far I like it. This is not to discourage you from studying Kaplan material. Every person has it own approach to studying, and you might flourish with it. But, if you struggle with content, I advise you to look at other prep courses (TPR, TBR, EK)

Reactions: 1 user
I took the Kaplan course with my roommate and that didn't work well for us. I was advised to take a look at TBR by someone who scored 40+ and so far I like it. This is not to discourage you from studying Kaplan material. Every person has it own approach to studying, and you might flourish with it. But, if you struggle with content, I advise you to look at other prep courses (TPR, TBR, EK)
Great thank you so much!

If you've got the dough to burn.

But almost all of SDNers have self-studied and did amazing! A lot of them have even shared their tips, tricks, and schedules. If you're motivated enough, you should be able to come up with a great studying schedule customized just for you. Good luck!